Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 turbo brake pad change

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 991 turbo brake pad change

Hi all. I would like to start changing my pads myself. Is the process for the turbo the same as a 991 Carrera?

Many thanks!

ross
Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm not sure what the Carrera process is, so no help there. General process is: Jack up the car, remove the wheels, disconnect the wear sensors, remove the caliper bolts, remove the brake line harness bolt (very carefully) and remove the caliper. Then lift the caliper out of the way and use a bungie or big zip tie to hold it out of the way while you work on it. Pop out the old pads, clean everything up, insert the new pads, insert the new wear sensors if you want them, and put it all back together. Pay special attention to the flimsy little aluminum bolt that holds that brake line harness into the knuckle - it breaks off easily, and can be a nightmare to repair in that case. It does not need to be super tight, so just tighten hand tight when replacing it. Everything else is pretty bullet proof. Be sure to use a torque wrench for the caliper bolts, too - and you can reuse them if you don't track a lot. Just apply some locktite on them, or just buy new ones as Porsche instructs. I swapped out the caliper bolts for studs from Tarrett, along with the brake line harness bolt, and the job is a breeze now.

There are several videos online that show it for the 991 GT3 and they have been pretty spot on. Aside from the tools for removing the wheels (covered elsewhere) you will need a few specialty tools for removing the caliper bolts front and rear, but it is not as daunting as it seems. The rear caliper bolt head is a Tri-square M14, and the front bolt head takes a T55 internal star. These need to be torqued back on, but watch one of the GT3 videos to get the values, since it's been a while for me. I *think* it's around 75 pounds, but be sure not to overtighten them, and double check this.

Also, Suncoast Porsche has pretty good pricing on OEM pads, or talk to Clark at Apex Performance for aftermarket options.

Edit: This is from memory, so please excuse any lapses.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I'm not sure what the Carrera process is, so no help there. General process is: Jack up the car, remove the wheels, disconnect the wear sensors, remove the caliper bolts, remove the brake line harness bolt (very carefully) and remove the caliper. Then lift the caliper out of the way and use a bungie or big zip tie to hold it out of the way while you work on it. Pop out the old pads, clean everything up, insert the new pads, insert the new wear sensors if you want them, and put it all back together. Pay special attention to the flimsy little aluminum bolt that holds that brake line harness into the knuckle - it breaks off easily, and can be a nightmare to repair in that case. It does not need to be super tight, so just tighten hand tight when replacing it. Everything else is pretty bullet proof. Be sure to use a torque wrench for the caliper bolts, too - and you can reuse them if you don't track a lot. Just apply some locktite on them, or just buy new ones as Porsche instructs. I swapped out the caliper bolts for studs from Tarrett, along with the brake line harness bolt, and the job is a breeze now.

There are several videos online that show it for the 991 GT3 and they have been pretty spot on. Aside from the tools for removing the wheels (covered elsewhere) you will need a few specialty tools for removing the caliper bolts front and rear, but it is not as daunting as it seems. The rear caliper bolt head is a Tri-square M14, and the front bolt head takes a T55 internal star. These need to be torqued back on, but watch one of the GT3 videos to get the values, since it's been a while for me. I *think* it's around 75 pounds, but be sure not to overtighten them, and double check this.

Also, Suncoast Porsche has pretty good pricing on OEM pads, or talk to Clark at Apex Performance for aftermarket options.

Edit: This is from memory, so please excuse any lapses.
Wait. Do you have to remove the calipers to replace just the pads? Obviously you do for rotor replacement, but I thought pads is just a matter of driving out pins.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Due to the caliper center forged "bridge" you need to remove the caliper to replace the pads. The configuration has changed vs previous years (turbo)..

For genuine Porsche pads and hardware >>give Sonnen Porsche a call. 866 Sonnen1 Speak to Neil, Ryan or Greg (manager).. Or

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/
Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 AM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How many miles on the car? Are you going to change the rotors as well? Or just the pads?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
Wait. Do you have to remove the calipers to replace just the pads? Obviously you do for rotor replacement, but I thought pads is just a matter of driving out pins.
Yep, calipers come off just to change the pads. Pretty amazing this is the case, but that's it. If you needed to change the rotors too, it's nothing to swap them out while you are at it. I like Girodisc replacement rotors, slotted instead of drilled is much more robust and ends up cheaper due to the longer life.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Thanks randy. Do I need a pad spreader?

i do track the car, hence the reason I’m tired of paying someone to replace pads (I buy them from sunset Porsche)

Old 07-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rcg412
Thanks randy. Do I need a pad spreader?

i do track the car, hence the reason I’m tired of paying someone to replace pads (I buy them from sunset Porsche)

Yes, I use pad spreaders. The PCCB rotors are not something you want to pry a big screwdriver against.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I didn't look to see if he has PCCBs and now realize if his car is a Turbo S, he would have them as standard. By all means exercise care around the carbon ceramic rotors, which includes using a spreader. On a CL car, get the center lock wheel alignment tool. On 5 bolt wheels, if you don't already have them, I suggest you get a pair of wheel pins (not just one). Use them so you can reduce the risk of chipping a rotor when removing and reinstalling the wheels.

Last edited by Need4S; 08-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Irons for me

Quick Reply: 991 turbo brake pad change