Sponsored by: Road Spy

Gt2 RS exhaust on a turboS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Georgemaser
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gt2 RS exhaust on a turboS

Is it possible to buy from Porsche the same exhaust they put on the Gt2 RS to put on a turboS?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

You will need to change the turbochargers also.. The reason is the large round mounting flange to the cat cartridge and bypass valve assy. I suppose you could cut the cats out and fab a 4 bolt turbo flange.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 AM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You would also need a new bumper...
Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Sam can hook you up with an equivalent turbo solution. Far easier to make it all work, too, because you will need ECU software to benefit from it. (And a new bumper and countless other stuff)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Sam can hook you up with an equivalent turbo solution. Far easier to make it all work, too, because you will need ECU software to benefit from it. (And a new bumper and countless other stuff)
Way less $$$, also...
Old 07-17-2018, 02:44 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

If you want something that sound similar go with the new Europipe with the 50cel cats. Having heard the GT2 RS in person, I find it sounds a lot like a TTS with Europipe.

The Kline is also a nice exhaust but it has a higher pitch than the GT2 RS.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
If you want something that sound similar go with the new Europipe with the 50cel cats. Having heard the GT2 RS in person, I find it sounds a lot like a TTS with Europipe.

The Kline is also a nice exhaust but it has a higher pitch than the GT2 RS.
That is exactly why the Kline is better than the GT2RS exhaust. Inconel, much nicer sound than titanium. Same (light)weight.
GT2RS exhaust is very similar to the Akropovic Turbo version (manufactures the OEM GT2RS exhaust as well).
Old 07-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The GT2RS exhaust system with the external direct gated exhaust valves will reduce and lower the backpressure more effectively vs a aftermarket exhaust system with CAT's in place.
Many of the aftermarket systems have restricted internal piping diameters which alters the flow to produce sound/tone "enhancement" I have seen this on the dyno and in datalogs showing load and engine flow numbers..
Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
The GT2RS exhaust system with the external direct gated exhaust valves will reduce and lower the backpressure more effectively vs a aftermarket exhaust system with CAT's in place.
Many of the aftermarket systems have restricted internal piping diameters which alters the flow to produce sound/tone "enhancement" I have seen this on the dyno and in datalogs showing load and engine flow numbers..
Kevin is correct. However, the complete Kline Inconel system (equal length headers, 100 cell HJS Race Cats) will even more effectively reduce back-pressure.
With this exhaust you hear the resonance of the material of construction. Inconel "wall thickness" can be extremely thin (that is why it is used in F1). In other words, sound is not achieved by pipe geometry designed for sound and not for optimal flow as is the case with Kline. I agree with Kevin. Those sound/tone "enhancers" indeed reduce power.
Inconel additionally has superior heat dissapating properties. Also, no CEL with the Kline exhaust. I track my Turbo S extensively.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just to be clear. If you have a silencer or "X" pipe with piping LESS than 3.0" diameter >> regardless of cells per inch in the cat with or wiothout headers the backpressure will be higher and flow LESS than the GT2RS exhaust with CAT's.. The CAT cartridges matrix of the GT2RS have internal flow channels that speed up the airflow to counter act the backpressure restrictions. You would have to run NO CAT's to come close to this engineered design masterpiece. With the gate valves open with this system the flow and backpressure exceeds everything except 3.0" diameter straight pipes (including headers)..
Disclaimer, I have seen and tested all the 911 turbo exhaust systems. This system really does perform well. This includes the new turbochargers..
Old 07-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

991GT2RS large turbine wheel and turbine outlet diameter. The next picture shows the new 991.2 GTS turbocharger vs our 991 Turbocharger

These pictures show the port size and turbine (hot side) flange sizing
Old 07-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin

991GT2RS large turbine wheel and turbine outlet diameter. The next picture shows the new 991.2 GTS turbocharger vs our 991 Turbocharger

These pictures show the port size and turbine (hot side) flange sizing
I apologize Kevin. I thought this was just a discussion. I did not realize you are selling the GT2RS exhaust system. Did not have the intention to P on your parade.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Gt2 RS exhaust on a turboS