Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

looking for performance upgrade options/opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:17 AM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for performance upgrade options/opinions..

so ive got my 991.2 turbo s on its way and have decided on Europipe stage 2 exhuast
going to do ipd plenum and y pipe
not sure of Champion, by design or AWE intercoolers...and why?
and then the appropriate tune...cobb, Giac, or custom tune to car locally by boys over at Hydra...

I've dealt with Tom for many year and tuned cars over at champion MOTORSPORT (GIAC) and ive been very happy with TOM
spoken with Sam and he's a great guy
used to use Todd over at EVOMS on my 996.

what should I expect to pick up HP and TQ real numbers to the wheels
thanks in advance for accurate information
Old 06-30-2018, 01:58 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

You pick up about 60hp. Personally I'd just do the exhaust
Old 06-30-2018, 08:06 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Without challenging the efficacy of the claims of aftermarket "upgrades", particularly with a Turbo S, with 580 HP and excellent handling, which, together, far exceed the ability of most people's driving skill (certainly my own), why is it necessary to have any such upgrades even if some actually do give you a few more HP (most of which HP will never affect your driving or even be truly noticeable to an amateur driver)? Of course, there is psychic HP, i.e., the excitement of believing (in many cases, caused by little else than louder and/or different sounds) that mods will actually change your day to day driving (though most of it is at speeds far below what 580 HP will give one to begin with and in conditions not truly requiring anything more than the already excellent car in stock tune/setup) or make one feel more like a professional race driver which, of course, almost none of us are (and if we really wanted to race [i.e., actual racing rather than "track days" or "tract events"], rather than attempting to make a street car into a race car, it would be quicker, cheaper [certainly in the long run] and safer to buy the best deal available to amateur racers, a Porsche Cup Car).
Old 06-30-2018, 08:46 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 473 Posts

I spent several months talking to owners who modded their cars, from one coast to another, it was always the same vendor names, a small list, and while most were loved by their customers, you still would hear the rare unsatisfied customer, with all but one name, that was Sam. Never heard of Sam and By Design, heard of the other vendors, they were all MUCH closer to me, in the end I went with Sam, sent the car traveling to Cali, 100% happy, No 1000% HAPPY, and NO 580 is NOT ENOUGH, wasn't for me, and I use all there everyday, and honestly when I return home after every drive, and closed the car door, I say a thank you to Sam, the car is so much more fun than it ever was stock, don't get me wrong it was fun stock, BUT NOTHING LIKE THIS. I have Kline headers, Kline exhaust, 100 cats, IDP Y and plenum, By Design intercoolers, COBB 93 & 100
646 whp 654 tq on 93
over 700 on both 100 octane
My car stock was 531 whp
Old 06-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Without challenging the efficacy of the claims of aftermarket "upgrades", particularly with a Turbo S, with 580 HP and excellent handling, which, together, far exceed the ability of most people's driving skill (certainly my own), why is it necessary to have any such upgrades even if some actually do give you a few more HP (most of which HP will never affect your driving or even be truly noticeable to an amateur driver)? Of course, there is psychic HP, i.e., the excitement of believing (in many cases, caused by little else than louder and/or different sounds) that mods will actually change your day to day driving (though most of it is at speeds far below what 580 HP will give one to begin with and in conditions not truly requiring anything more than the already excellent car in stock tune/setup) or make one feel more like a professional race driver which, of course, almost none of us are (and if we really wanted to race [i.e., actual racing rather than "track days" or "tract events"], rather than attempting to make a street car into a race car, it would be quicker, cheaper [certainly in the long run] and safer to buy the best deal available to amateur racers, a Porsche Cup Car).
I had the same opinion, until I installed an exhaust and tune. The car is more fun to drive, it sounds way better, it shifts at higher RPM's, it feels more responsive, just more fun to drive.

Sam by Design really helped me understand how robust these cars are and safe to mod, within reason.

I bought the car for the joy of driving it. These mods greatly improved the joy and I am very glad I did it.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:44 AM
IMI A
Banned

They're rocket ships with a tune for sure. But they're rocket ships stock too. First 911 turbo where I've felt its come with more than enough power from the factory. Stock 991.2 turbo s will destroy my manual 700hp to 800hp 997.1 turbo with big GT2 VTGS in almost every situation other than a straight line and even in a straight line up to 150mph I'd be behind. Amazing cars the 991 turbo s. Literally nothing can do what they can do with similar ease of ownership. Still went for the brand new 50 cel Europipe stage 2. Nothing comes close to Europipe for quality and fitment at a reasonable price.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

VERY interested in hearing your specific impressions of the Europipe 2 have u had the "regular one prior"
what else have you heard?
what specifically do u notice different and do u have any video clips
ty
Old 07-04-2018, 06:16 AM
IMI A
Banned

Not installed yet. I have EP2 on 997.1 t and very happy with it. This is meant to be even louder!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Spatia
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the EP2 on my 991.2TTS - it is soo loud and bassy that it totally changes the cars demeanor. My wife can hear me from 3 streets away in her chest - it is so nice to listen to. The bass is unbelievable. When in sport mode and using paddles - the exhaust snaps and burbles and cracks when leaning against the transmission slowing down. I haven't heard a Kline setup - but my guess is the new EP2 - un-marketed??? - is the exhaust to go with.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Spatia
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Ill try and get a video up at some point.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Phil From Fabspeed here.
I am a little late to this party but these cars are fantastic as-is but if you are looking for a little extra bolt ons are not a bad way to go easy and fun. Sam from By Design is also the man. I use him for most of my turbo builds and he does not disappoint. Please let me know if you have any questions I would be glad to help.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

thank you and YES post video of EP2
Old 07-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Who do people modify Porsche Twin Turbo cars>>
Virtually all of the Porsche Twin Turbocharged cars from the 993 Twin Turbo, 996TT, 996 GT2, 997TT, 997.2TT to the very latest 991.2 Twin Turbo cars have virtually no dymanic sports-car sound. These are fast great awesome cars and................. I have personally owned nearly all of them including a 2006 Cayenne Twin Turbo S.
But once again Porsche by design eliminated virtually any Sports Car sound and left lots of power on the table.
The 996TT/997TT had 4 catalytic converters installed from the factory. Very restrictive 700 CPSI catalytic converters. I laser cut and opened and made VIDEO explanations of what Porsche decided to do when building these cars. They chose to go Ultra Quiet.

I love Porsche Twin Turbos - but I call these call Nuclear Vacuum Cleaners in terms of exhaust sound. Porsche choked- buttoned everything up. Same on the 996 GT2- same exhaust as any garden variety 996TT.

The 997.2TT/ 997TT GT2RS still used the same exhaust as the street cars and still virtually no sports car sound. On many of these cars simply swapping out the stock exhaust for a Free Flow well engineered (actually engineered and dyno developed system) you can immediate gain 25 to 30HP and have faster transient boost response and make some flames. The car will never sound like a GT3 RSR at full wail I tell customers and people...........BUT with catbypass pipes or a German HJS 200 cell large sports racing catalytic converters any Porsche 993TT- 996TT-991TT and yes your car will and can sound like a slightly detuned 935 to 962C cruising and be alot more fun that stock.
Heck back in the old days I shipped systems for 993 Twin Turbos to Jeff Zwart for his Pikes Peak attack cars when ANDIAL was involved. He and they knew. A twin Turbocharged engine is an air-pump that simply wants to breathe!

AS far as who needs MORE power, speed and driver ability who cares!
My accountant great wonderful family guy drives a Prius, my banker drives a ford focus, my lawyer buddy a Subaru forrester and they all scratch their heads as do most NON CAR people say a car should be a affordable reliable device to get from point A to B. Some of you have likely been lectured by some of these people that Dont like or get the car enthusiast thing.

Obviously any of you Rennlisters or people that enjoy Ferrari-chat , McLaren life, Lambo-power and other car forums get the excitement, passion, speed and brutal acceleration from time to time keeps it exciting.

Ill have my guys post some Videos of a 2011 GT2RS and other cars............Porsche Turbos are easily and reliably woken UP with a super quality free flow exhaust systems and quality matching software tuning system.

Now Ill back up on a new Porsche Twin Turbo>>> the 2018 GT2RS--Porsche made the car sound great as far as I can see on Videos. Porsche actually for the 1st time stuck an exhaust bypass valve ......that routes exhaust from the rear/aft of the catalytic converter to the exhaust tip. This is a 1st and a major departure from all previous Porsche Twin Turbo "911 cars".
So now when the 2018 GT2RS has dual done valvetronic Rowdy raucus sports car sound. Finally they made a bespoke type system.
Fabspeed made a valvetronic over 4 years ago same style as the new GT2RS.
ILl have my guys post a video.

Fabspeed Motorsport USA should have several GT2RS cars in here for improvements soon.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Who do people modify Porsche Twin Turbo cars>>
Virtually all of the Porsche Twin Turbocharged cars from the 993 Twin Turbo, 996TT, 996 GT2, 997TT, 997.2TT to the very latest 991.2 Twin Turbo cars have virtually no dymanic sports-car sound. These are fast great awesome cars and................. I have personally owned nearly all of them including a 2006 Cayenne Twin Turbo S.
But once again Porsche by design eliminated virtually any Sports Car sound and left lots of power on the table.
The 996TT/997TT had 4 catalytic converters installed from the factory. Very restrictive 700 CPSI catalytic converters. I laser cut and opened and made VIDEO explanations of what Porsche decided to do when building these cars. They chose to go Ultra Quiet.

I love Porsche Twin Turbos - but I call these call Nuclear Vacuum Cleaners in terms of exhaust sound. Porsche choked- buttoned everything up. Same on the 996 GT2- same exhaust as any garden variety 996TT.

The 997.2TT/ 997TT GT2RS still used the same exhaust as the street cars and still virtually no sports car sound. On many of these cars simply swapping out the stock exhaust for a Free Flow well engineered (actually engineered and dyno developed system) you can immediate gain 25 to 30HP and have faster transient boost response and make some flames. The car will never sound like a GT3 RSR at full wail I tell customers and people...........BUT with catbypass pipes or a German HJS 200 cell large sports racing catalytic converters any Porsche 993TT- 996TT-991TT and yes your car will and can sound like a slightly detuned 935 to 962C cruising and be alot more fun that stock.
Heck back in the old days I shipped systems for 993 Twin Turbos to Jeff Zwart for his Pikes Peak attack cars when ANDIAL was involved. He and they knew. A twin Turbocharged engine is an air-pump that simply wants to breathe!

AS far as who needs MORE power, speed and driver ability who cares!
My accountant great wonderful family guy drives a Prius, my banker drives a ford focus, my lawyer buddy a Subaru forrester and they all scratch their heads as do most NON CAR people say a car should be a affordable reliable device to get from point A to B. Some of you have likely been lectured by some of these people that Dont like or get the car enthusiast thing.

Obviously any of you Rennlisters or people that enjoy Ferrari-chat , McLaren life, Lambo-power and other car forums get the excitement, passion, speed and brutal acceleration from time to time keeps it exciting.

Ill have my guys post some Videos of a 2011 GT2RS and other cars............Porsche Turbos are easily and reliably woken UP with a super quality free flow exhaust systems and quality matching software tuning system.

Now Ill back up on a new Porsche Twin Turbo>>> the 2018 GT2RS--Porsche made the car sound great as far as I can see on Videos. Porsche actually for the 1st time stuck an exhaust bypass valve ......that routes exhaust from the rear/aft of the catalytic converter to the exhaust tip. This is a 1st and a major departure from all previous Porsche Twin Turbo "911 cars".
So now when the 2018 GT2RS has dual done valvetronic Rowdy raucus sports car sound. Finally they made a bespoke type system.
Fabspeed made a valvetronic over 4 years ago same style as the new GT2RS.
ILl have my guys post a video.

Fabspeed Motorsport USA should have several GT2RS cars in here for improvements soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 AM
IMI A
Banned

Just to add without a tune and just an exhaust you pick up no additional horsepower on the 991 turbo s or 991 turbo.

ECU compensates for the free flowing sports exhaust and pegs power back down to 580bhp. Sound improves.

Quick Reply: looking for performance upgrade options/opinions..