Sponsored by: Road Spy

I've got a live one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:11 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default I've got a live one!

Hey guys, I need some advice and hopefully some leads from the higher powers here on the forum. I am looking for a 991.1 Turbo or Turbo S, searching between the Porsche locator and the standard car sale posting sites, I've found some that caught my interest. I am leaning towards this high mileage, not CPO, 2014 Turbo S.

My questions are:
1. Did anyone own this one here in the forum or know the person who did?
2. What do you guys think about buying a tuned, non CPO, 991?

I like that fact that this is on the low end of my budget but a bit hesitant if in the end this will cost me more. I am pretty handy and not scared to work on my cars but just wondering if this may be out of my league if something was to go out of wack. I've chatted with the sales person at the dealer and they've informed me that the car has a tune, an exhaust, and a radar detector.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:31 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Is all the maintenance up to date? Was it serviced on time? Have the dealer review the ECU for anomalies. How many miles?
When I was looking for mine I tended to avoid any moded cars. To me they were driven hard, maybe tracked repeatedly.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Pacific German
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

CPO is overrated and overpriced.
Have a pre purchase inspection performed, purchase an aftermarket extended warranty. In the end it will cost less than CPO!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

PPI is a good move, worth a quality evaluation from someone who knows the cars and can spot things quick. Avoid cheap third party warranty programs, they come and go. If you want some confidence get something factory, CPO is good for warranty but just ignore the rest, its marketing hype.

Last edited by nolimits; 06-26-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

What do you guys think about buying a tuned, non CPO, 991
It's a good price because of the high mileage and no warranty, you just have to realize if the engine goes you're not left with much in terms of value, although I am looking for a turbo or turbo s with no engine and trans so I can build a 4.0. As said if you buy it get it checked by one or two GOOD Porsche techs, have them do a compression check, oil analysis, this can tell if your engine is breaking down too, it can only help before putting out 100k
Old 06-26-2018, 10:49 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

The link to that car is not working, but I would say I have no problems with a used 14 TTS with a tune, as long as it's got a complete maintenance history, and either it should be available from any Porsche service dept or you must see actual receipts for the maintenance work done. Very few TTS are ever tracked, and most tuned cars are more for show than actual hard use. Have a PPI done, check the rotors inside and out (even if you plan to switch to steel) and the calipers, too. The caliper piston cups will usually tell the story on real track use. If they are cracking up or chipping away, the car has seen real track use.

Edit: found the car here: http://www.vanhornfleet.com/search/used-porsche-plymouth-wi/?cy=53073&tp=used&mk=50

Can't see too well from the pictures, but the rotor does not look as shiny as it should. If it needs new rotors, walk away at that price.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the guidance. The car has 58k mi. and did have a PPI done at a Porsche dealer in VA prior to being taken in at Van Horn. Everything checks out except that it needed rear tires, which Van Horn assured me that they changed, and a brake flush. The brake flush I am planning to use as leverage to get a few more pennies off since the sales guy told me they didn't do it to keep the cost of the car low. I am waiting on the CarFax and DME (if they have it) from these guys to see if everything checks out.

Funny thing, on the PPI, the previous owner's name appears. I did some detective work...not creepy...and found him on Facebook. I reached out for some real info on the mods and history of the car. Hopefully this dude is a car guy and helps me out. I am excited to have these horses in the stable.

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Is all the maintenance up to date? Was it serviced on time? Have the dealer review the ECU for anomalies. How many miles?
When I was looking for mine I tended to avoid any moded cars. To me they were driven hard, maybe tracked repeatedly.
Originally Posted by Randyc151
The link to that car is not working, but I would say I have no problems with a used 14 TTS with a tune, as long as it's got a complete maintenance history, and either it should be available from any Porsche service dept or you must see actual receipts for the maintenance work done. Very few TTS are ever tracked, and most tuned cars are more for show than actual hard use. Have a PPI done, check the rotors inside and out (even if you plan to switch to steel) and the calipers, too. The caliper piston cups will usually tell the story on real track use. If they are cracking up or chipping away, the car has seen real track use.

Edit: found the car here: http://www.vanhornfleet.com/search/u...&tp=used&mk=50

Can't see too well from the pictures, but the rotor does not look as shiny as it should. If it needs new rotors, walk away at that price.
Good point Randy. I will make sure to get photos of the brakes. Do you think the rotors are not as shiny because they haven't been used in a bit? I am relying on photos from the dealer/sales person because I am in NYC and the car is in WI.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aft86
Good point Randy. I will make sure to get photos of the brakes. Do you think the rotors are not as shiny because they haven't been used in a bit? I am relying on photos from the dealer/sales person because I am in NYC and the car is in WI.
Nope, they have no steel in them, so they don't get dingy when sitting. For regular road use, they should be almost like a mirror, like the example below. If it had a CPO inspection, they'd check them, but just a PPI probably would not check it. Porsche dealers, in general, know nothing about those brakes as a rule. Just be suspicious until proven otherwise, based on that one picture. It looks a bit more dirty than it should, IMHO. If you can get better pictures of the rotors, post them and let us take a look.

Here's a good example of a nice rotor:

Versus this admittedly murky picture:

See the more pronounced dark circular pattern of crap on this one? It might just be the angle or something, but I'd get them to drive it out to lunch to clean them up and then see what it looks like.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:38 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Nope, they have no steel in them, so they don't get dingy when sitting. For regular road use, they should be almost like a mirror, like the example below. If it had a CPO inspection, they'd check them, but just a PPI probably would not check it. Porsche dealers, in general, know nothing about those brakes as a rule. Just be suspicious until proven otherwise, based on that one picture. It looks a bit more dirty than it should, IMHO. If you can get better pictures of the rotors, post them and let us take a look.

Here's a good example of a nice rotor:

Versus this admittedly murky picture:

See the more pronounced dark circular pattern of crap on this one? It might just be the angle or something, but I'd get them to drive it out to lunch to clean them up and then see what it looks like.
Finally got a chance for an update. I received photos of the brakes from the sales person. Judging from the other photos, I think these are in good shape, what do you think Randy?
Also, I reached out to the previous owner and he gave me a low down on the car. It has an Armytrix exhaust and a GIAC tune. He assured me that the car was in good shape and the only thing it needed was the tires and an oil change/60k service/spark plugs, etc. He moved on to a Viper and so he traded in his 911.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Yep, from a visual inspection of just the outside half of the rotors, these look perfectly fine. I would guess that the last pictures were taken right after it was washed, and some brake dust was smeared around driving it a very short distance to where it was shot. A quick drive will clean that up, which is what I expect happened in this case.

Caveat: There is a very minimal chance, but it's technically possible the inside face of the rotor has damage but the outside face is fine. I'm not trying to spook you, but just covering my own butt in the very unlikely event this happens. I say this because when I ruined my last pair of front rotors ($13,500 for 2 replacement rotors in parts alone!!!) the outside was perfect while the inside face was gone.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:10 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Yep, from a visual inspection of just the outside half of the rotors, these look perfectly fine. I would guess that the last pictures were taken right after it was washed, and some brake dust was smeared around driving it a very short distance to where it was shot. A quick drive will clean that up, which is what I expect happened in this case.

Caveat: There is a very minimal chance, but it's technically possible the inside face of the rotor has damage but the outside face is fine. I'm not trying to spook you, but just covering my own butt in the very unlikely event this happens. I say this because when I ruined my last pair of front rotors ($13,500 for 2 replacement rotors in parts alone!!!) the outside was perfect while the inside face was gone.
Oh no that is unfortunate! Thanks for the advice man. I will make sure to thoroughly check the brakes after the test drive. If I ever ruin the brakes on my own I think I would go to steel, PCCBs seem to be a worrisome feature.
Currently looking into the numbers, hopefully I'll close on this soon.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I say go for it. I just picked up my 2015 turbo S with 44,000 miles. It is still under warranty for another two months. As everyone told me, these cars are more or less bulletproof.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:46 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the advice to all. It's finally home!

Old 07-08-2018, 11:48 PM
sc532j
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats! Lets get some more pics...

Quick Reply: I've got a live one!