Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Spoilers no longer coming on automatically????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 779 Posts

The rear spoiler raises to the the first position at 120 kph (74.6 mph), which is partially extended. It raises completely at 150 kph (93.2 mph).

I find that I can see it raised to the first level in my side mirror if I lean my head towards the mirror. It’s visible through the rear window when it’s fully deployed.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:27 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Open your sunroof and check it goes higher when the sunroof is open.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
Open your sunroof and check it goes higher when the sunroof is open.
This works tested mine today, it is visable in rear view mirror.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:50 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With my sunroof closed, I can see my spoiler deploy as I can see just the very top when it is up . . . I see nothing when I pass the lower speed threshold. I do have to scoot up a bit to verify-- KH
Old 04-18-2021, 02:37 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just received the "Spoiler Failure - Reduce Speed" code tonight.
Random... I was in Sport Plus with Aero Deployed and was getting on the hwy.
Once up to speed I got the code. Now the front and rear spoilers will not deploy. At speed or manually.

Few threads and a few people seemed to have found electrical issues / gremlins. One had it fixed by just unplugging / replugging some connection.

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2021, 04:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Okay folks!! I need suggestions here before having to take It in. There HAS to be a hard code set or a connection that's just dirty or something I can check. Maybe a bad sensor for the 75 mph speed deployment that can be replaced.

I was driving in Sport Plus yesterday in town just before hitting the hwy. Spoilers deployed
Hit the hwy. got up to speed and must have hit 75 mph and got the Spoiler Failure displayed.
Spoilers deactivated with the button but would Never deploy again after that manually.
I pulled the positive cable on the battery today and I was immediately able to manually deploy them WITHOUT any error or malfunction.
Drove it again and just as soon as I hit the 75 mph sensor deployment, I get the code again. I did this reset and check TWICE!!!

Some people have been charged Stupid amounts of money by dealers to replace all the components to fix their similar issue but there's NO WAY mine can be anything other than an electronic / programming / code issue.
PLEASE watch my vid and let me know your thoughts and / or suggested fixes. Maybe there's a plug I need to disconnect / reconnect and / or clean that just malfunctioning. Where would these be????

Old 04-18-2021, 05:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
When you did the battery pull, did you try turning the **** to S+ to see if it static deployed ? Button works, but does the **** work ?
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Good point... I think I totally forgot that. Let me go check..

SO!!! No, it will NOT deploy just by rolling it to Sport Plus on the dial.

YES, it will deploy manually using the button but NOT just using the Sport Plus mode on the dial.

Thoughts??
Old 04-19-2021, 11:43 AM
TurboSF
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
How do you know if they’re not deploying? They’re not supposed to deploy automatically until you sustain speeds over 75 mph, and even then, only partially deploy. When only partially deployed, I can’t tell from inside the car as I can’t see them. Do you have a friend in another car telling you from outside at speed?
Deleted comment - didn't realize this thread was originally 3 years old.

Last edited by TurboSF; 04-19-2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: mistaken post.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboSF
Deleted comment - didn't realize this thread was originally 3 years old.

I did a search and replied to several threads found in hopes anyone could shed light on this weird issue I'm having.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:23 PM
TurboSF
Rennlist Member

I did a search and replied to several threads found in hopes anyone could shed light on this weird issue I'm having.
Yeah, hoping you get the issue solved. I replied to a comment earlier in the thread and then realized after the fact it was outdated so I deleted the comment. I think your suspicion about a wiring issue could be right. If there is a loose connector somewhere it could be causing that. Where I live if you park your car outside you risk rats and mice chewing wiring harnesses but I assume you park your car in a garage like I do.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboSF
Yeah, hoping you get the issue solved. I replied to a comment earlier in the thread and then realized after the fact it was outdated so I deleted the comment. I think your suspicion about a wiring issue could be right. If there is a loose connector somewhere it could be causing that. Where I live if you park your car outside you risk rats and mice chewing wiring harnesses but I assume you park your car in a garage like I do.

Well unfortunately it's had to be parked outside until I sold my 308. So you may be on to something. I'll try to keep checking, but will likely have to have the dealer figure it out.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:22 PM
TurboSF
Rennlist Member

Well unfortunately it's had to be parked outside until I sold my 308. So you may be on to something. I'll try to keep checking, but will likely have to have the dealer figure it out.
Got it. Well... good luck. My wife used to drive an Audi RS7 and we had to park it outside for a few months while we remodeled the garage. The rats got to a harness which required them to disassemble the top part of the engine and it cost us $3K to fix!

If you run into a similar issue you should see if your car insurance covers it. Many folks have said that can be covered through the comprehensive coverage.
Big Swole (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 04:21 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Okay folks!! I need suggestions here before having to take It in. There HAS to be a hard code set or a connection that's just dirty or something I can check. Maybe a bad sensor for the 75 mph speed deployment that can be replaced.

I was driving in Sport Plus yesterday in town just before hitting the hwy. Spoilers deployed
Hit the hwy. got up to speed and must have hit 75 mph and got the Spoiler Failure displayed.
Spoilers deactivated with the button but would Never deploy again after that manually.
I pulled the positive cable on the battery today and I was immediately able to manually deploy them WITHOUT any error or malfunction.
Drove it again and just as soon as I hit the 75 mph sensor deployment, I get the code again. I did this reset and check TWICE!!!

Some people have been charged Stupid amounts of money by dealers to replace all the components to fix their similar issue but there's NO WAY mine can be anything other than an electronic / programming / code issue.
PLEASE watch my vid and let me know your thoughts and / or suggested fixes. Maybe there's a plug I need to disconnect / reconnect and / or clean that just malfunctioning. Where would these be????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkNcbgUAmCI
One strong possibility is that there is an issue with the air bladder that inflates the front lip. You may have a small leak that allows it to be deployed initially, but that leaks faster when you are driving at higher speeds (where the air compressor would have to work harder/longer to keep the bladder inflated as the wind is trying to push the lip into the retracted position).

To validate the theory, you could raise the front of the car, deploy the spoilers, and spray soapy water on the bladder (back side of the lip). This happened to me once, and I had to replace the lip (under warranty). I have since damaged the lip again and replaced it on my own (my least favorite DIY -- its a real PITA)

Good luck
Big Swole (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

@Big Swole Start here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...matically.html

Links to several other threads. Your issue seems exactly like mine (tale in one of those —^ threads.) TL;DR: pressure sensor in front airdam pump failed.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
One strong possibility is that there is an issue with the air bladder that inflates the front lip. You may have a small leak that allows it to be deployed initially, but that leaks faster when you are driving at higher speeds (where the air compressor would have to work harder/longer to keep the bladder inflated as the wind is trying to push the lip into the retracted position).

To validate the theory, you could raise the front of the car, deploy the spoilers, and spray soapy water on the bladder (back side of the lip). This happened to me once, and I had to replace the lip (under warranty). I have since damaged the lip again and replaced it on my own (my least favorite DIY -- its a real PITA)

Good luck

I don't even think my car even tries to deploy at speed.
Everything, including the bladder looks perfect underneath and stays well pumped up.

Originally Posted by worf928
@Big Swole Start here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...matically.html

Links to several other threads. Your issue seems exactly like mine (tale in one of those —^ threads.) TL;DR: pressure sensor in front airdam pump failed.

What was the fix on that? Money wise?

Just weird that the button will deploy them perfectly, but the Sport Plus dial position and the 75 mph speed won't.

Has to be some sort of a sensor I'd think. Dang sure hope it's not too expensive.

Quick Reply: Spoilers no longer coming on automatically????