Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.1 TTS reliability (warranty related question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Thanks!
You got me, Haha
Old 06-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rcg412

if it is Porsche branded, it is Porsche problem if safeguard doesn’t pay up. That’s why I went with this warranty. ...
I think it is a fair statement and the reason it is more expensive. I also think from what you said you got a great deal.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
You got me, Haha
No sarcasm here. I really do appreciate this thread. Furthermore, I anticipate some big bills coming my way until our community develops workarounds (e.g. hacks, reverse-engineering, etc.) for the PIWIS requirements for many service tasks.

For me though, given the size of the 'family fleet', I think it makes sense to self-insure with the hope that I won't face too many 10k bills for work that requires the PIWIS before the workarounds surface.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I am on my 4th 911 and before that had BMWs etc. I drive my vehicles and I tend to keep them beyond original factory warranties. So I have quite a bit of experience with 3-rd party aftermarket extended warranties. Some better some worse. Couple of them did not want to pay for anything no matter what was stated on their policies. It required multiple tries for service depts and escalations to their executive management to have them approve a repair and often times only partially. Then the coverage...e.g., if your water pump leaks, but still works they not paying as they claim the pump being "operational" etc. Quite frustrating in my experience. BTW no two coverages are the same. It is mostly about how they read and interpret the statements on your policy. You need to be careful.

Two insurance companies I dealt with in the past filed chapter 11 and went busted during my contracts. In one case it took me 5 years to get the money they owed me in small installments. Luckily I got it. In the other case I never got anything back. Since then I decided against purchasing any extended warranties. Even from Fidelity although from what I read on the web it is perhaps a better one.

So when I was purchasing my TTS and the Finance manager at the dealer told me that there is a "Porsche" Porsche Service Protection plan I was willing to listen only because it was presented as a Porsche covered. Later I did the homework and posted results of what I've learned over here. The fact that they misrepresented what this policy is exactly (although they disagree they ever misrepresented anything and claim it is Porsche Financial Services one, no matter it is underwritten by Safeguard) helped me to renegotiate the price $2,500 down to what they told me is below a price set on this 10y/100K Porsche Service Protection plan by Porsche Financial. Take it FWIW.

I am still not sure I am going to keep it. The reason I am leaning towards keeping it now is that Porsche dealership's service department managers I spoke with told me that for them Porsche Service Protection Plan (i.e., as we know Safeguard underwritten warranty) is the one with which they do not need to get a lengthy approvals from underwriters as it works as easy as Porsche CPO. This may or may not be true or enough of a reason to pay more for it.

And yes, different dealers pushing different extended warranties and this is sure driven by their margins.

I am not selling anything here and not doing this to tell people and myself (like you stated) that I have a Porsche branded warranty with a Porsche booklet. I am just trying to be helpful. If I knew what I know now back on my purchase day, it would've helped me making my decision.

You decide for yourself.
Really good thread from a first time Porsche owner here. I purchased a new 2019 C2 GTS and declined the 3rd party extended warranty (Zurich) that was being offered by the dealership's finance manager. I did a little research on he web before picking up the car and decided to pass given the complaints, issues, etc.

Since my factory warrantee is good for the next 4 years or 50k miles, I have a bit of time to think about it, but since I plan to keep the car I will purchase an extended warrantee at some point in the future.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 PM
911tts-LA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look up Fidelity warranty. much cheaper and most people, including me, are happy with it.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Great thread. To add a possible data point, I'm at 30k miles with my 2014 (of which 20k miles are mine) and the only repair under warranty so far is replacing the cupholder magnet. I have noticed the parking sensors malfunctioning a few times but no other issues so far.

My CPO warranty runs out next year and I haven't made any decisions yet re extended third party warranty.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:08 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911tts-LA
Look up Fidelity warranty. much cheaper and most people, including me, are happy with it.
And what is a reason for that happiness, if I may ask?
Old 02-16-2019, 01:16 AM
911tts-LA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 2 small warranty claims and they did not ask many questions. Most dealers and shops honor it and no extra paperwork.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

OK, thanks. From what I read Fidelity might be indeed the best choice. Like I said, from my past experience, I do not trust any of them and would be hesitant to buy one. Having said this I decided to keep that Porsche Service Protection plan. I will post on how well it works, if I ever use it.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 PM
tallers
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2015 TT with 10K miles. My warranty runs out in Nov2019. I just received these quotes from my local dealer for the Porsche Vehicle Service Contract administered by Safeguard.

Here are 2 terms. Each have a $100 disappearing deductible and both expire at 60,000 miles on the car.

84 months is $5213.00 (3 additional years)

72 months is $4957.00 (2 additional years)

Are the costs reasonable?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I bought my car at the end of the lease period. I was going to try the CPO route but it was easier and cheaper to buy a Fidelity extended warranty. The car has been very reliable, but I did suffer an engine fan failure. It was covered subject to a $250 deductible. Apart from failed gas struts for the engine cover, that was the only non-routine repair (and the only one affecting drivability) in over four years of daily driving.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I bought my car at the end of the lease period. I was going to try the CPO route but it was easier and cheaper to buy a Fidelity extended warranty. The car has been very reliable, but I did suffer an engine fan failure. It was covered subject to a $250 deductible. Apart from failed gas struts for the engine cover, that was the only non-routine repair (and the only one affecting drivability) in over four years of daily driving.
what year is your car and how many miles? thanks

what did you pay for the Fidelity extended warranty?
Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS

2015, 28,600 miles. I can’t find my invoice for the warranty, but the receipt shows platinum level coverage and a $250 deductible.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 AM
tallers
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS

Here are prices from Fidelity for a 2015 Turbo with 11K miles. $250 deductible. I was told to multiply the retail price by 55% to get the actual cost. So the Platinum 7 year 100,000 mile coverage actually cost $7,118
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tallers

Here are prices from Fidelity for a 2015 Turbo with 11K miles. $250 deductible. I was told to multiply the retail price by 55% to get the actual cost. So the Platinum 7 year 100,000 mile coverage actually cost $7,118
thanks

Quick Reply: 991.1 TTS reliability (warranty related question)