Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Need quality used car for my Son.

 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM
  #16  
nycarrera
User
 
nycarrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 191
Default

I would suggest a VW Golf R. Its available in a manual and comes with awd. Second suggestion would be a Subaru crosstrek.
nycarrera is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 PM
  #17  
neil.schneider
User
 
neil.schneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Jersey(outside Phila)
Posts: 930
Default

About 10 years ago I bought my oldest daughter a BMW 325Xi. Fast forward to today. It is now been through three children and my youngest is driving it. It’s still runs great, is super reliable, and it cost me a minimum out of money to maintain. In the entire time I have owned it I have only had to do front brakes twice, two sets of tires, rear struts and the water pump. Yes that’s right I am running the original rear brakes. Last year I bought new front brakes and the mechanic told me the rear brakes were still fine and not to replace them yet. Every time I go for a drive in it, I can’t believe how great the thing rides and handles. By the way it now has 125,000 miles on it. And of course I had to do oil changes. It even still looks pretty good except for the dings and scratches and bumper damage that my kids have done over the years. I recently considered upgrading to a newer SUV for her but I know she’s not really going to take care of it. For now I’m just going to stay with what I have for her. My hope is that last until she graduates college in about three years.
neil.schneider is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:07 PM
  #18  
Misplacedyankee
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Misplacedyankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC, Dallas, & Vail
Posts: 1,173
Default

I got my son a 2006 (I think) Lexus ES330 with 90K miles for $7K. He has had it 1.5 years now. Spent about 2K on maintenance - its safe, reliable and not crazy fast. He did manage to get nailed doing 70 in a 35. The judge was generous to him, but I took the car away for a while...

So far the car has no dings or dents or worse and when he graduates and still needs a car for college I will upgrade him a bit to a 10-12K car.
Misplacedyankee is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 PM
  #19  
DJ23
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
DJ23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,173
Default

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee View Post
I got my son a 2006 (I think) Lexus ES330 with 90K miles for $7K. He has had it 1.5 years now. Spent about 2K on maintenance - its safe, reliable and not crazy fast. He did manage to get nailed doing 70 in a 35. The judge was generous to him, but I took the car away for a while...

So far the car has no dings or dents or worse and when he graduates and still needs a car for college I will upgrade him a bit to a 10-12K car.
Sounds nice. Did you get the car checked out before purchase, or did you buy from someone that you knew? Just curious. Seems like a good buy.
I'll keep everyone posted as to what car I get before the summer is over. Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

Jay
DJ23 is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 PM
  #20  
Misplacedyankee
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Misplacedyankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC, Dallas, & Vail
Posts: 1,173
Default

Originally Posted by DJ23 View Post
Sounds nice. Did you get the car checked out before purchase, or did you buy from someone that you knew? Just curious. Seems like a good buy.
I'll keep everyone posted as to what car I get before the summer is over. Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

Jay
I took the time to find a good one. It was at a dealer network that I bought many cars from and it was a one owner. No way the lexus dealer was going to sell a lexus used car that wasn't half way decent was my logic. It had the records and ran great. I knew I had to do the timing belt and the gasket went which was common and thats all that needed to be done aside from tires, but he goes to private school and was driving a lot.

I think Lexus/Toyota and Honda/Acura is a good way to go. I like reliable and safe for the kids. VW would have been the other mark and almost bought him a passat from a guy that seemed great, but day I went to pay and bring it home he couldn't get it started. LOL. I thought well thats a bad omen and continued my search. A lot of junk out there in the sub 10K market...
Misplacedyankee is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:22 PM
  #21  
phefner
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
phefner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 277
Default

We leased a Honda Civic...total cost for 3 yrs was $7,700 including some protection for dents/chips/lost keys. Did this in March of 2017 and its worked out great. Any used car cheaper than that only looked like it was going to cost well more than that to maintain. Only complaint is from my son..."Dad, why couldn't you get me something with seat warmers"...kid you not.
phefner is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM
  #22  
Michael_s
User
 
Michael_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 781
Default

^ kids got a point.. seat warmers are key.
Michael_s is offline  
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
  #23  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,505
Default

Their butts will never get cold if they're hustling to get ahead in life.
Penn4S is online now  
Old 06-22-2018, 04:15 PM
  #24  
khiroshima
User
 
khiroshima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 109
Default

You folks must have remarkably mature and responsible sons . . . NO WAY would I head in the directions listed above (respectfully), my plan is a used Nissan Leaf. A Leaf can be bought for a song (WELL under the $20k ceiling), isn't fast, doesn't have a long range (50+ miles, but plenty for a high school-er), have NO requests for gas money and best of all . . . Oh, you forgot to plug it in? Well, I guess you will have to figure out how to get to xxx (ie decisions have consequences). Sure, I would have loved to have had a cool first car, but I worked my way up the food-chain and appreciated every step; not a criticism of others' paths, but this is the direction I plan on taking. If we want to walk on the wild side, how about an early 2000s Boxter? Also not remarkably fast, but a fun car nonetheless; this can also be bought for a song. JMO, hope this is helpful to some-- KH
khiroshima is offline  
Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 PM
  #25  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,618
Default

Pretty hard to beat a used Jeep Rubicon for that purpose. It will hold its value, it's good all year round, cheap to run, maintain and insure and it's cool to boot...
sechsgang is offline  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 PM
  #26  
DJ23
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
DJ23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,173
Default

Thanks for all the help guys. Finally bought a car this afternoon that my son is excited for his first car. A 2014 Honda Accord LX, Silver, 80,000 miles with Dealer Warranty for $13, 000. Picking it up next week after they detail it.
One owner car with all the service records done at the same dealer of sale. Not bad. I test drove two other cars; one that was newer with less miles, a 2016, and the other a 2014 about the same miles with some added features, but it had a definite shimmy in the wheel alignment.
The 2016 was a lease car that wasn't cared for that well. And as for the car we purchased, the brakes are brand new, oil and filter changed recently, and the tires are at 50%. Pics next week. No just kidding. I'm sure it will service my son well in college.

Again I don't think I would have looked in the direction of a Honda Accord without some of the advice on this board. Many thanks to everyone.

Jay
DJ23 is offline  
Old 06-24-2018, 10:34 AM
  #27  
Nanook
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: ALBERTA
Posts: 499
Default


Good choice I'd say...my two girls cut their driving teeth on the same car...we used to call it the "silver bullet" ....finally had to move it on...just a note they can have head gasket issues...good luck

May have had an older model year than yours...
Nanook is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:28 AM
  #28  
Misplacedyankee
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Misplacedyankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC, Dallas, & Vail
Posts: 1,173
Default

Originally Posted by DJ23 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Finally bought a car this afternoon that my son is excited for his first car. A 2014 Honda Accord LX, Silver, 80,000 miles with Dealer Warranty for $13, 000. Picking it up next week after they detail it.
One owner car with all the service records done at the same dealer of sale. Not bad. I test drove two other cars; one that was newer with less miles, a 2016, and the other a 2014 about the same miles with some added features, but it had a definite shimmy in the wheel alignment.
The 2016 was a lease car that wasn't cared for that well. And as for the car we purchased, the brakes are brand new, oil and filter changed recently, and the tires are at 50%. Pics next week. No just kidding. I'm sure it will service my son well in college.

Again I don't think I would have looked in the direction of a Honda Accord without some of the advice on this board. Many thanks to everyone.

Jay
Sounds like a good buy. Great cars. Run forever and safe.
Misplacedyankee is offline  
Old 07-08-2018, 02:28 AM
  #29  
German_Saint
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
German_Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,692
Default

Toyota 4Runner. It'll last until you are grandpa and the grandson is driving it. My wife has an 2006 4Runner and it's a great car. 20k doesn't get you the best in the 4runner range as they hold their value extremely well. Her 2006 with 140k is worth about 5k less than my Cayenne S with 92k miles.. lol.. over 50k less than new.

you can check our stores

www.porschefresno.com
www.bmwfresno.com

not sure with shipping across the country I can get you to where you want, but at least you don't have to endure brain damage if you do see something you like. $2k from CA to CT on transport FYI.

Bests,
NB
German_Saint is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need quality used car for my Son.


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: