Sponsored by: Road Spy

Champion porsche won’t refund my deposit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

So how do we know that he's not getting his deposit back in the next two weeks or so? It took FLLPorsche 6 weeks to get his deposit back from Champion. This of course supposes that the deposit is refundable within the agreement made with the dealer.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Before I would post my anxieties in open forums I would exhaust all normal routes to get the issue resolved. If I find I had agreed to a deal and the result was loss of deposit for walking I'd accept and move on.
I agree with the above that businesses are going out of business catering to a perceived entitlement that we should always get what we want as customers no matter the perceived buying agreement.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What Randy said!
Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I know in this "social media" world we live in, we can go complain to the world easily if we are not happy with the results of a business transaction, regardless of right or wrong. Yes, the bad publicity is not worth the $1000. I get all of that. Were I the dealer, I'd have refunded the money to shut this guy up, even if I felt it was not owed.

On the other hand, my personal integrity tells me not to back out of any deal I agreed to. In this case, I'd walk away from my deposit without trashing the dealer in Forums like Rennlist and 6Speed, as the OP has done, for them living to the agreement of a deposit in exchange for a future car at a set price. A deposit is only refundable if the dealer literally can't get the car. Don't spout law or local customs to me, because I know that my word is my word, and I understand a deposit means I'm agreeing to buy the car at a price. If I back out and get my deposit back, great! If I back out and don't get my deposit back, I knew that was the deal when I paid it. Too many of us take advantage of businesses simply because we can, and this new age of social justice makes me very disappointed in our national culture. Did Sears ruin everyone with "the customer is always right" even when they are not right? Absolutely, but too many people lack the decency and personal responsibility to accept when they are in the wrong. (and Sears is about out of business now) Sorry to be preachy, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Moral of the story: Don't take advantage of others, even when you can.
How many people really take advantage of a Porsche dealer? Does that really ever happen?
Giving the $1000 back is just good business practice that makes good business sense.
Because they didn't, there are now MANY people that know the name Marco and know the Champion Porsche name as well, and neither are now tied to any goodwill for anyone who has read this thread.
Right or wrong, that is just not worth $1000 to the dealership, period.
Right or wrong, regardless, $1000 just ain't worth the bad press, not to me anyway.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Giving the $1000 back is just good business practice that makes good business sense.
Because they didn't, there are now MANY people that know the name Marco and know the Champion Porsche name as well, and neither are now tied to any goodwill for anyone who has read this thread.
How do you know that he's not getting his deposit back sometime in the next several weeks?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
How do you know that he's not getting his deposit back sometime in the next several weeks?
We don't. We just know that Marco told him "no refunds".
If he does indeed get the $1000 back, then the OP should go to the forums he posted this on (yes, there are more than just this one), and tell everyone he was taken care of.
From the original post, it appears that he is not getting the deposit back, or so he was told.
Whether the OP is right or wrong (we don't have that info as of yet), my point is that $1000 is not worth the bad press, period.
What is $1000 to a Porsche Dealer? Nothing, and this guy was not looking to buy a used 944 with 200,000 miles on it.
If the OP is ready to drop a 1/4 mil on a car now, he will most likely be doing so again in the future. Knowing this, how do you not give the guy back his $1000?
The bad press is not worth $1000.
I do not know the CP dealership as my guys are in NJ, but knowing that CP is making a stink over $1000 would make me think about NOT buying from them. That's the only point I am trying to make.
For $1000 (that cost the dealer nothing as the car will be sold at MSRP anyway), bad press is bad business.
My .02
Old 05-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

We don't.
Right. So it appears to me that there is quite a bit of drama here based on something that isn't nailed down yet.

We just know that Marco told him "no refunds".
That's not a big deal if indeed he gets his refund back.

From the original post, it appears that he is not getting the deposit back, or so he was told...my point is that $1000 is not worth the bad press, period.
FLLPorsche got his deposit back, and it took 6 weeks for that to happen. The thread starter here appears to be between 4-6 weeks into this, so we don't know what the outcome will be. As a matter of fact, he's been running silent on this thread since his original post, so we don't have (on this forum at least) any update.

IMO, this is a lot to to about nothing until we know what the deposit agreement was and/or we know what the final resolution regarding the deposit is. If in fact there was an agreement between the buyer and the dealer regarding the deposit that precludes the deposit from being refunded, then I personally don't regard that as "bad press" for the dealer. If there was no legal binding agreement and the dealer is not refunding the deposit, then that would normally require an attorney, and that would then reflect unfavorably on the dealer. My point is there just aren't enough facts that I'm aware of to justify coming down hard on the dealer.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:19 PM
RalphN
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a matter of law the dealer is entitled to keep the deposit. It would be different if a private party were selling only one car, but since the dealer has lost a sale he can't be made whole by selling the car to someone else.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

After the already bad press, why should the refund him now?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pointbye
After the already bad press, why should the refund him now?
Because they may be required to under the terms of agreement.

And what "bad press" is there if the dealer is in the right?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Because they may be required to under the terms of agreement.

And what "bad press" is there if the dealer is in the right?
Doesn't matter if the dealer is in the right. Negative press is negative press, and reputation is everything in business.

I am not defending the OP nor am I defending Champion Porsche. I am speaking strictly from a business decision point of view.

$1000 is not worth this, any of this, to any business (with the exception of other Porsche Dealers in the South and Central Florida vicinity.)

If I worked for another P Dealer as a SA or a SM or even a GM, and a potential customer was located exactly halfway between my dealership and Champion Porsche, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am showing that customer this thread.

All I'd have to do would be to send the customer a link to this thread, and say, "Do you really want to do business with a dealership that treats its customers like this? No, you don't, so buy from us and not Champion."

$1000 is just not worth that. At some point, someone is going to google Champion Porsche, and this thread will come up, Maybe not today, but if this thread lives on for a while, who knows.

Remember, the internet is forever. You don't want bad publicity out there for any and all to see. You just don't.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Doesn't matter if the dealer is in the right.
Sure it does.

Negative press is negative press, and reputation is everything in business.
There is a difference between negative press and accurate press.

If I worked for another P Dealer as a SA or a SM or even a GM, and a potential customer was located exactly halfway between my dealership and Champion Porsche, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am showing that customer this thread.
And that alone would cause me to walk away from the dealer showing me this thread.

Remember, the internet is forever. You don't want bad publicity out there for any and all to see. You just don't.
And there you have it; people placing too much validity on things that they read on the Internet that may not in fact be true...potential "Fake News".

If I were in the market for a Porsche I would not at this point hesitate to visit Champion. So far, there is no information in this thread that would cause me not to.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Sure it does.

There is a difference between negative press and accurate press.

And that alone would cause me to walk away from the dealer showing me this thread.

And there you have it; people placing too much validity on things that they read on the Internet that may not in fact be true...potential "Fake News".

If I were in the market for a Porsche I would not at this point hesitate to visit Champion. So far, there is no information in this thread that would cause me not to.
I guess you are a better business man than I am. I am of the thought process that no bad press is good press.
I need to rethink the way I've been doing business over the last 30 years for sure..
Old 05-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Most consumer oriented businesses do things everyday they don't have to. I am in the fashion goods business. On a regular basis we get customers that will return or write to us about product they have owned for over 10 years and beat to death in wear thinking that our product or any product has a lifetime warranty and would like a replacement at no cost.
We don't have to honor but in 99.9% of the times we do. Why, because in today's world people talk about brands and their purchasing and ownership experiences person to person and via the internet to thousands of persons. Its worth it to us to keep people happy with the brand and their ownership experience and we know most consumers will not act that way.
Its always better to be smart in business not just right.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I guess you are a better business man than I am.
That I don't know; maybe, maybe not.

This I do know; that the following represents some people's thought process...

Quick Reply: Champion porsche won’t refund my deposit