Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

New 991.2 TTS versus used 458 Italia

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:17 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Be careful, the Ferrari warranty only covers repairs, but on every visit you're guaranteed to spend at least $1,000 or many thousands:

Examples:

- forced change of brake pads when they have 50% life left, a $6000 job
- oil chnages (with multi-point inspection) per year: $1700
- Read the 7-years extended warranty exclusions. Things like the headlights, switches, buttons are not covered, and they fail in less than 3 years on warm weather even in the garage (I went through this on two F)

If you want exotic look, go Audi R8 v10 or v10+. If you want to waste money on normal dealer visits: Ferrari and Lambo.

570S is a great choice too, but get it under warranty at a discount used to not get hit much on depreciation.

991.2 TTS is an amazing car, I may be getting one soon, but it isn't a exotic. However, it makes a statement as the top Porsche 911 aside from the GT cars (GT3/GT2 and RS).

If you want exotic: 991 GT3 RS, this car gets more attention than my previous exotics, and it feels more exotic when driving than the 458 or 488 (the raw, loud experience from exotics missing in the newer Ferrari/Lambo except the Aventador).

If great sound is your thing: R8 V10, Aventador, F12, Huracan. I don't think the 458/488/Special have a bad sound, but the mentioned cars sound a lot better.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

My biggest reasons for owning a TTS? Build quality, luxury, versatility, toughness, reasonable maintenance costs, relatively under-the-radar, mod results.

My biggest reasons for not owning a V10+/Huracan? Less versatility, they don't seem to fit me well, maintenance costs, over-the-top looks, mods are spendy and cause even more maintenance.

My biggest reasons for not even looking at a 570S? Reliability, maintenance costs and depreciation. I know of several people who track their McLaren and have gone through more than one motor in a single season. Needless to say, this is not pleasing.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

To OP ..I think you second sentence says it all.." A very nice sports car".

The turbo S is clearly the best. I have very close friends that own Aventadors and turbo S cars and both say the Porsche is their favorite.

The Huracan is Audi , so its reliable and fast and looks really awesome to me. Took it out for the first time today since delivery 2 weeks ago...its really badass.

I also love the looks of Ferrari, however when it came time to payout...I chose Turbo S. We really have some tough decisions here, don't we.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 04-28-2018, 10:33 PM
bigbporscheguy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone. A very tough decision indeed. No doubt that the reliability of a 911 can’t be beat.

Im getting for a deal we’ll below market value. It’s not fully loaded but has its share of carbon fiber.

My TTS build slot I’m hoping is designated for a paint to sample buildout. The TTS can totally be used daily but I think it lack that special sauce.

I do appreciate the warnings on the reliability of the 458. Thankfully the car is covered with an extended warranty.

Those of you with a 458 - have you had any major mechanical or electrical issues?

Any regrets from 458 owners?
Any regrets from TTS owners?

once again - I appreciate all your words of wisdom.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:47 AM
zxt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad owns a huracan lp 580-2, brother owns 458 italia and 570s, i own a 991.2 tts and before i got my .2 tts local dealer let me borrow an r8 v10+ for 2 weeks. we get to switch cars any time we want since we live literally 2 blocks away from each other. i've also driven all of them on the race track a couple of times except for the 570s. here's my take on it.

huracan - this car is a huge huge step up to the gallardo in my opinion. it's fast, it sounds angry and mean, it's ****ing wild! every time i floor the gas it feels like it wants to kill me and can loose control of the car anytime but still i keep flooring it. the adrenaline rush it gives you is like no other.

570s - probably the only car that can keep up with the .2 tts and almost as practical and easy to drive out of the super cars i mentioned.

r8 v10+ - great car and can't say anything negative about it but i still wouldn't buy it over a huracan, 458 or tts. no idea why but i guess it just didn't touch the right buttons for me.

458 - i'm sure everyone already knows how great this car is since it's the oldest out of the bunch so i'll just say the negative parts of the car. it's the most expensive to maintain. you really have to take care of it. you can't drive it everyday since it's not a practical car, it's too low, radio sounds terrible and some times wouldn't work same with the glove compartment. every once in a while windows won't roll up or down automatically. when you don't use it for a couple of days once you turn the ignition on you have to wait a minute or 2 before starting the car or else all the warning lights would come on and you'll have to restart the car. when you don't use it for a week the battery will die and you have to jump start it. basically it's not the most reliable super car. it's the slowest both in drag racing and around the track out of the bunch. that being said this is my favorite super car i've ever driven, it sounds perfect, it drives amazing, it feels alive and has a soul of it's own. it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it, whether i'm pushing it around a race track or launching it from stop light to stop light or just cruising at 40mph in the city.

991.2 tts - i chose this car because it is the most practical and reliable super car. when you get in it you just know how to use it, unlike other super cars where you have to still figure out how to operate it. everyone here already knows how fast it is so no need to say that. and i needed the extra 2 seats so i can use it when my wife and kids are with me.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't forget that the TTS sound is easy to change if you're open to aftermarket options. They can sound quite good - it doesn't have to be a weakness of the car. I picked a TT because I want to put a lot of miles on the car so reliability and drivability mattered.

It sounds like you would drive the Porsche a lot more, but you'd feel more special in the Ferrari. I think that's the crux of it - which option will bring you more joy - more time driving and enjoying a great 911 or having time that feels more special with the 458. The Italians do a great job with theater and emotion, and the Germans build a great car.

We have a Range Rover Sport as a third and family vehicle, and if I daily drove that instead of the 911 I would have purchased a weekend car like the 458, not the TT. But if my Ducati hadn't self destructed a few years back and made me swear off the brand I'd have gone with the 911 anyway as I would just take the bike out when I wanted the visceral experience and taken the 911 when I wanted a great sports car.

Does a GT3 RS appeal to you? I haven't owned one but from reading your post it's possible it would split the difference between the TTS and the 458. Maybe not, but I thought it was worth saying.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

458 - i'm sure everyone already knows how great this car is since it's the oldest out of the bunch so i'll just say the negative parts of the car. it's the most expensive to maintain. you really have to take care of it. you can't drive it everyday since it's not a practical car, it's too low, radio sounds terrible and some times wouldn't work same with the glove compartment. every once in a while windows won't roll up or down automatically. when you don't use it for a couple of days once you turn the ignition on you have to wait a minute or 2 before starting the car or else all the warning lights would come on and you'll have to restart the car. when you don't use it for a week the battery will die and you have to jump start it. basically it's not the most reliable super car. it's the slowest both in drag racing and around the track out of the bunch. that being said this is my favorite super car i've ever driven, it sounds perfect, it drives amazing, it feels alive and has a soul of it's own. it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it, whether i'm pushing it around a race track or launching it from stop light to stop light or just cruising at 40mph in the city.
I disagree with some of this. The 458 is only marginally more to maintain unless you count things that break, and even then, McLarens are notoriously more expensive to fix. The front trunk of the 458 is also very generous; larger than the trunk of a 991, but the 991 has more storage behind the seats. The 458’s storage is easily more than or at least equivalent to the McLaren. The McLaren is also tighter in interior room compared to both the 458 and 991. The 458’s JBL stereo is fine, so long as you can figure out how to adjust the bass and treble. I have. I will say the Burmester of the Porsche is better, but the Porsche Bose is not. The car does need to be kept on a tender if not driven often, but most owners I know have not had the electrical gremlins described above. If he literally jump started the car, it’s very likely the electrical problems he describes are a result. Don’t do that, and you should be fine. I’ve found the car very reliable. It’s just in every year for fluid changes. By contrast, my buddy’s McLaren has stranded him multiple times requiring a flatbed tow. If it’s slower, it’s not by much. The handling and balance, and predictability, lets me push the 458 closer to the limit on a track than I dare in any 911, including the 991 turbo.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, the worst part of the McLarens is that McLaren makes them. lol
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Apbc2
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had a bunch of Ferraris. I had 2 458's. Now I have a TTS. They really aren't comparable cars. The sound of the 458 at 9000 rpm is beyond words. My problem with the Ferrari's was that I never used them. My last one was a 2013 458 Spider that I spec'd and got as new. I kept it 3 years and sold it with 2100 miles on it. I was afraid to take the car to places, didn't want to be perceived as showy or obnoxious. I wouldn't take my kids to school in it, etc. It was really a limited use car.
On the other hand, the TTS is something that I can use all the time and it draws little to no attention. Having the back seats is a bonus and when it's in normal mode, it's really a perfect DD. it is also faster than the 458 was.
Do I miss the Ferrari? Of course, sometimes. On the other hand, I use the TTS so much more, that I have no regrets. I don't care if it depreciates more, because I'm getting so much use from it.
Not sure if this helps.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 PM
bigbporscheguy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you Apbc2. that probably was one of the most useful replies. At the end of the day, I've decided to go TTS. I think for me, spending over 200k on a 5 year old Italia may be a mistake. I will one day get that Italia, but to be able to spec out
a brand new TTS in a PTS color is the better choice. Again, thanks to all for all the input.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:45 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
If you are in love with the 458 but merely like (respect) the TTS...go with the 458. At this point, it is all about which one you will enjoy looking back at as you walk away from it.
This!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinrubin
This!
And by the way, I ALWAYS look back at my Porsche as I walk away from it!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zxt
you really have to take care of it. you can't drive it everyday since it's not a practical car, it's too low, radio sounds terrible and some times wouldn't work same with the glove compartment. every once in a while windows won't roll up or down automatically. when you don't use it for a couple of days once you turn the ignition on you have to wait a minute or 2 before starting the car or else all the warning lights would come on and you'll have to restart the car. when you don't use it for a week the battery will die and you have to jump start it. basically it's not the most reliable super car.
Crazy. I never had any of those issues with my Italia or Speciale.

Last edited by QueueCumber; 05-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:26 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

As I said on the other forum, the answer is both...

Save money by getting a 2014 TTS and do some bolt on mods. The differences between 2014 and 2019 are marginal unless you're a professional race car driver (in which case you wouldn't use a TTS anyway). Then you can eat your cake and have it too...

That's what I've done anyway. I'm in the process of trading my GT4 for a 2013 458 spider because I missed the 458 series so much. 2014 TTS Cab with stage 3 (soon to be stage 4) by Sam for everyday, and the 458 spider for pure enjoyment.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by Randyc151
And by the way, I ALWAYS look back at my Porsche as I walk away from it!
Me too, to make sure I didn't park it too close to the garage door, or too close to someone who might door my car....

Quick Reply: New 991.2 TTS versus used 458 Italia