Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Launching Consistently - Whats the Secret Sauce?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:02 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

first pass ever with launch control , left in auto , Sport + , cut a 1.54 60ft with a tiny bit of spin, this is on stock tires , stage 2 93 octane tune and Kline catless exhaust. 10.42 @ 131.6 . not bad for it's first go .

Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure car is warm,
Put it in sport plus mode
brake paddle all the way
gas paddle all the way
let go of brake paddle
With good conditions, i put PSM in sport mode
Bad conditon, everything on.
I dont think anyone shifts faster than the computer
Old 10-24-2018, 11:10 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Back from the dead, I found this from some video of One Lap 2018. I was able to catch the "Missed" shift between 1st & 2nd. The car ran 11.1 @ 124 mph but the other stock Turbo S, 991.2, went 10.7 @ 127 mph. This was the last time this happened so I never did find the underlying cause.

https://youtu.be/E-8dIanEgiI
Some info about launching.

You deep staged by at least 6", your car is already rolling when the stage light is already set (easy to catch by the gateway challenge lettering on the center divider). Once you pre-stage, take your slow time to set to stage, especially when your pair (looks like Andy Hollis's car) is already staged (meaning it has an advantage on concentration and attention to the lights). Every 1/2 foot deep staged cost 0.1 on the 1/4 mile. Your car may have cut an 11.0 @ 125mph with proper staging. For the souls comparing these results to their best attempts, consider that One Lap of America is run on not the ideal prep surface, it is not ATCO Raceway were all the E.T. 1/4 mile times are so optimistic, the OLOA drivers are not on 116 octane fuel or 40 degrees weather, but they all run in the same conditions, and their collective results are more meaningful that one-of-a-kind maganize/youtube tests.

Then comes another factor, that 1st-2nd gear early shift may have cost another 1mph on the 1/4, but not a difference on ET. Considering that a stock 991.2 Turbo S has close to 40hp over a 991.1 Turbo S, those times look right.

I have launched the RS and TTS on competitive events, using 2 telemetry systems (and sometimes 3): Solo DL+SC, VBox Sport+HLT and in the RS the Porsche Track App. LC is awesome but the literature is poor as to explain how it works.

1) Regardless of being in manual mode or automatic mode for the PDK, if the dashboard reads LC enabled, the 1st/2nd upshift happens automatically
2) Depending on surface the car can early shift to 2nd, or bounce the rev limiter in 1st before going to 2nd (in my case, my car has gone 1st/2nd/3rd/2nd on LC)
3) In the TTS: :LC works with PDCC on/off, PSM on/off. Despite of the shock settings, LC soften all the compression on the rear shocks and stiffen the front for max compression, the shocks go back to their sport/comfort mode once the car touches 2nd gear. On low grip surfaces (where the car will still spin 4 tires in 2nd gear), launch in soft mode produces better acceleration numbers
3) Sport+ activates the performance aero, but these cars don't generate massive downforce. The 991.1 Turbo S with the spoilers in maximum downforce generates a little over 130 lbs of downforce at 125mph (and close to 300 lbs at 186mph), generally for 1/4 mile passes, the spoilers in low drag mode performs better, but the difference is too small. On a 1/2 mile or 1-mile long run, the difference would be sizeable. (My RS produce almost 3 times the downforce of my TTS at high speeds).
4) With the Cobb-PDK tune, and the agressive torque program, when launching in manual mode, LC holds the gears, I have had my best launches on street pavement (no drag strips, but regular pavement) with the Cobb-PDK, cutting multiple 0-60 mph in the low 2.42-2.45 secs on full pressure (38psi front 48 psi rear) MPS4S tires. The Cobb-PDK tune uses a soft LC for comfort mode, and an enhanced LC for sport or sport+, whereas the stock PDK tune uses one LC program for all the modes.

The enemy of the 991 Turbo S is weight. most cars are in the 3,500-3,600 lbs weight before driver (add plenty more for cabrios). My TTS is super light, 3380 lbs on low fuel.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Some info about launching.

You deep staged by at least 6", your car is already rolling when the stage light is already set (easy to catch by the gateway challenge lettering on the center divider). Once you pre-stage, take your slow time to set to stage, especially when your pair (looks like Andy Hollis's car) is already staged (meaning it has an advantage on concentration and attention to the lights). Every 1/2 foot deep staged cost 0.1 on the 1/4 mile. Your car may have cut an 11.0 @ 125mph with proper staging. For the souls comparing these results to their best attempts, consider that One Lap of America is run on not the ideal prep surface, it is not ATCO Raceway were all the E.T. 1/4 mile times are so optimistic, the OLOA drivers are not on 116 octane fuel or 40 degrees weather, but they all run in the same conditions, and their collective results are more meaningful that one-of-a-kind maganize/youtube tests.

Then comes another factor, that 1st-2nd gear early shift may have cost another 1mph on the 1/4, but not a difference on ET. Considering that a stock 991.2 Turbo S has close to 40hp over a 991.1 Turbo S, those times look right.

I have launched the RS and TTS on competitive events, using 2 telemetry systems (and sometimes 3): Solo DL+SC, VBox Sport+HLT and in the RS the Porsche Track App. LC is awesome but the literature is poor as to explain how it works.

1) Regardless of being in manual mode or automatic mode for the PDK, if the dashboard reads LC enabled, the 1st/2nd upshift happens automatically
2) Depending on surface the car can early shift to 2nd, or bounce the rev limiter in 1st before going to 2nd (in my case, my car has gone 1st/2nd/3rd/2nd on LC)
3) In the TTS: :LC works with PDCC on/off, PSM on/off. Despite of the shock settings, LC soften all the compression on the rear shocks and stiffen the front for max compression, the shocks go back to their sport/comfort mode once the car touches 2nd gear. On low grip surfaces (where the car will still spin 4 tires in 2nd gear), launch in soft mode produces better acceleration numbers
3) Sport+ activates the performance aero, but these cars don't generate massive downforce. The 991.1 Turbo S with the spoilers in maximum downforce generates a little over 130 lbs of downforce at 125mph (and close to 300 lbs at 186mph), generally for 1/4 mile passes, the spoilers in low drag mode performs better, but the difference is too small. On a 1/2 mile or 1-mile long run, the difference would be sizeable. (My RS produce almost 3 times the downforce of my TTS at high speeds).
4) With the Cobb-PDK tune, and the agressive torque program, when launching in manual mode, LC holds the gears, I have had my best launches on street pavement (no drag strips, but regular pavement) with the Cobb-PDK, cutting multiple 0-60 mph in the low 2.42-2.45 secs on full pressure (38psi front 48 psi rear) MPS4S tires. The Cobb-PDK tune uses a soft LC for comfort mode, and an enhanced LC for sport or sport+, whereas the stock PDK tune uses one LC program for all the modes.

The enemy of the 991 Turbo S is weight. most cars are in the 3,500-3,600 lbs weight before driver (add plenty more for cabrios). My TTS is super light, 3380 lbs on low fuel.
You called it that was from OLOA 2018, and we did indeed run stock class with what ever fuel we could find. The car was on 4's with NO spec with full interior. We still finished the drag race a second behind Mike's 991.2 Turbo S but it still frustrates me that it was hitting the rev limiter but it was not consistent. So the next run was a bracket run and I had to dial in against the 991.2!. Of course it shifted perfectly and I had to let off at the end so not to break out. Per you details above it appears that touching the rev limiter is fairly common so I will chalk it up to a fluke.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:56 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 473 Posts

My best results were first dump the Pirelli tires, I switched to Michelin PSS and much better traction in all conditions, the Pirelli's would just spin. I use sport mode, left foot brake, push the little red button in the center of the sport control and push the gas to the floor and release the brake, with stage 4 from Sam at By Design the fun never ends
Old 10-25-2018, 05:41 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

Cabs weigh about 155 lbs more than the coupes. I guess that amounts to 1/10 or so off the times in ideal conditions.

Quick Reply: Launching Consistently - Whats the Secret Sauce?