Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation! - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

 
Old 09-01-2018, 09:25 AM
  #31  
JR956678
User
 
JR956678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by Randyc151 View Post
For around town, the car is literally transformed back into a smooth ride. It's not Rolls Royce, but it's appropriate sports car but without the jarring or hard bumping. I switched into Sport mode, and the ride went to a much firmer setup, and I'd say it was somewhat closer to the old Sport+ setting, which is fine if that's what I want, and probably perfect for autocross. The next big surprise came when I set the car to Sport+. I could literally feel every nuance of the pavement right through the wheel and seat, much more so than ever before. I think that's the most exciting discovery. In the parking lot test, I don't exactly time myself, but the anecdote is that the car just feels tigher and more alive/eager. If nothing else, my confidence is up, and I will be with Mike and TPC Racing/DSC in a couple of weeks at VIR to finally put the car to the test with both my gut feel and the stopwatch!
This was the thread that initially peaked my interest in the DSC V3, though I waited until this week to pull the trigger because my 991.2 TTS has both a sunroof and Front Axle Lift and I was aware of the CAN bus conflict between the DSC V3 and the 991.2 platform and I waited until DSC had this sorted out, which just recently happened. Installation was a breeze and once I understood how the connections unplug even that was not at all difficult. My reactions pretty much follow Randy's - normal mode is unexpectedly comfortable - almost making me wonder at times "Is this really a Turbo S?". Sport mode is an absolute delight and I have little doubt will be my default for most of the time. My question though is about the above mentioned Sport+ mode.

From the factory modes are changed via the steering wheel mode switch (which cycle from Normal to Sport to Sport+ and Individual). From the factory, Normal mode and Sport mode chassis are the same but Sport+ mode is obviously different (way firmer). The PDCC light (on the console switch) only comes on when you go into Sport+. Now with the DSC V3 that mode switch does not change the chassis - you have to manually use the PDCC console switch to change the chassis, and the multi-function display shows either Normal chassis or Sport chassis when you make any change to your selection. But there doesn't seem to be any way to get into the Sport+ chassis - thus my question (for anyone who knows the answer:

On a 991.2 TTS with the latest DSC V3 and firmware - how do you access Sport+ mode?

ETA - I think I answered my own question (there's a TON of DSC information on here - you just need to look for it). As of a couple of years ago, the 3 mode versions of DSC were phased out and the latest ones have only two modes - Normal and Sport. There were several reasons for this but the changes in the G Table made 3 modes unnecessary, and two modes are all that the car understands.

Last edited by JR956678; 09-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
JR956678 is offline  
Old 09-01-2018, 11:33 AM
  #32  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

I have been following threads on the DSC for a while and Iím very interested. Iím am also looking at the Techart springs which I assume doing first is the best route. I donít have FAL but do have. Sunroof. Still not sure I understand what the issue is with these.
Once the DSC is in are there any issues with the dealer messing it up during a service. Iím still under warranty so I still use the dealer for some work.
Penn4S is offline  
Old 09-01-2018, 02:07 PM
  #33  
Nitemare9
User
 
Nitemare9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sebastian, FL.
Posts: 21
Default

OK Guy, dummy here. What's a DSC V3????? I have a 2017 TTS cab and inquiring minds want to know???
What will one do for me?????
Nitemare9 is offline  
Old 09-01-2018, 03:52 PM
  #34  
Nitemare9
User
 
Nitemare9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sebastian, FL.
Posts: 21
Default

OK, googled it now I know. Dummy
Nitemare9 is offline  
Old 09-01-2018, 08:23 PM
  #35  
JR956678
User
 
JR956678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
I donít have FAL but do have. Sunroof. Still not sure I understand what the issue is with these.
The DSC V3 communicates with a wide variety of chassis sensors via the CAN bus. Prior to the 991.2, the FAL and Sunroof sensors did not use the CAN bus so there was no chance of data conflicts, but beginning with the 991.2, FAL and SR started to use the CAN bus. Because the vehicles used for initial DSC development for the 991.2 platform did not have either FAL or a Sunroof, there was no way to know how data for those options was configured and it turned out that there were conflicts between the data used and sent by the DSC module and FAL / Sunroof data. This got finally sorted out just recently and now when you order a DSC V3 you specify if you're installing it on a vehicle with FAL and / or Sunroof and they now know what firmware you need loaded in the DSC module and ship the right DSC firmware version.

JR956678 is offline  
Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 AM
  #36  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

My TTS is a 991.1. Does this mean no issue?
Penn4S is offline  
Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 AM
  #37  
SilveRT8
User
 
SilveRT8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 83
Default

I have a 2017 TTS Cabrio with FAL, when I contacted DSC 2 months ago they did not have the DSC V3 for it, maybe they have it now for the Cabrio too ?
SilveRT8 is offline  
Old 09-02-2018, 04:00 AM
  #38  
na94
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 53
Default

A DSC box is something I am looking at for my GT3, however there is something that I need to have explained.

When speccing a traditional bleed-port and shim stack damper, I will specify a damping curve tha5 covers the operational range of the damper, including a digressive knee where the shim stack takes over.

How do I achieve similar control of damping forces at given shaft speeds using a dsc box? Is there a way to control one of the dampers on a dyno so I can map duty cycle (or whatever input is varied) to damping force, across the speed range?

When I hear people talk about a magic box that just makes the car 'handle', I get a little suspicious of snake oil. For this to be a useful tool, I need to be able to specify forces for given shaft velocities in order to achieve a desired critical damping.
na94 is offline  
Old 09-02-2018, 07:03 AM
  #39  
JR956678
User
 
JR956678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
My TTS is a 991.1. Does this mean no issue?
It's my understanding that the 991.1 did not use the CAN bus for FAL or Sunroof so there never was an issue with conflicting data. The issue only arose with the advent of the 991.2. (An issue which is now fixed for the 991.2 with the newest firmware).

Originally Posted by SilveRT8 View Post
I have a 2017 TTS Cabrio with FAL, when I contacted DSC 2 months ago they did not have the DSC V3 for it, maybe they have it now for the Cabrio too ?
I'm not certain but I don't think the cabrio is any different than the coupe in terms of the PASM controller. I think if you contacted DSC Sport and asked the question again you would get a different answer now.

Last edited by JR956678; 09-02-2018 at 08:52 AM.
JR956678 is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 PM
  #40  
fanboy01
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Post

Originally Posted by JR956678 View Post
I'm not certain but I don't think the cabrio is any different than the coupe in terms of the PASM controller. I think if you contacted DSC Sport and asked the question again you would get a different answer now.

i have a cab as well and emailed to DSC Sport last week when i saw your post but did not get any reply till now
fanboy01 is offline  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 AM
  #41  
hcvone
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Town of Webb, NY/Huntingdon Valley, PA
Posts: 230
Default

Originally Posted by JR956678 View Post
This was the thread that initially peaked my interest in the DSC V3, though I waited until this week to pull the trigger because my 991.2 TTS has both a sunroof and Front Axle Lift and I was aware of the CAN bus conflict between the DSC V3 and the 991.2 platform and I waited until DSC had this sorted out, which just recently happened. Installation was a breeze and once I understood how the connections unplug even that was not at all difficult. My reactions pretty much follow Randy's - normal mode is unexpectedly comfortable - almost making me wonder at times "Is this really a Turbo S?". Sport mode is an absolute delight and I have little doubt will be my default for most of the time. My question though is about the above mentioned Sport+ mode.

From the factory modes are changed via the steering wheel mode switch (which cycle from Normal to Sport to Sport+ and Individual). From the factory, Normal mode and Sport mode chassis are the same but Sport+ mode is obviously different (way firmer). The PDCC light (on the console switch) only comes on when you go into Sport+. Now with the DSC V3 that mode switch does not change the chassis - you have to manually use the PDCC console switch to change the chassis, and the multi-function display shows either Normal chassis or Sport chassis when you make any change to your selection. But there doesn't seem to be any way to get into the Sport+ chassis - thus my question (for anyone who knows the answer:

On a 991.2 TTS with the latest DSC V3 and firmware - how do you access Sport+ mode?

ETA - I think I answered my own question (there's a TON of DSC information on here - you just need to look for it). As of a couple of years ago, the 3 mode versions of DSC were phased out and the latest ones have only two modes - Normal and Sport. There were several reasons for this but the changes in the G Table made 3 modes unnecessary, and two modes are all that the car understands.
Thanks for the update, my car has the sunroof and axle lift and they didn't offer a unit at that time, glad you are pleased and plan to add it
hcvone is offline  
Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM
  #42  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

Just a quick question regarding warranty issues. My TTS is still under warranty so I use the dealer for warranty work. Any issues with them regarding this mod?
Penn4S is offline  
Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 PM
  #43  
Randyc151
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Randyc151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 889
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
Just a quick question regarding warranty issues. My TTS is still under warranty so I use the dealer for warranty work. Any issues with them regarding this mod?
My dealer is aware it's installed. If needed, it takes just a few minutes to swap back to the OEM before you get any warranty work.
Randyc151 is offline  
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 AM
  #44  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

Randy thanks for the note. My dealer is fairly open to mods. They know I have the Cobb tune (I uninstall and reinstall after any service) and they are cool about. They are installing Cobb for customers on new Pcars.
The DSC sounds like a great mod and one that will be noticeable in all types of driving. Thanks again.
Penn4S is offline  
Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 PM
  #45  
rbrotmd
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rbrotmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southern Rhode Island
Posts: 18
Default

Does anyone know where the PASM controller is located in the 991.2 Cabriolet, and how easy it is to replace it with the DSC V3 ?
rbrotmd is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: