Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation! - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good review Randy, comfort + handling improvement together seems to be the winning combo.

It's almost a definite "no" answer, but no harm to ask since Tom is here, can the V3 be retrofitted somehow to a racing shock? Specifically KW 3 way Competition. Would be nice to have a stock ride on the street.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:47 AM
Tom-TPC Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S View Post
My DSC is a V2 and I got it not that long ago after a wait when they were back ordered. Good thing there is little difference with a v3 and stock shocks!
The limitation of the stock shocks is the reaction time to the electronic commands. Even with such mechanical limitation, DSC V2/V3 can still maximize the potential of the stock shocks in comfort and performance.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Tom-TPC Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean View Post
It's almost a definite "no" answer, but no harm to ask since Tom is here, can the V3 be retrofitted somehow to a racing shock?
The answer is Yes! We have raced with DSC controlled Tractive shocks in GT3 Cup cars. Tractive has done in it Europe. PCS Motorsports did at Pikes Peak-
http://www.dscsport.com/2017/06/24/p...ve-suspension/
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...ikes-peak.html
http://www.thedrive.com/flat-six-soc...inside-the-car

Specifically KW 3 way Competition. Would be nice to have a stock ride on the street.
I don't know enough about this brand. If its electronically controlled, DSC will find a way to control it.

Would be nice to have a stock ride on the street.
That is exactly the objective of DSC! Using modern electronic hardware and software to produce the most vehicle compliance, grip, and stability by actively changing individual damper commands to driving conditions/load.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Randyc151
Addict
Rennlist Member

So why doesn't Porsche buy this and use it?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM
Tom-TPC Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151 View Post
So why doesn't Porsche buy this and use it?
Same question could be asked to Ford, GM, Nissan,and SRT. No one knows except for the decision makers which may or may not be extreme high performance enthusiasts who want what we want. Or they may have something similar or better down the line that they are not ready to release in hope of people buying a new and improved model every couple years. These are only my wild guesses.

We don't sell cars. We develop aftermarket parts to fill the needs of enthusiasts. We have this tech and we have it available now.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:58 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good read on the DSC.

Thanks,

Manuel
Old 03-29-2018, 11:45 PM
Need4S
User

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing View Post
The limitation of the stock shocks is the reaction time to the electronic commands. Even with such mechanical limitation, DSC V2/V3 can still maximize the potential of the stock shocks in comfort and performance.
Yes, I agree. I meant that thereĺs little to be gained between V2 and V3 if you have stock shocks like I do. The V2 in my car was transformatively awesome!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Randyc151
Addict
Rennlist Member

TRACK USE UPDATE: Alright, I gushed in the original post about the use on street for the DSCsport V3 box. I finally made it back to VIR for some track testing. The word I will stick with is "TRANSFORMATIONAL".

I honestly cannot tell you how, but the car is just flat faster. The first warmup laps, I thought I would be disappointed. Nothing really felt great or even better than Sport+ initially on my first laps. I was so happy with the street ride, so I convinced myself as long as it felt as good on the track as OEM, I would be happy. During the whole first session of the day at 80%, I only noticed that the car took the curbing (I am full safari over the curbing in the climbing esses), but otherwise it didn't seem much difference. Then the weather warmed up a bit, I hit the track full force. Still only noticed two things: the curbing seemed smoother/more settled and my laps were consistently 1.5 seconds faster than ever before. I've got about 60 days at VIR, so there is not a lot of learning the track - the car is simply faster. It allows me to get more out of the tires, it's a bit flatter, is more controlled under braking (I'm braking later), and inspires more confidence in this 3600 pound car. I now deem it an essential upgrade, and cheaper than even 1 set of tires.

Here's my car setup: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...track-car.html

Previous best: 2:02.77. I've been in the high 2:02 range a handful of times over the past few years. Normal clean laps are 2:04 range, and a 2:03 is a very good lap.
This event: 2:02.04 (including a pass in turn 3!!), but I was fairly consistently in the 2:02's when there is little traffic, but it was an Audi open track event and there was always some traffic. I will post the video soon. Translation: normally mid-2:04's to consistent mid/high-2:02's is about 1.5 seconds a lap, and it's repeatable. Without the traffic on that 2:02.04 lap, I'd certainly have been in the mid 2:01 range. Impressive.

Here's my car at VIR this week with the new Turbo S GT2RSx build from TPC Racing that will be competing in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge this year. (Yep, that is a 991.1 Turbo S under a bunch of carbon fiber body work)

And here's my Aim Solo DL screen after the session. I had many other 2.02 range laps, too, in other sessions.

Here's Mike Levitas from TPC Racing and I during a track walk after Monday's session (Thanks VIR!!) We are looking at 4b and the setup to 5a...my trickiest turn on the track. Mike and I talked some about my car, but I had already installed the V3 myself prior to the event, and he didn't need to touch my car. He's a fascinating guy, too. He's an active racer and former Daytona 24 class winner.

Conclusion, get a V box! Nothing more to discuss.

Last edited by Randyc151; 04-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM
wirx
User

Nice, thanx for this thread I ordered DSC V3 also, waiting to install it this week.
Do you have corner speed low/hi also or mybe some videos before and later?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM
smbryan
User

So how much does it cost and what is the install cost/time to have someone install it?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Tom-TPC Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smbryan View Post
So how much does it cost and what is the install cost/time to have someone install it?
The DSC V3 cost $1290.

Installation takes less than 5 mintues if you have stock seats. Installation video-
Old 04-11-2018, 03:47 PM
smbryan
User

Will it work with glass/pano roof and/or non-PDCC equipped?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Randyc151
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smbryan View Post
I installed it myself, without any problems. It took a minute to get the plugs to come out, but it's plug and play, no tools required.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:50 PM
nolimits
User

Nice write up Randy, you describe the change perfectly, love mine ! Thanks for the effort.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Need4S
User

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing View Post
The DSC V3 cost $1290.

Installation takes less than 5 minutes if you have stock seats. Installation video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVHE-T26oTI
It took me more like 15 minutes because it was very difficult to remove the stock clip as it was on very tight. Either that, or I have weak fingers. Or both. But that's the hardest part of the procedure. Once the clip is off the OEM unit, the rest is a breeze. Easiest mod for the performance gain I've ever done. Well, except maybe for swapping ECU chips in a previous car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed DSC Sport V3 box - transformation!

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: