Sponsored by: Road Spy

Braille lightweight battery install

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot

interesting. So if I accidentally left the lights on in the garage, and came back later, is this saying a 40AH Lithium May last as long or longer than an 80AH AGM battery?
That is the claim. I’ve never tested it. I always buy on the “high side”. Most Companies will recommend a 30AH Lithium for a daily. That’s too light “for me” for a daily. If I were towing to a track 15-25 might be ok if you keep an eye on the data recorder, etc. For a daily , I like 50AH to have plenty of gas in the tank. I’ll live with an 18lb Lithium vs a stock 52lb stock battery.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:56 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Just bumping this, as there's been plenty of talk around this project lately. I'd look at AG if I were doing this again, simply for price and features. I did have an incident where I forgot to unplug my AIM Solo DL for the night, and the battery did completely discharge...the car was dead. I went into town and bought an H6 battery and finished the weekend. Back at home, I got Braille on the phone, and they had me do the following to restart the battery. 1) put jumper cables between the Braille and the new H6 battery for exactly 30 seconds. 2) let the Braille sit for 2 hours. 3) Try to charge with the Braille charger, and stick around for the whole time it took to charge, which was about 8 hours. (I have my cars in a garage attached to my office) 4) Presto, the battery charged back up to 13.3v and has been great ever since. Braille did warn me that this little routine usually, but not always works. If it had not worked, I'd be out of luck...not covered by warranty.

I talked to AG during this time with some thoughts about replacing this Braille, and they were awesome to talk to, but my battery has been fine for over a year with no issues.
12hrs to discharge ? Do you think the Solo pulls more than 1AH ?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
12hrs to discharge ? Do you think the Solo pulls more than 1AH ?
I think it pulled 9 total, because the battery was at 4 after about 16 hours between parking for the day and starting up for the next morning. For texture, we had a rain storm come through and I skipped the last run of the day...which is why I forgot to unplug the AIM Solo and Smartycam.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:08 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS

That is the claim. I’ve never tested it. I always buy on the “high side”. Most Companies will recommend a 30AH Lithium for a daily. That’s too light “for me” for a daily. If I were towing to a track 15-25 might be ok if you keep an eye on the data recorder, etc. For a daily , I like 50AH to have plenty of gas in the tank. I’ll live with an 18lb Lithium vs a stock 52lb stock battery.
I agree. I'm planning to replace my OEM battery with a Li-ion, and the weight savings, esp. given the high battery location in the car, is substantial enough for me, even with an 18 lb. 40AH battery. I think 80AH may be spec'd for my car, but that's probably so as to take into account use of the start-stop feature, which I don't really use. I also don't just sit in the car with the stereo or other accessories powered up, so I think even though the Li-ion is half the AH rating, it should still be fine for a DD.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Start/Stop works just dandy with the 25aH Braille. When it sees a power drop, the engine will turn on anyway. (Probably another reason to have it programmed at the dealer)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:25 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Need4S
I agree. I'm planning to replace my OEM battery with a Li-ion, and the weight savings, esp. given the high battery location in the car, is substantial enough for me, even with an 18 lb. 40AH battery. I think 80AH may be spec'd for my car, but that's probably so as to take into account use of the start-stop feature, which I don't really use. I also don't just sit in the car with the stereo or other accessories powered up, so I think even though the Li-ion is half the AH rating, it should still be fine for a DD.
This is the one I'm going to use. I have 3 in various projects and never had a failure in 7 years.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

To circle back around from onfireTTS's newest post, I move my Braille battery to the GT2RS without issue in December. I took it to the dealer for programming in February with no luck; they just could not get it to change parameters without the car showing fault codes, so we just changed it back to default and it's been perfect ever since...about 5 months. TPC Racing has just started working with Braille batteries in some of their builds after I showed it to Mike Levitas, and they also have another project car that has the AntiGravity version. I also added to my car the AntiGravity battery Tracker to give me bluetooth updates in the battery status - highly recommended, and works fine with the Braille battery.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

To circle back around from onfireTTS's newest post, I move my Braille battery to the GT2RS without issue in December. I took it to the dealer for programming in February with no luck; they just could not get it to change parameters without the car showing fault codes, so we just changed it back to default and it's been perfect ever since...about 5 months. TPC Racing has just started working with Braille batteries in some of their builds after I showed it to Mike Levitas, and they also have another project car that has the AntiGravity version. I also added to my car the AntiGravity battery Tracker to give me bluetooth updates in the battery status - highly recommended, and works fine with the Braille battery.
Hi Guys. Same boat here, we've never had to update programming and the regular profile has worked out just fine. Randy do you know which model by chance they are using in that project car....guessing it might be one of the new "H series"? Nice to hear feedback on the tracker as well.

For those who don't know or might be curious we have a similar options to the Braille but a little different in the aspect of having a BMS (battery management system built in) that has additional protection so please feel free to check out the thread below for more info.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...est-model.html

But in regards to monitoring, the Battery Tracker is a great tool to have for any battery or chemical composition.
The following users liked this post:
4flynlow (07-15-2020)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the lithium batteries mentioned here and the LifePO4 batteries that come standard in some BMWs?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi Guys. Same boat here, we've never had to update programming and the regular profile has worked out just fine. Randy do you know which model by chance they are using in that project car....guessing it might be one of the new "H series"? Nice to hear feedback on the tracker as well.

For those who don't know or might be curious we have a similar options to the Braille but a little different in the aspect of having a BMS (battery management system built in) that has additional protection so please feel free to check out the thread below for more info.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...est-model.html

But in regards to monitoring, the Battery Tracker is a great tool to have for any battery or chemical composition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMBfqS-Hk
Any stock on the H6 yet or eta if not ?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nanook
Any stock on the H6 yet or eta if not ?
I've got a handful right now we're using to fulfill current back orders for the original release and there's a chance I may have one or two left when that's done. email me your details if you would and we'll see what we can come up with. Otherwise the main shipment should be close to the end of the month. Pending what's happening currently with importing that could affect when we actually get them.
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I've got a handful right now we're using to fulfill current back orders for the original release and there's a chance I may have one or two left when that's done. email me your details if you would and we'll see what we can come up with. Otherwise the main shipment should be close to the end of the month. Pending what's happening currently with importing that could affect when we actually get them.
chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Are the tariffs affecting you?
Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Are the tariffs affecting you?
From what I understand not directly from a cost standpoint so far but it in regards to product moving through customs and actually getting delivered things seem to be getting delayed.

Quick Reply: Braille lightweight battery install