Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Braille lightweight battery install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Final update, unless I have some trouble in the future: Battery has been installed for over a month, with the car sitting some, driven some, tracked some. I have measured the voltage quite a few times, and it's never dropped voltage enough to even need charging. It's worked in 30 degree weather, and hot track sessions. Start/stop has been flawless. In every situation, I've been very happy. I think the car is braking better, too.

Verdict: The Braille i48CX has been a successful addition to the car, and works every day just like a heavy lead battery, but 42 pounds lighter. I recommend lithium batteries highly.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

If you still have doubts about lithium batteries, my M4 GTS comes standard with this technology. This car (unfortunately) sat for 5 weeks without being started. It got stuck in the back of the garage!! Anyway, I approached the car cautiously, expecting the battery would not be alive. I put the voltage meter on and it was still sitting at 13.31v, and fired up immediately. For any car that is not in super cold climates, this is the only way to go.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Yes those are the best chargers.... you will notice that the Optimate is a little more expensive... but it does have some cooler features for what it's worth. It goes through a complete test procedure before it starts charging and will warn you if there is any anomaly. So they both work fine but the Optimate is a bit more into the test and recovery for lithium which is valuable from my perspective for the couple dollars more. It physically a little larger, but also claims rain proof... and they are built sturdy for sure.

As for the Braille charger saying never leave unattended..... All chargers will have that in their Users Manual its part of the safety instructions for any charger or re-chargeable products. My Electric Bike with a Bosch Charger and Battery (top quality stuff) also says that, and even more scary stuff like loss of life could result if used wrong... but it a legality. Theoretically you are never supposed to leave ANY thing charging unattended. I actually make all the guys unplug any batteries that are charging when we close. On the other hand I have left many charging overnight at my house and still do... But yes it counterintuitive for a Maintainer to say never leave unattended when it is meant to stay on the vehicle. It just due to that fact that anything could happen and you want to be legally safe with the disclaimer.
As time marches on, and my OEM battery is getting older, I'm getting closer to a decision point on whether to go Lithium. A question I have, and maybe I missed the answer, is whether I can still use my CTEK 7002 with the Antigravity RS-30 or will I need to buy an Optimate. While the benefits of the Lithium battery are many, the initial cost (along with that cool bracket) is still an issue. So will I need to figure-in another $100 on top of that for a new charger, too?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
As time marches on, and my OEM battery is getting older, I'm getting closer to a decision point on whether to go Lithium. A question I have, and maybe I missed the answer, is whether I can still use my CTEK 7002 with the Antigravity RS-30 or will I need to buy an Optimate. While the benefits of the Lithium battery are many, the initial cost (along with that cool bracket) is still an issue. So will I need to figure-in another $100 on top of that for a new charger, too?
No, you can't use the CTEK 7002 with any lithium battery. Push off your swap until you can afford the extra $100?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:17 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
No, you can't use the CTEK 7002 with any lithium battery. Push off your swap until you can afford the extra $100?
Thanks. The $100 is not that big a deal; I just wanted to know if it was necessary. I guess I can use the 7002 with another car, give it away or sell it.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Thanks. The $100 is not that big a deal; I just wanted to know if it was necessary. I guess I can use the 7002 with another car, give it away or sell it.
Hi everyone. Make sure you always reach out to us directly as well when ordering as we have a Rennlist discount we can extend to you that will help out on the pricing. You can direct message us here or email chad@antigravitybatteries.com
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Just bumping this, as there's been plenty of talk around this project lately. I'd look at AG if I were doing this again, simply for price and features. I did have an incident where I forgot to unplug my AIM Solo DL for the night, and the battery did completely discharge...the car was dead. I went into town and bought an H6 battery and finished the weekend. Back at home, I got Braille on the phone, and they had me do the following to restart the battery. 1) put jumper cables between the Braille and the new H6 battery for exactly 30 seconds. 2) let the Braille sit for 2 hours. 3) Try to charge with the Braille charger, and stick around for the whole time it took to charge, which was about 8 hours. (I have my cars in a garage attached to my office) 4) Presto, the battery charged back up to 13.3v and has been great ever since. Braille did warn me that this little routine usually, but not always works. If it had not worked, I'd be out of luck...not covered by warranty.

I talked to AG during this time with some thoughts about replacing this Braille, and they were awesome to talk to, but my battery has been fine for over a year with no issues.

Last edited by Randyc151; 02-11-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Just bumping this, as there's been plenty of talk around this project lately. I'd look at AG if I were doing this again, simply for price and features. I did have an incident where I forgot to unplug my AIM Solo DL for the night, and the battery did completely discharge...the car was dead. I went into town and bought an H6 battery and finished the weekend. Back at home, I got Braille on the phone, and they had me do the following to restart the battery. 1. put jumper cables between the Braille and the new H6 battery for exactly 30 seconds. 2) let the Braille sit for 2 hours. 3) Try to charge with the Braille charger, and stick around for the whole time it took to charge, which was about 8 hours. (I have my cars in a garage attached to my office) 4) Presto, the battery charged back up to 13.3v and has been great ever since.

I talked to AG during this time with some thoughts about replacing this Braille, and they were awesome to talk to, but my battery has been fine for over a year with no issues.
What is the AH rating on your Braille ?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
What is the AH rating on your Braille ?
25Ah, according to the specs for the i48CX I used.

https://www.braillebattery.com/index...duct_group/i48
Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

25Ah, according to the specs for the i48CX I used.

https://www.braillebattery.com/index...duct_group/i48
Thanks. I have three Braille's here. I'll probably keep the 18lb CS in it since it has 50AH for safety.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Thanks. I have three Braille's here. I'll probably keep the 18lb CS in it since it has 50AH for safety.
Forgive me for my ignorant question but I'm not very technical. What is the benefit of a higher AH battery?

I noticed the Porsche OEM AGM battery has 80AH. So if I bought a 40AH lithium battery would it hold charge for less time?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:20 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Forgive me for my ignorant question but I'm not very technical. What is the benefit of a higher AH battery?

I noticed the Porsche OEM AGM battery has 80AH. So if I bought a 40AH lithium battery would it hold charge for less time?
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...ttery-ratings/

Pedantically, the rating is not about how long the battery will hold a charge, but how long it can provide power. Or, simply put: how much power 'it holds.'

One Amp-Hour means supplying 1 Amp to a load for 1 Hour. Thus a 40 amp-hour battery can supply 40 amps for one hour, 20 amps for 2 hours, ..., 1 amp for 40 hours etc.

It takes a lot of current to start the car. It takes a while, when you are driving, for the alternator to 'top-up' the battery after starting the engine. If you do a lot of short trips - say less than ~30 mins - you won't top-up the battery, you'll progressively 'use-up' those amp-hours. So, the higher amp-rating gives you more 'margin' for short trips. Also, If you actually use the start/stop system you'll want a 'big' battery.

That's the surface explanation. There are devils in the details.
The following users liked this post:
4flynlow (07-15-2020)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by stealthpilot

https://www.braillebattery.com/forum...topic.php?t=86
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Remember, the auto start/stop system only works when the battery is charged above a certain threshold. In fact, if your car does shut off at a stop light, it tells you the battery is above the threshold and is pretty well charged.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

interesting. So if I accidentally left the lights on in the garage, and came back later, is this saying a 40AH Lithium May last as long or longer than an 80AH AGM battery?

Quick Reply: Braille lightweight battery install