Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo spec, any suggestions before build locks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM
fredrik
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 Turbo spec, any suggestions before build locks?

I've got a March build slot which I'm told will lock next week. Looking forward to it being locked so that I stop thinking about what changes I should do

Here's my current spec https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJBDMKU6
  • Agate Grey Metallic
  • Black leather interior
  • 'PORSCHE' and model designation painted
  • Porsche Entry & Drive
    • haven't tried but hoping it will work same as on my M5 where I find it very convenient
  • Rear Wiper
    • London weather...
  • Electrically folding exterior mirrors
  • Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
    • the other side of London weather; once it's sunny I want as much light as possible in the cabin (did consider a convertible but much prefer the look of the coupe)
  • Adaptive cruise control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
    • Have tried to google if it will panic break to avoid running into car in front if needed (avoiding situations with insurance scams where the car in front panic breaks and claims to have a whiplash)
  • Lane Change Assist
    • figure why not, extra insurance
  • Speed limit display
  • Light design package
    • salesman insisted on this being a must have
  • Heated multifunction steering wheel
  • Sports seats Plus (4-way, electric)
    • I'm 6'5" and these sit an inch lower, best seating position I've ever had in a sports car
  • Smoking package
  • Passenger footwell storage net
    • free options are so hard to resist
  • Burmester
    • haven't tried it vs BOSE but love a good stereo
Am considering the carbon pack. Would prefer it but not sure if I feel it's worth the price.
I did also consider the front axle lift, but after measuring it's got the same ground clearance in the front as my M5. Had a 997s a few years ago which really hated speed humps so I'm glad to see the active aero on the TT.

Before you guys suggest to go with TTS I've chosen the standard turbo because of:
1. ceramics: I would like the yellow callipers and would be nice with no break dust, but that's not worth £6k to me...
2. PDCC: haven't tried it but the Turbo I test drove didn't feel unstable in the corners at all
3. 40 extra bhp: doubt I will need it but if I do a tune would get there
4. centre lock wheels: prefer the turbo look and don't want the hassle
5. TTS is £19k more than the TT

Quick history of previous cars:
Sold my GTR to get the M5 (which then made me miss having a sports car). The GTR was fast but a bit too high seating position, not super exciting and for daily driving a bit jerky. The TT is faster, better handling in the corners and much nicer as a grand tourer -can't wait to drive around Europe this summer. Before the GTR I had a 430 spider which I loved. Such a fun car to drive on a sunny day, great sound and very happy in the corners. But I'm not a fan of the attention, was always getting photographed/video'd +parking it on the streets never felt good. And the servicing was very expensive, various parts always breaking.

Any thoughts on my spec? What would you guys do differently?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

I have the optional power folding mirrors on my TTS, and it’s an option that I could do without. The mirrors don’t fold in as much as you might think, and the Sport Design mirrors look better. That’s one thing that I would change on my car. I might reconsider this if I frequently parked in tight parking lots.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like a good spec for the UK. I would suggest you reconsider PDCC. It's the only option I wish came with my car (a 991 turbo, but not an "S"). The car is not unstable without it, but its active design allows for a more comfortable ride, which if I recall, is important for many UK roads. Also, it reduces body roll in the corners, which allows for more confidence when driving back roads with blind turns. I definitely would get the folding mirrors since it sounds like you may be in London or will be driving it there. Parking is, as you know better than I, tight in the UK and in much of the EU, so folding mirrors are a must, even if it's only an inch or two that you gain in clearance. The lighting design package is far from a "must have" in the US, but your market may differ. I'd easily put the money saved from the lighting package and put it towards PDCC. (I will say that since getting my car, I got a DSC V2 controller for it, which does much of what PDCC does in terms of giving more ride comfort whilst increasing handling ability.)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I would suggest you reconsider PDCC. It's the only option I wish came with my car (a 991 turbo, but not an "S"). The car is not unstable without it, but its active design allows for a more comfortable ride, which if I recall, is important for many UK roads.
This —^ X 991

PDCC is not - as is often repeated here - a ‘performance’ option. It is a “dynamic range” option. It is like having a soft(-ish) suspension and a hard suspension at the same time without the drawbacks of either.

It makes a noticeable - but not huge - difference anywhere the streets see freezing temperatures and salt (and thus have pot holes, frost heaves, big cracks, etc.)

My experience is not theoretical either: We have a 991S w/o PDCC and a Turbo w/PDCC.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I'd skip the folding mirrors and add the PDCC. Otherwise, great build!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Dunno how the Light Design package can be considered "Must Have."

I have it on my C4S - spec'd by first owner - and it seems totally superfluous, especially when I sat in a different 911 that didn't have it.

I'd take the money from removing the Light Design Package and get PDLS+ instead.

Since your leather is black, I think the carbon fiber trim would sort of get lost in it. I think the carbon trim looks better when it contrasts against a lighter interior color.

Finally, the Burmester I heard was pretty good, but when you're in the car and driving at speed, there's enough road/tire/exhaust noise that I don't think it's worth it over the Bose. Take the money saved and get PDCC and/or PCCB instead.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:28 AM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't found that the 4 way seats sit lower than the adaptives (18 way)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
I haven't found that the 4 way seats sit lower than the adaptives (18 way)
The reverse: the seat bottom front of the 18-way seats will go lower than that of the 4-ways.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
Since your leather is black, I think the carbon fiber trim would sort of get lost in it. I think the carbon trim looks better when it contrasts against a lighter interior color.
Yup!

OP, if there was one thing I would change about my Agate Gray TT build it would be to have spec'd Natural Leather. That said, Agate Gray with black leather is a bit ... dark. I suggest that you try out the confiscator with the Espresso/Cognac natural leather and see what you think. It will add some nice contrast.

Finally, the Burmester I heard was pretty good, but when you're in the car and driving at speed, there's enough road/tire/exhaust noise that I don't think it's worth it over the Bose.
That's true too. It all depends upon what your average speed is. I spend ~50% of my time at less than 40 mph and the Burmester is worth it. But, once on the highway at ... higher speeds ... it doesn't matter.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:17 AM
fredrik
AutoX

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted by worf928
The reverse: the seat bottom front of the 18-way seats will go lower than that of the 4-ways.
I test drove a GTS with 18 way and a Turbo with 4 way right after each other. The 4 way was definitely around an inch lower. Not sure what you mean about the front of the seat sitting lower, it's the back that I need to be low for headroom.

Originally Posted by r00t61
Dunno how the Light Design package can be considered "Must Have."
I have it on my C4S - spec'd by first owner - and it seems totally superfluous, especially when I sat in a different 911 that didn't have it.

I'd take the money from removing the Light Design Package and get PDLS+ instead.
That's great feedback, thanks. I'll look to do just that.

Originally Posted by worf928
OP, if there was one thing I would change about my Agate Gray TT build it would be to have spec'd Natural Leather. That said, Agate Gray with black leather is a bit ... dark. I suggest that you try out the confiscator with the Espresso/Cognac natural leather and see what you think. It will add some nice contrast.
I prefer the black leather, but maybe leaving the standard aluminium instead of carbon is the way to go, save some money and leave a bit of contrast...
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fredrik
Not sure what you mean about the front of the seat sitting lower, it's the back that I need to be low for headroom.
The seat cushion/bottom of the 4-way (Power) Sport Seats Plus (SSP) is only adjustable in height at the rear of the seat bottom. The height of the front of the cushion is not adjustable and is effectively a rotation axis for the entire seat bottom. Thus, the seat bottom adjustment is, effectively an adjustment of the angle of the seat bottom. Or, put another way, in the 4-way SSP your knees are always at the same height above the floor board but, your butt height can change.

I write "4-way (Power)" because those seats have 4 power adjustments but are actually 6-way seats where the 'extra' 2-way adjustment is the manual fore/aft.

The 18-way (Power) Adaptive SSP features a seat bottom that is height-adjustable at both the front and rear. Thus, you can change the floor-to-anatomy relationship of both your knees and butt.

The minimum "butt height" of the 4-way SSP seems to be the same as the 18-way SSP.

Originally Posted by fredrik
it's the back that I need to be low for headroom.
Ditch the sunroof and you will gain ~5cm of head room.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:36 PM
fredrik
AutoX

Thanks Dave. Maybe I missed the adjustability of the rear of the 18 seats. I'm back at the dealer on Saturday to finalise the spec, will have another go then! Will definitely take the 18 if they're as low
Old 02-15-2018, 03:47 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

I think there are some bits on the turbo s you are not appreciating OP. It has bigger turbos for one so if you tune like for like a turbo s will always be quicker but more pace isn't really what a 991 turbo needs! Its turbos can do quite bit of trick stuff like hang on to boost whilst you're braking. Don't think vanilla turbo has all this trickery. Also resale on the turbo s (if it matters) here in the UK is ridiculously strong. Friend has just returned his 6500 mile turbo s to Porsche to sell on his behalf. Its up for list at £165,000 in fashion grey on Porsche UK site. Also seats wise try the sports buckets and deleting sunroof will give you that extra headroom too. I find you sit lowest in them in the 991. Pain to get in and out of but once you're in they're very comfortable. All moot as I doubt they'd let you upgrade to a new S and it doesn't seem like you need or want the extra tech spec on the S in any event. in your shoes I'd be tempted by a slightly used car facelift turbo s as the spec you are going for is quite ordinary in terms of turbos. Also if you liked having a rag top Fezza maybe go for a turbo cab for those Eurohoons
Old 02-15-2018, 06:26 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMI A
[The TurboS'] turbos can do quite bit of trick stuff like hang on to boost whilst you're braking. Don't think vanilla turbo has all this trickery.
This was 'investigated' when the 991.2s were announced and, as I recall, the conclusion was that both the non-S and S Turbo hold the throttle plate open on overrun to keep the turbos spooled.

There's a thread on it around here somewhere.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 PM
fredrik
AutoX

I wasn't planning on buying a new car, in fact never have bought a new car before. But the second hand prices are so strong, both on turbo and turbo s, that I think it's no more than £10k extra drop in the first year compared to buying a used 991.2. Think it's one of these itches that needed scratching as well: spec'ing it, waiting for it to be built, getting delivery as the first owner...

Regarding the Turbo vs S, I've not driven the S so can't compare. But the turbo I took for a test drive was amazing, so fast and felt lovely in the corners. I'd be very surprised if I feel the need to tune it for more power -as mentioned it felt significantly faster than my old GTR (which was stage 1 Litchfield, a 2014 model).

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo spec, any suggestions before build locks?