Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo S Stage 3 tuning experience with bydesign 626HP 646TQ at the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 AM
djgogls
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 Turbo S Stage 3 tuning experience with bydesign 626HP 646TQ at the wheels

Wanted to share my experience with the community. I have a 2017 911 Turbo S. I was running with the By Design exhaust and headers which I really enjoyed. Less turbo lag , better sound, and great for daily use!

I then wanted to do some more so I got the following:

IPD Plenum
BMC Airfilters
and a competitor tune.

I was mostly happy with the tune, car felt definitely faster my only gripe was the power delivery seemed to be more on/off or spikey and not as smooth or progressive as stock.

After this I bought the Bydesign intercoolers. Got them installed and asked if a special tune was available for the IC's but was told there is no special tune for the IC's and running the same tune was recommended. I ran it on the Dyno before and after and showed that I lost a bit of power:

I was disappointed and went back to stock IC's and my plan was to sell the aftermarket IC's. Talked to Sam and he told me he would be willing to sell them for me but also told me that if I hold on to them a tune would be out soon and felt 100 percent confident it would make more power and less
turbo turbo
lag with a custom tune.

I trust Sam so I waited. Contacted him again when I saw his IG post of some successful tuningon the 991.2. I sent my car to him on a flat bed in Torrance, CA and he installed the ByDesign coolers and checked what my car made on my current tune then switched to his custom tune. The results were spectacular:

Another thing I like doing to test
turbo turbo
lag is having the car in third gear at 3K rpm. Then I pull up the turbo gauge PSI, after hitting pedal to the floor I time how long it takes to hit max boost(19psi) I run it about 5 times and and with the stock intercoolers I get between 1.91-1.98seconds on all my runs

With the Bydesign IC's I am getting between 1.68-1.75 seconds!!! This may seem like not a lot but it is a HUGE difference in felt turbo lag. The response is so much more immediate.

Here is three runs with ByDesign tune and ByDesign IC's:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uyb81rab4c..._3115.mov?dl=0

At the same time the power delivery feels way smoother than my previous tune which is what I love the most. The car feels like the
torque torque
never tapers off and stays so flat. Everything is easy to modulate. I can't recommend enough Stage 3 with Sam and his custom tuning abilities.

*Note all my runs are done with 91 octane. *

He is a breath of fresh air is this community.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:26 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Good work.

Who did the other tune?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Those glowing red Headers on the dyno pull is Awesome!!

EGT's were UP THERE!!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Thanks Steve and guys! It's a pleasure working with you as always and the faith/trust is much appreciated! I am so glad we were able to get you set up...Even happier how much my guys are all loving their 991.2 Stage 3 set-ups!

Hey Swole! Yeah these things get hot. We like running the Kline headers to keep manifold pressures and temps in check. They glow pretty much transparent on Stage 4 pumping hard!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 01-22-2018, 02:26 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Was this with or without cats?
Old 01-22-2018, 05:04 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thus car is running HJS Motorsports 100cel cats.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 AM
wirx
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for digging up this old thread. But this 1.7-1.9s seems too much?
djgogls: "Another thing I like doing to test
turbo turbo
lag is having the car in third gear at 3K rpm. Then I pull up the turbo gauge PSI, after hitting pedal to the floor I time how long it takes to hit max boost(19psi) I run it about 5 times and and with the stock intercoolers I get between 1.91-1.98seconds on all my runs."
I have usual non S turbo and third gear at 3K rpm after hitting gas pedal is like 0.7-0.9sec to 1.3bar(19psi) is Turbo S lag so much bigger?

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by wirx
Sorry for digging up this old thread. But this 1.7-1.9s seems too much?
djgogls: "Another thing I like doing to test turbo lag is having the car in third gear at 3K rpm. Then I pull up the turbo gauge PSI, after hitting pedal to the floor I time how long it takes to hit max boost(19psi) I run it about 5 times and and with the stock intercoolers I get between 1.91-1.98seconds on all my runs."
I have usual non S turbo and third gear at 3K rpm after hitting gas pedal is like 0.7-0.9sec to 1.3bar(19psi) is Turbo S lag so much bigger?
The amount of errors from gauge, vision, manual timing make this inaccurate. Best way to do it would be probably with a Cobb device or similar and measuring boost/RPM vs time.. Also, I think a better measure would be in 4th or 5th gear from 2K RPMs, which is off-boost, the results will be shocking, tried it on my 997GT2RS a few years back.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes if we are testing for spool comparison we do things differently. The OP did some simple testing on the street. This car is running cats and was on ACN91 octane here in CA which is unfortunately just about the worst pump fuel in the country. We even get our own maps designated ACN (AZ, CA, NV) vs regular 91 haha. On standard 91 and especially 93 pump available to most of the country and world we see better results all around. For the ultimate guys run our 76mm decat system and we have seen up to 654hp at the wheels so far on Stage 3. Doing several more now and we are really enjoying the custom tuning being available! Several cars are making over 765hp to the wheels on Stage 4.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo S Stage 3 tuning experience with bydesign 626HP 646TQ at the wheels