Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

HELP! Oil filter housing cap cross thread, leaked all engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:50 AM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Since the dealership won't open till Tuesday, I am taking the bumper off and try to clean as much as i can. I used a leaf blower to blow away some of the oil already.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:22 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by js9527
Since the dealership won't open till Tuesday, I am taking the bumper off and try to clean as much as i can. I used a leaf blower to blow away some of the oil already.
Good plan. This will at least allow you to survey the extent of the mess.
Since you changed your oil, I will assume that you have a way to get the rear safely off the ground?
With the rear wheels and cover off and an ability to safely get under the car you should be able to do a ton of cleaning.

I recommend a citrus based cleaner appropriately diluted with water. This mixture will emulsify the oil and leave little residue after a wipe. I do a lot of serious engine cleaning with P21S Citrus Total Car Wash diluted 50/50 with distilled water.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:14 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

That's all great. Now shut this operation down and get it towed to the dealer. I'd suggest that you have them drop the engine and survey it and clean it completely. Is the risk of burning up the whole car really worth any chances? (Hint: answer is no)

If you are so compelled, then drive it up to street level and shut it back off and don't start it again. I'm afraid you don't understand the risks involved here, but you could easily lose your car if you try to drive it 6 minutes to the dealer. No fire extinguishers can reach the part of the engine where the *near certain* fire will occur.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the link Manuel. Just ordered the cap for myself.

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
Hi,

As others suggested, I would take the car to the dealer and make sure all oil residue is removed, and then get this-

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part.../001982ecs01a/

I had it on a my 997.2 TTS and now on the 991.1 TTS.

Regards,

Manuel
Old 01-01-2018, 12:01 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Update: Its almost -20 celsius here, and the dealership is only 6 minus away from me.
Everything else has already been covered by other responses. Just want to add the outside ambient temperature being cold will do absolutely nothing to diminish your risk of fire if that is the reason you were mentioning it.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey JS,

How did everything turn out? Was the dealership able to help? Did they offer any reasons for this occurring?

Jay
Old 04-05-2018, 04:44 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Hey JS,

How did everything turn out? Was the dealership able to help? Did they offer any reasons for this occurring?

Jay
Somehow i am not subbed to my own thread , sorry for the late reply.
When i found out the issue was the oil filter got cross threaded, I reinstalled the filter and everything was fine. Added some oil and left the garage. (cleaned the mess on the floor)
After the long weekend, i drove my car to the dealership. By the time i reached to the dealership, the oil temp was 30 Celsius. That's the reason that i thought its ok to drive.
I explained the situation to the service adviser, he said they would take care of it.
What they did was, clean the residual oil in the engine bay and another oil change. (they did reset the service interval thing)
I thought the oil change was not necessary, but that's what happens when you take your car to the dealership. What's nice about another oil change is all parts are new, undamaged.
Whatever, my bill was 600 CAD. $400 for oil change and $200 for cleaning.
Drove back home, everything was good. I took a look inside the engine bay, they did a great job cleaning the oil.
The next few days, there is a burning oil smell came out of the exhaust, but dealership told me that's normal.
If 'worf928' didn't mention, i actually forgot about this whole leaking thing.
Again, thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: HELP! Oil filter housing cap cross thread, leaked all engine oil