Turbo S/Need Camera for driving and protection of the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 PM
johnhb1234
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo S/Need Camera for driving and protection of the car

Hi,

I am about to get a 911 Turbo S, I am new to Porsche and am very concerned about people trying to
outdrive me on the road, key my car, etc. because I am going to use this car as my daily driver. While
I've never had a bad traffic stop from a police officer, with this car, I'm wondering if I should get a
camera similar to what I've seen on YouTube, that records conversations in the car.

So I am talking about front/rear surveillance, to show if someone hits my car on the road,
for conversations if I am stopped and for when I'm not in the car. I've been told there are
cameras that can fit over the rear view mirror. I don't know if this is a good solution for a Porsche.
I've also been told that a camera in cars that is always on for surveillance is not typical because
the battery would drain - that would probably be for a camera that looks out to both the right and left
sides of the car.

Please forgive my ignorance, I am technical but know nothing about this topic or what scenarios are typical,
I am guessing. I have heard you might be able to integrate in the front and rear Porsche cameras but suspect
that anything after-market would void my warranty. As a result, while it might be somewhat more expensive,
I'll probably get my dealer to install the solution(s).

I would very much appreciate all ideas and feedback. By the way, I'm now a resident of Fort Myers Beach, FL
and spend about 3 months a year up North.But if you know of a store to purchase the equipment, Jack Daniels
would be happy to do the installation. My car will be here later this week so I have to hurry.

Thanks,

John B.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

There are lots of options out there. I don't know of any that feature continuous operation, but many of them will continue recording for a period of time after the car is parked.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:57 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this one and am very happy with it.

https://www.blackvue.com/product/dr750s-2ch/
Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 AM
C4SxM5
Instructor

also recommend the blackvue and they also have front and rear systems that can record as along as you want depending on the sd card size and your battery back up system. i have a 128gb and a battery pack which saves me about 7 days of recordings (only records when there motion)

cost about 400 or so and it saved me big time once when my previous car got keyed and another than a few months later when it got broken into. both times picture was clear enough to id the person and i get a resolution.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 AM
johnhb1234
Intermediate

C4SxM5 - thank you for your reply on the BlackVue. To clarify, I'm in SW Florida and see a higher risk potential with the car being
keyed or hit when it's parked in a mall, for example. Drivers are also terrible here as the roads are near-highways and I see
people everyday U-Turn poorly into oncoming traffic and/or cut across lanes of traffic after stopping on the opposite side of the highway
median to get into the entrance of a mall. I have to do an avoidance turn pretty much every time I dirve.

But if I focus more on the parking dings and vandalism, the cameras I have seen for both driving and parking are the BlackVue, VICOVATION OPIA2
and the Thinkware F800, which recently came up as an upgrade to the 770. I want the camera to have motion detection to capture the hit or vandalism and it's best if
there is the ability to buffer the first few seconds before the event, but not required. I assume field of view is an issue because even with
two cameras, there doesn't seem to be a 360 degree view.

It seems single channel cameras are better for images and 2-channel cameras are better for parking - is that right? So for parking and driving, with an emphasis on
parking, perhaps a 2-channel solution is better but I'm not completely sure and would appreciate any additional feedback.

Thanks,

John B.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I have the Thinkware F770, however I find the video and the user interface are not great. They have improved it with the F800Pro model which just came out. I would cross-shop that against the latest Blackvue DR750S-2Ch.

The advantage of the Thinkware is that it is designed with both driving and parking modes in mind. It has built-in capability to draw on the car battery for power and to stop drawing when the battery reaches a certain threshold (to prevent draining the car battery. This feature works very well and in my experience it can go 3 weeks without hitting the cut-off threshold or pushing the battery below 12V. So the parking mode works flawlessly and is safe for your car.

The Blackvue on the other hand doesn't have this power management feature and so if you want to use it in parking mode you need to buy a hard wiring kit called Power Magic Pro which performs the same power management feature using the car battery. Its a less elegant solution, but people say it works, and the Blackvue has slightly better video (60fps) and other features.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:52 AM
C4SxM5
Instructor

I have these blackvue in all of my cars
https://m.costco.com/DR650S-2CH-Two-...100135079.html

along with a BLACKVUE B-112 Power Magic Battery Pack 3000mAh 12.8V Car Battery Discharge. I’ve used the magic pro hardware kit on previous Porsche’s and have it installed on my ford raptor but opted not to use it on my current 991 due to issues i had on a previous 958.2 ctt.

Regarding view, you definetly want a 2 channel system to catch front and rear since the cost is minimal and the only con is the install to run the wire to the rear.

On both of my incidents the prepretrator walked past the front and rear of the car before they keyed/broke into the car so I had a clear picture of their face. I don’t know of any camera that will have a 360 view but your chances are pretty good with a 2ch system that you will catch whatever occurs.

As as long as you have some form of battery back up the motion detection will catch movement a few seconds before the motion actually occurs.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:18 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SxM5
I have these blackvue in all of my cars
https://m.costco.com/DR650S-2CH-Two-...100135079.html

along with a BLACKVUE B-112 Power Magic Battery Pack 3000mAh 12.8V Car Battery Discharge. I’ve used the magic pro hardware kit on previous Porsche’s and have it installed on my ford raptor but opted not to use it on my current 991 due to issues i had on a previous 958.2 ctt.

Regarding view, you definetly want a 2 channel system to catch front and rear since the cost is minimal and the only con is the install to run the wire to the rear.

On both of my incidents the prepretrator walked past the front and rear of the car before they keyed/broke into the car so I had a clear picture of their face. I don’t know of any camera that will have a 360 view but your chances are pretty good with a 2ch system that you will catch whatever occurs.

As as long as you have some form of battery back up the motion detection will catch movement a few seconds before the motion actually occurs.
It is worth upgrading these to the latest 750S model of the Blackvue because the latest Sony sensor has a massive improvement in low light visibility, plus you get 1080p on the rear and 60FPS. The 650 model only had 720p on the rear.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 PM
johnhb1234
Intermediate

Stealthpilot,

One of these two systems, the BlackVue or the Thinkware F800Pro, at least in the previous version, didn't do memory buffer before the motion detector picked
up an incident, so there wasn't a few seconds of video before the event. There was a review online comparings systems, but at 40+ minutes, I skimmed
through parts of it. At one point, they even said an alternative was two cameras. Perhaps they meant taking a 1-channel system and using two of them
for the front and rear of the car?

I don't mind the extra cost and wiring of a battery back up with the BlackVue 750S, as long as it has the memory buffering, which I suspect is important
to pick parked car incidents, such as vandilism or theft.

Any feedback from the group on the trade-offs between these two newer sytems? Such as which cases one is better than the other for picking up
driving incidents (front and rear), license plates from cars that might hit me, and parking incidents (vandalism, theft) and which system has
a better chance to pick it up due to a wider field of vision.

Thanks,

John B.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:50 PM
johnhb1234
Intermediate

Stealthpilot, did you buy this yourself from research or is there a good store or online source that could direct me to so I can speak to someone who sells and installs these
solutions? I wouldn't mind speaking with someone that can give me detailed trade-offs of the newer versions of the BlackVue and ThinkWare.

Thanks,

John B.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 PM
MJM911
Instructor

I have no affiliation or receive any incentives: http://www.blackboxmycar.com/ and you might like this video: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...nt=54095568071
Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Bringing this up to the top as I am looking to install cameras. When talking with the dealer, they were recommending the 650 over the 750 as the 750 has been having issues. Anyone have problems with the 750 they installed? I still have time to make a decision, and can't seem to find anything in searching that there is a huge issue with the 750 and am thinking the sales guy is just trying to move old product.

-TJ
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I run 3 vehicles with the 650...works great..no complaints..SD card must be replaced about every year
Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

You guys all seriously need to move!
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM
hami
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues I had the 650 and upgraded to 750, 1080 front and rear definitely worth it and over cloud, I have a power pack that last 24hrs or continuous recording and with mobile hotspot in the car you can check on the car over cloud. I've also installed VAVA for side view.

Quick Reply: Turbo S/Need Camera for driving and protection of the car