Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why so long for a TTS build slot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:19 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Why so long for a TTS build slot?

In the interest of transparency, I will start by saying that I was told by my P dealer that I could be pulled forward out of my current lease 12 months early. Current lease expires in Sept 2018. It is a 2105 TTS.2 Cabriolet. I was well below my allowable mileage for this current lease, so knowing I was going to pulled forward a year, I wanted to put all the allowable mileage on the current lease before turning it in, so I did. I am paying for those miles, so why not drive them?

Started building the new TTS.2 Cab in June/July and finished it in August and got the Porsche code for the new car, which was submitted to the dealer at the same time (we did the build in his office).

I was told the car could be built in October and would be here by end of the year (THIS YEAR!!). That would be a 9 month pull forward on the current lease. OK, great, right?

In September, the dealer told me they couldn't get the slot in with Porsche and were going to get it within a month. (The build slot).

September came and went. No available build slot. So did October. Still no available build slot for me.

Now it's the end of November and I just left the dealer and my guy told me we are now probably looking at a March, 2018 build and delivery in early summer 2018.

Should I really be waiting this long for a new 2018 TTS Cab? Is that the new norm?

This dealer told me he could pull me forward out of my current lease this past June/July, and if they pulled me forward into a new car from them, they could pull me forward a year (exactly 12 months early) out of this current lease and into a new lease and not to worry about going over my allowable mileage for the current lease, they'd take care of it, as well as any normal wear and tear. Great, right?

So, from what it sounds like, I will be waiting almost 9 months total from the time I submitted the build to the time the new car might be here. No guarantee on that 9 months either.

Is this normal these days? I have never had to wait for a new build slot for so long before. Is it because it's a new Turbo S Cab and not a more common model?

I have taken 6 cars from this dealer, all 3 year leases: 2000 Boxster S, 2003 911 Base, 2006 911 S, 2009 911 4S, 2012 911 4S, and a 2015 Turbo S. All Cabs. (I think those are the correct dates and cars). The new TTS.2 Cab will be the 7th car I'll be taking from this same dealer.

I fell, and still am, totally in love with my 2015 TTS.2 Cab. By far, the best car I've ever had. I may end up buying the lease out on the current one as there should be some equity in the lease, $20-$30K worth of equity, and then selling it to a friend for the same price I buyout the lease for. (Or possible just keep it and give it to my wife to drive as her DD).

I would hate to think the dealer is playing games with me so as to not have to pull me forward, or for some other reason.

I am not making any accusations or anything like that. I just can't understand why I have to wait so long for the new TTS.2 Cab.

Is there a shortage of 2018 TTS.2 Cab build slots these days?

Has anyone else had to wait this long for just a build slot for a new TTS.2 Cab?

Any help, advice, or similar experiences with this car from anyone here??

Thanks for any and all info.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:46 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I was recently, a few weeks ago, offered a build slot for an 18 TTS Cab with delivery in a few months by Porsche North Scottsdale. I declined the offer and of course don't know what would have happened if I had accepted. Maybe the same scenario as you?

But it indeed seems odd to me that the your wait time is so long. Maybe someone else who actually went through the process recently can share their experience.

I ended up purchasing a '14 TTS Cab CPO which I really like, absolutely great car.

Either way, no one will feel sorry for you driving around in your '15 TTS Cab waiting for your '18 TTS Cab, lol
Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Not a Turbo but I submitted my order for a C2S September 6 and it was accepted into the system with a build slot that day. It now looks like I will be getting the car late February/early March. That is 6 months just on a normal C2S. Seemed quite slow to me as well.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:21 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think that if a dealer has secured a build slot, the car should be ready for delivery within a few months. Sounds like these dealers are trying to sell cars without first having secured a slot or maybe giving the slot to another customer who has a more profitable build to them and telling you that the delay is through Porsche.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

the more I think about this, it makes sense from a dealers point of view

the dealer makes more money the closer you get to your lease term, i.e. they have less balance to pay on the remaining lease

they are probably accepting other more profitable deals first, before you
Old 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

TTS builds are tough to get. This has been discussed recently. Basically, they didn't have an allocation and didn't/couldn't swap or get another from PCNA so they are pushing you back until they get an allocation. Some dealers only get one or 2 TTS/TTS Cabs all year.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
the more I think about this, it makes sense from a dealers point of view

the dealer makes more money the closer you get to your lease term, i.e. they have less balance to pay on the remaining lease

they are probably accepting other more profitable deals first, before you
I don't follow the logic here. The dealer already made their $$. The lessor, PFS is the one who allows the pull ahead and is due to lease balance. Not the dealer. You have to lease again or finance through PFS to get the pull ahead.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:34 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I am beginning to think that there are just not that many build slots out there for a TTS.2 Cab.

My dealer showed me their allocation for the next 12 months and there were only 2 slots for the TTS.2 Cab and mine was one of them.

Much to my surprise, I would say (from what I saw on my guys computer screen last night) that about 75-80% of their allocated build slots were for the SUV's, both the Macan and the Cayenne. Those seem to be the really hot sellers right now and that is backed up by the PCNA sales numbers.

Still, I am finding it hard to believe how long I have to wait (with no guarantee of ANY date) for this new TTS.2 Cab to get a build slot.

They have been trying to trade for one for me, but no luck so far.

If there are any P dealers reading this and have a build slot to trade, please shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with my dealer.

Anyone else with any experience with this problem?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I don't follow the logic here. The dealer already made their $$. The lessor, PFS is the one who allows the pull ahead and is due to lease balance. Not the dealer. You have to lease again or finance through PFS to get the pull ahead.
It's my understand that the manufacturer periodically allows a set amount of waived monthly payments, as an incentive, if the customer signs a new lease. That set amount varies, usually between 3-6 months of lease payments, that the manufacture will waive. Additional months can be waived by the dealer. In this case he is offered 12 months of waived payments if he signs a new lease. I would suspect that a good portion of that would be paid by the dealer, so the closer he gets to lease term the less the dealer pays.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 566 Posts

TTS are in limited supply in 2018. Don't know why, but for example, when PAG gave me the first open allocation in Canada back in September, the earliest non-allocated slot was January production. And that's directly from PAG before it gets to dealers. Canada generally has less supply relative to demand compared to the US, but this is a change from 2017, so it's likely supply in the US dried up as well. Having said that, it's probably worth calling around and asking other dealers what they can offer?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
TTS are in limited supply in 2018. Don't know why, but for example, when PAG gave me the first open allocation in Canada back in September, the earliest non-allocated slot was January production. And that's directly from PAG before it gets to dealers. Canada generally has less supply relative to demand compared to the US, but this is a change from 2017, so it's likely supply in the US dried up as well. Having said that, it's probably worth calling around and asking other dealers what they can offer?
My dealer has been trying to trade for a slot for me with every other dealer in the country, or so I am being told. He has not been able to get one to trade for. That is making me think that there is more to it than just "no slots available".
I just can't understand why the wait is so long. You would think that the dealer (and PCNA for that matter) would want to get me into a new TTS.2.
I just can't understand why there are none available for so long.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Anyone with any other suggestions?
Any dealers out there have a slot to trade?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
My dealer has been trying to trade for a slot for me with every other dealer in the country, or so I am being told. He has not been able to get one to trade for. That is making me think that there is more to it than just "no slots available".
I just can't understand why the wait is so long. You would think that the dealer (and PCNA for that matter) would want to get me into a new TTS.2.
I just can't understand why there are none available for so long.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Anyone with any other suggestions?
Any dealers out there have a slot to trade?
I suggest you call around. Not all dealers trade with each other and I would think due to limited slots, dealers may not want to give it up and rather retail their own allocation. Are you open to purchasing from another dealer who might have availability?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Are you open to purchasing from another dealer who might have availability?
Yes, thanks.
You got someone in particular you're talking about or just a general question?
Thanks..
Old 11-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yes, thanks.
You got someone in particular you're talking about or just a general question?
Thanks..
General question... call around. Are you in NJ?

There are sponsors in the classified that you can PM for their allocations and feedback. I did text my sales rep too.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:24 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

General question... call around. Are you in NJ?

There are sponsors in the classified that you can PM for their allocations and feedback. I did text my sales rep too.
Yes, North Jersey. I will check the classifieds as well. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Why so long for a TTS build slot?