Turbo and other choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:28 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt
I am the OP and drove my first 911 and 2015 TurboS today. This one

What a car.. It is so damn fast that things happen before the mind can register. It has much more speed than I can desire. Amazing. As stated earlier, Cali-30 and FF are the "ideal" cars from driving experience standpoint. I am basically thinking how 911 can get close to that experience. That would make my decision easier Couple of things come to mind.

1. Exhaust note - The TurboS felt way faster than Cali/FF. The violent acceleration should be matched with similar sound. Are there some exhaust tweaks to add more occassion to speed, perhaps 70-80% of Cali/FF?

2. Steering paddle shifter vs PDK shifter - With sport mode on. I would assume that hitting +/- on paddle shifter has the same effect as moving PDK lever to manual and shifting +/-. For some reason, it felt that PDK shifter had quicker effect on engine RPM than steering shifter.

2. Throttle response - Imagine the car is gently cruising at 25 mph and RPM is < 2K. If you press the gas, it takes a short while before the RPM climbs and power surge comes in. North of 3.5K, the car is just unstoppable. Is the delay to build RPM mainly because of turbo engine? On the other hand, Cali-30/FF feel responsive at all RPMs. Press the gas and RPM climbs instantly. Is this because of their NA engines?
1. If you are talking about NA California, not California T, then probably not 70-80% But you can get it to sound MUCH better than stock. That's a must-have mod for me, and I've never modded exhausts on my cars before. Well, actually I did, but to make them quieter.
2. It's the same - it's an electrical switch that sends the same signal. What may cause this illusion is that the PDK shifter can be moved further past the point where the shift happens, so if you move it not super-quickly, then the shift may happen even before the lever reaches the limiter. Pedals engage shifters at the bottom of their travel. Anyway, both are very fast, especially in sport mode - faster than almost anything else, including supercars.
3. Throttle response - yes, it's partially because it's turbo engine but mostly because Turbo cruises at such a low RPM that it has to climb up much more than any Ferrari to get into the power band. Ferrari's keep engines in higher RPM mostly for this reason. Keep it in sport mode or shift manually, and that will not be an issue (and you will still burn less fuel than any Ferrari). Or there is a Cobb mod for gearbox that changes shift points to slightly higher revs. But keeping it in Sport mode is usually enough. The benefit of the turbo thought is that there is not as much "rev-lag", when engine needs to rev up a lot to get into power band. For example, if you have Tubo and GT3 at about 2K RPM and punch both, GT3 will rev up faster, but it will need to get past 4.5K RPM to make decent power, while Turbo will pool strongly at just 2.5K RPM.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:51 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Re: exhaust - it seems 991.2 GTS has pretty good exhaust note from the turbo engine. How does it do?
Also, is sport exhaust an option on 991.1 TurboS, is it any good? I didn't see it on my car today.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:01 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Re: exhaust - it seems 991.2 GTS has pretty good exhaust note from the turbo engine. How does it do?
Also, is sport exhaust an option on 991.1 TurboS, is it any good? I didn't see it on my car today.
Plenty of good aftermarket exhausts that will bring life to the sound and feel of the TTS. If you've got a warranty/CPO to protect just make sure to get a catback version. Note the turbos being in-line will always have more muffling impact than exhaust on an NA car. The Sharkworks is a simple TTS solution, Kline, Euro, Tubi and others are out there too.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:17 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Which exhaust is closest to providing an angry/barking sound at high RPM like F cars? It would also be good to know ballpark prices.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Which exhaust is closest to providing an angry/barking sound at high RPM like F cars? It would also be good to know ballpark prices.
You won't get the same hi rev sound like the GTs due to the difference in redlines. Do a search, there are threads on exhausts that will give you a better idea on what's out there.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:44 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Its the OP back again. I have a very basic question.

My current CTT is pretty docile below 2k RPM. One can cruise gently and its very smooth. It has a dual personality. You push the gas, RPM climbs quickly and you get pushed back to the seat. Truly feels like a phenomenal engine at play. I like this feeling of massive pull and ease of transition from gentle to beast mode.

I would like to have this behavior in a 911. TTS definitely has it based on my test drive. Not sure about S/GTS in their .1 NA or .2 turbo versions since I haven't driven them. Is this characteristic related to both a) High torque and HP 2) Turbo nature of engine?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

a. Turbo lag is non-existant

Quick Reply: Turbo and other choices