991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

PCCB Brake Squeal

Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm superstitious so i am not going to say whether they sqeak or not, but i am super happy with them😉
Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
and no brake dust all over your wheels!
That's a tremendous benefit! I love it.

Back to the brake squeal topic, I have noticed that there are two places where I experience this. In both cases, it involves slowing down on a slight decline, approaching a stop sign at under 20 mph. It doesn't happen every time, but those are the only two places where it happens. I'm not sure why this is the case - they must the perfect combination of brake pressure, incline, etc.

On another note, I have noticed one issue that I have only experienced on my cars with PCCB. On both cars, I have had a pebble caught between the brake caliper and the inner barrel of the wheel, resulting in a scratch or even a small groove inside the wheel. I think this is really a clearance issue and not a PCCB issue, but the PCCB rotors and calipers are huge and there's not much space in there.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

One more thing to add - my 2014 Turbo S is currently at my local dealership for service (30,000 mile service, including oil change, spark plugs, brake fluid flush, etc.). My PCCB pads were measured on all four wheels, and the thickness was 9mm. This is a car that's not driven on the track - it is only driven on the street (mixed highway and city driving). I should be able to get another 5 years and 30,000 miles before I start thinking about changing them.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:38 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

For what it's worth my 991 GT3 has almost 45k miles on her. Yes, I love her and drive her almost every day.

My PCCB's from new rarely squeaked until around 20k miles. No track use at all with this car. Strictly a road car. So. California for those that are talking about different temperatures etc.

From about 20k miles on they squeak intermittently. No rhyme or reason why or when they decide to squeal! Not only after a panic stop or if I've driven it like a limo in traffic for 10 miles. Just decides to squeak at different times.

After a hose or power washing the squeal will stop until after an afternoon of driving. 20-30 miles or so. A 100mph to zero hard on the pedal stop will eliminate the squeal for a few miles or so but returns. Cold or hot. No difference. Then some days I hop in the car and it won't squeal at all. I have a theory and for $800 I just may replace all the pads, springs, bolts and sensors. Perhaps it's age of the pads? Perhaps the newest Porsche PCCB pads won't squeal at all? I don't know.

FWIW, I had a 64k mile 2013 Carrera S with the iron brakes and they never ever squeaked. I went through pads every 10k miles and changed them myself. No squeaking.

Here's something some guys should hear but maybe someone hasn't said anything yet. The iron (steel) brakes stop amazingly well. In fact, in a panic stop situation say at the bottom of a freeway/highway off ramp you need to stand on the brakes in a last second situation and they will stop. Period.

The PCCB's do need a few pumps of the brakes to get a little heat in the to stop as good as the iron brakes in a panic situation. If you are not familiar with the ceramics it will freak you out the first time. Of course after they have just a few stops of heat in them they do stop only slightly better than the irons. On the track, that's a whole other mud wrestling thread.

Here's a nice data point for you guys. Like I said almost 45,000 miles and the rotors still look new. The pads all the way around have between 10-11 mm of pad left. Amazing. Mind you no track days on these brakes.

I know there are always guys (and gals) searching the internet trying to get an idea how long the PCCB's will last. There you have it for street use. At my current mileage that's most likely 2 or 3 lifetimes in the time ownership for one of these GT cars so yes, the PCCB rotors and pads will last the life of the car.

It's a 2015 991.1.

I'll check back in another 45k miles and let you know where I'm at on my pads then. Ha ha.

Again, don't be afraid to drive your GT3. We only get one go around in life. Don't save your GT3, your RS, Touring (Chris), or your GT2 for that matter for the next guy. Enjoy.

Miles and miles of happy smiles.

Last edited by MarcusG; 05-17-2019 at 02:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcusG:
Vance0818 (12-27-2021), Victory911 (02-16-2024)
Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 AM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for the informative write up!!!!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

My 991.2 brakes rarely squeal, but they are PCCB3 and I understand that some if not all of those issues were addressed with the update.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 472 Posts

Have them on most of my cars, they are fine 99.9% of the time, they can make some squeal when cold "sometimes" , would not trade them for anything, great for the street
Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Just started getting the dreaded brake seal at 20k miles
Old 09-21-2020, 03:44 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Had squeal on my iron GT3, but no squeal on my 991.2 TTS PCCBs......have had 5 Porsches and the GT3 was the only one......would clean them and it was okay for a while......re-bedded them and okay for a while.....but back again.....never could quiet them.......

I even used aluminum paste and chamfered the edges of the pads on the GT3 irons to eliminate any rattle, which worked to eliminate the noise with my SL 65 AMG ceramic brake squeal.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB Brake Squeal