Sponsored by: Road Spy

Feedback on this listing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 02:34 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Feedback on this listing

I have a 14 CTT. And evaluating to add a 911 GTS/Turbo to the stable in few months. I came across this 2015 Turbo S listing at a local car dealer. There are certain aspects that are intriguing. Please share your perspective

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=468353449

1. This car dealer has some really nice selection of high end vehicles including Porsches (upper trims), Ferraris. Almost all of these cars have been acquired at auction (based on carfax report) including the above example. Is this something to be wary of?

2. Autotrader shows a clean Carfax record. There is a single owner. But the car wasn't sold by Porsche dealer. It originated in Louisville, KY bluegrassauto.com. What does this imply?
3. Then the car moved to Woodland Hills, CA followed by Beverly Hill, CA. Finally it was sold at auction. Why should such a clean looking car move places? And then sold at auction. Does selling a relatively new "in-demand" car at auction imply suspicious background?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt
There are certain aspects that are intriguing.
I don't see anything "intriguing" in that build. It's a TurboS with the premium plus package, glass roof, and Burmester. Everything else mentioned is standard on a TurboS or part of the plus package. Practically every TurboS seems to have exactly this build.

If something about the ad bothers you then move on and keep looking. You should be able to find another one just like it.

But the car wasn't sold by Porsche dealer. It originated in Louisville, KY bluegrassauto.com.
Bluegrass Auto is a holding company that owns - amoung other marques - a Porsche dealership franchise. So, yes, it was sold at some point by a Porsche dealer.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:29 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a stripper to me...there are way more interesting builds out there
Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

In general should there be any concerns about cars procured from auction? I would think car's history could be suspect. Or a clean carfax a reliable indicator?
Also, please elaborate why you think this build is fairly basic? What else to look for in Turbo S which should have most options standard?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Looks OK to me. Not a lot of options, but then I don't like a lot of options. More important, have it inspected by a competent mechanic, usually a dealer. Also, if you have the VIN (and you do) then you can get a full service history on the car from any dealer. If carfax is clean, the mechanic signs off, and there are no crazy things like 5 brake changes (indicating heavy track use) then it should be fine. I guaranty that if a Porsche dealer puts there electronic rotor meter on the PCCB they will fail, but it has no bearing on the car. The Carboteq tool is garbage designed to sell more $7000/each rotors. Also, you should still have most of a year's warranty left on it, so that's also piece of mind.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

CarFax doesn’t ensure much. They are only as good as the data that shops/vendors/states/insurance provide, mostly a marketing tool for dealers/sellers. Things don’t always get picked up or reported to the data sources CarFax my use so nothing shows in a report. Yes you gotta wonder why a “quality car” needs to be sold thru auction(s). Sometimes it is just due to a weak geographic market or dealer trades. As others have said a good detailed inspection is key. If nothing else with the listing you have some rationale and leverage to work on price. There are also other cars out there, winter is a good time to look and buy. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

When a Porsche lease runs out, Porsche then does an internal "auction" for resale, it's just paperwork, not an actual auction. Cars often get moved around the country depending on which dealership wants it. I was unable to get the full service history on my car from my local Porsche dealership, they told me dealers only keep records on the cars they service, which does not sound right to me. Does anyone here have personal experience with this? I don't see anything really suspicious about the car.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
slink
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was unable to get the full service history on my car from my local Porsche dealership, they told me dealers only keep records on the cars they service, which does not sound right to me. Does anyone here have personal experience with this? I don't see anything really suspicious about the car.

When I was looking at an out of state CPO 2014 CTT, which I now own, my local dealer had to call the other dealer to get service records for the car. Dealers do not have access to other dealers service records. At least my dealer didn't at the time.

Quick Reply: Feedback on this listing