Sponsored by: Road Spy

Oil in Passenger Side Turbo J-tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 08:51 AM
Gregmendez
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil in Passenger Side Turbo J-tube

Is this normal? I've read that this is apparently inherent to Porsche's design. The J tube from the turbo cold side to the intercooler holds a few ounces of oil from blow-by. Thoughts on a catch can?
Old 01-29-2024, 06:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregmendez
Is this normal? I've read that this is apparently inherent to Porsche's design. The J tube from the turbo cold side to the intercooler holds a few ounces of oil from blow-by. Thoughts on a catch can?
Lot’s of threads on this.

Crankcase breather system is “undersized” for the Turbo; it’s practically identical to the non-“Turbo” breather system but with 50%+ more capacity required.

Inlet tube acts as a ‘catch can.’ I’m just draining it every year which is ~4k miles for me.

So, yes, it is “normal” though not desirable.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:32 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 176 Posts

After seeing some oil drips on the floor, I also found the right side intercooler boost hose wet with oil. It only happens on the right side because that one is connected to the crankcase ventilation system. Dealer replaced it free under the CPO warranty with a new design hose that Porsche came out with after 2015. The new hose has two seals instead of one to stop oil leaking on the floor. However, that doesn't stop oil accumulation, just the oil dripping on the floor.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:52 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

It appears that either a catch can or routine removal and draining of the hose is the right action.

I'm not fond of sucking that oil up and through the turbo after the accumulation has gotten too high. I might even say the leaking hose is a feature to warn you rather than a defect.

Has anybody thought about a drain spout to make this maintenance quick and easy? Just winging it here.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:07 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
It appears that either a catch can or routine removal and draining of the hose is the right action.
A bigger breather system is the right action. But, that’s motor out for R&D. It’ll be a while ‘fore I get to that.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:44 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

I'm not fond of sucking that oil up and through the turbo after the accumulation has gotten too high. I might even say the leaking hose is a feature to warn you rather than a defect.

Has anybody thought about a drain spout to make this maintenance quick and easy? Just winging it here.
I was thinking the same thing after the dealer got the "upgraded" hose covered under CPO.

Oddly enough, the dealer shop foreman told me that driving it in a more spirited fashion would cut down the amount of oil in that hose. That seemed counterintuitive to me, and I would characterize my TTS driving style as always having been "spirited" with the exception of a couple of highway roadtrips.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-30-2024 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil in Passenger Side Turbo J-tube