Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
As someone who "upgraded" to GT3 RS, I miss my Turbo for the track. All it needed was tires and maybe lowering springs.
Yeah, but Voodoo Blue anything is pretty awesome, too!!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:43 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911

265/325/19
That pic was from when I blew a turbo 1 1/2 ago.
I think the biggest stress running slicks is on the wheel hubs. More Gs means more force.
simple psychics.
I am kind of PO , I spent some bucks to convert to 19s Hoosiers, now they are available in 20s. FINALLY
At the end of the day, just having fun!
I love this setup and considering buying a set for me in glossy black, can you pls PM the vendor or at least specs and will find a dealer in Europe. Thanks
Old 08-21-2018, 12:15 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Interestingly, the GT3 crowd is now beginning to show some respect for the TTS platform. Most will concede they cannot run with a properly driven and sorted TTS, which has to kill them.
I've been on GT Porsche cars for each generation since the 996.2, but the 991 Turbo S was the first water cooled turbo car that I considered well put together in regards to driving dynamics, all the previous cars (996TT, 997.1 and 997.2 TT) had dynamic manners that could not be fixed with upgrades, as most of their limitations where on how the AWD worked (inducing understeer when the cars were already understeeering). Basically, the only way to fix them was to convert them to RWD, adding a true Limited Slip Diff, and apply all other changes.

I have driven the 991.2 Turbo S and found it to be better than my 991.1 Turbo S in stock form. Details like holding the gear in manual mode (something only done by the 991 GT cars), the boost preload for quicker response, and the shock tuning are the nice upgrades, the 991.2 Turbo S definitely has more than 20Hp over the 991.1 Turbo S (true difference is over 30Hp).

I enjoy the feedback of my 991 GT3 RS, and the soundtrack too, but there is no doubt that for faster track times, the TTS is the car. Little can be done to the GT3RS to make it better, lots can be done to the TTS to make it better.

One thing for sure, a stock 991 Turbo S is a fun car but not meant to be a track weapon, there are artificial set backs that prevent proper setup for track use, but they are easy to fix with a small budget.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
I love this setup and considering buying a set for me in glossy black, can you pls PM the vendor or at least specs and will find a dealer in Europe. Thanks
If you are in Europe you might want to consider these TUV 19" wheels that clear PPCBs...
http://www.daxwheels.com/collectie/dax1040/

There are other models.. The owner is Dave, knows our cars very well.

Or BBS obviously.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

I have emailed them last night, waiting for their answer, didnt know BBS R19 will clear the PCCB... hmmm.... that would be another nice option to follow FI-Rs maybe.
Also I am still in love with Forgeline but I am 50% Lebanese so can have up to 4 brides, or wheels LOL
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have emailed them last night, waiting for their answer, didnt know BBS R19 will clear the PCCB... hmmm.... that would be another nice option to follow FI-Rs maybe.
Also I am still in love with Forgeline but I am 50% Lebanese so can have up to 4 brides, or wheels LOL
please do share any information you get regarding the 19s clearing the pccb. I will be shopping wheels when I get back from vacation in September. The top contender now is the Advan GTs. I just loved the look on the white TSM car, reviewed by Matt @ Onetake... supposedly they are very light and very strong. Close to the BBS which is also produced in Japan in terms of weight and about 3k cheaper... But 19s would be an even better choice...
Old 08-22-2018, 02:03 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
please do share any information you get regarding the 19s clearing the pccb. I will be shopping wheels when I get back from vacation in September. The top contender now is the Advan GTs. I just loved the look on the white TSM car, reviewed by Matt @ Onetake... supposedly they are very light and very strong. Close to the BBS which is also produced in Japan in terms of weight and about 3k cheaper... But 19s would be an even better choice...
The BBS will clear as well as a few Forgeline's and HRE's. The HRE R101 Lightweights will be the most lightweight aluminum options beating out everything else mentioned. Feel free to contact me when you return from vacation to go over all the specs and data.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Whatever 19" you end up getting make sure you get 997GT2/3RS offsets and nothing else. They fit perfectly and will fit 275/675 DH front and 315/705 rear with race lowered suspension.
Check out the flag on my side window
Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Ohhhh... I habe been in Beirut from 2-5years old during the war, and I am contemplating moving out to Dubai for a few years, maybe we will get to know each other better.
I have followed your advice for wheels and guess will come to a resolution in the next few days, thanks.

On the other hand, I have placed an order to KW like 5 weeks ago for adjustable springs and today I hit them a message... seems they will be late for another moth or so
But in the meantime I have read on KWs site that these springs arent comaptible with 991s equipped with front axle system !!!!!!! And I said, ok... lets switch to Eibach... same story... not compatible with FAL
I would exclude H&R from my options and seems the last provider should be Techart and afaik they don't produce those in house, so maybe also Eibach or something using their specs. I have searched here and seems Techart are the only lowering springs compatible with 991.2 TT/S with front axle lift.

I hit them an email and will wait tomorrow to see their offficial answer, but I really dont get it... how come all are wrong and Techart is ok, lets wait and see... I am pissed, but still dont want to move to a race suspension or so.

Can I use only front camber plates to adjust the camber and call it a day for now? Maybe add only the DSC controller? But guess even the DSC generates errors with FAL... I thought FAL will help me, but seems it is the other way around...

Anybody here runs lowering spring and has front axle lift system? Let us know please, as guess I am not the only one interested into some more info
Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
The BBS will clear as well as a few Forgeline's and HRE's. The HRE R101 Lightweights will be the most lightweight aluminum options beating out everything else mentioned. Feel free to contact me when you return from vacation to go over all the specs and data.
so are we saying that there are offsets and models in the 19 inch range that would fit over the 991 PCCBs with no modifications whatsoever? So far everything posted here requires some component changes for a split hair fit...

is it possible to play with the barrel depth on a wheel to allow for more clearance? What would be the challenge by custom building such wheel?
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

pepinoazur have you checked with Manthey? Michael Grassl from sales.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:26 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
so are we saying that there are offsets and models in the 19 inch range that would fit over the 991 PCCBs with no modifications whatsoever? So far everything posted here requires some component changes for a split hair fit...

is it possible to play with the barrel depth on a wheel to allow for more clearance? What would be the challenge by custom building such wheel?
Yes sir that is correct. The fit would be very tight and it must be noted that if a rock or other debris got caught in the barrel then it could scuff both the wheel and the calipers but they do in fact clear.

HRE has a few models, like the R101's, that use a larger barrel ID to be able to allow for the more clearance. Photo of such wheel in 19" below. Contact me for more details: David@WheelsBoutoque.com

Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sharing my few tire and wheel personal experiences.

Wheels OZ Forgiatta 19" front 9" and rear 12", offsets 47 and 48.
I mostly target the four corners for the same hot tire pressure

Hoosier 19" R7
Fr 265/35 target pressure 36-38PSI
Rr 325/30 target pressure same

Pirelli DH slicks 19"
Fr 275/675 target pressure 30PSI
Rr 325/705 same target pressure

On stock 20" wheels
Trofeo R 20"
Fr 245/35 target pressure 30-34
Rr 305/30 same as above

Michelin Cup 2 20"
Fr 245/35 target pressure 32-34
Rr 305/30 target pressure same as above

My preferred tire is the Trofeo R, needs to get up to temps and then becomes the closest to a slick. I use them on 20" for practice sessions.

Findings:
Maximum diameter front without rubbing 27.1" and width 265mm (actual tread width, not based on tire markings)
Maximum diameter rear without rubbing 27.8" and width 342 mm

The tire I dislike most is 19" Hoosier R7, it has a softer compound than the Trofeo R but is Load rated 86 only, and speed W, so it has a soft sidewall, which results in a contact patch area for a 991 turbo at 62 mph of roughly 856 sq.cm, vs. 705 sq.cm for the 20" Trofeo R, so thats 21% more contact area. Great for grip theoretically, but not for a heavy car with a lot of torque, the sidewall can't keep up in acceleration, cornering and braking and creates a sense of instability in the car and waving, which makes you be more cautious. Friction coefficient is not everything, and it degrades very quickly.

The Cup2 is a more stable tire, but yet I am not comfortable with the slow heat build up or its snappiness. Everything else is really good, its a big tire with good grip and sidewall stability.

Slicks in medium hardness (Pirelli DH) are just perfect, 3 secs faster than Trofeo R on average, the level of confidence you get with them is unmatched obviously, the cornering transitions are super smooth, and braking grip amazing, you will be getting the ABS' kickback from 1.2-1.6Gs of braking, but just keep the foot pressed into trail braking and it will go on rails into the next apex.

Never had any lights, ABS or other on the dashboard because of tire circumference difference or grip levels.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Definitely give the Cup 2 in 265/325 a try sometime. I run the 991.2 GT2 RS version of the 265, and the Mercedes version of the 325. They cut my times 1.5 seconds, and seem to be stiffer for better control in braking too. And they also fit my car with Techart springs without meaningful rubbing. I try to keep them between 30-33 psi.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 AM
pepinozaur
Racer

Fronts
9x20 ET51
9.5x20 ET50

Rears
12x20 ET47 (also56 and 63)

I am considering more and more staying on 20" instead of 19", the above are OZ Superforgiata wheels, all offsets available..

What should be the best combo? Guess running R20 245-265 front hoosiers r7 and 335 rears should give us a lot of grip and not more than 1s slower tines on a medium length track(my local track is 2.6miles/4.1km)

Would you do 9 or 9.5 front wheels?
Guess the rear 12/ et47 should be ok and doesnt get out of the body

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car