Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 10:04 AM
miky360
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What're you guys doing for some extra cooling? I'm running a little spicy after about 4/5 laps. Full ByDesign Stage 4+Meth for reference.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:03 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by miky360
What're you guys doing for some extra cooling? I'm running a little spicy after about 4/5 laps. Full ByDesign Stage 4+Meth for reference.
I had Sam give me a tune for the road course. It made a difference for me on the 20 minute sessions. But I am only a stage 2 though.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:05 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by miky360
Yeah, this is a question for @SamboTT@ByDesign . He suggested that I NOT use his tuning for a track car, but that was several years ago. I'd love it if he can answer this question on this forum for all of us to see.

Last edited by Randyc151; 06-27-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:22 PM
miky360
Instructor

Yeah I'm currently using his road course tune and it haaauuuulllsss
The following users liked this post:
Bluemax2 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:54 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Nice weekend Miky!

Hey @Randyc151 it’s been a while… Please feel free to reach out anytime. What I mean is the maps that we build to make the cars fast and fun on the street are different from what we put together for long sessions with on a road course. Those conditions are much more grueling and you get higher loads/temperatures so the maps will vary for sure. Not to mention the fact that you don’t want that much torque that we have fun with on the street coming out of corners on the track. I can happily go over all that with you. We usually have a map for every occasion so that you can get the most out of every situation as safe and consistent as possible

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following 2 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
Archille (09-01-2022), Bluemax2 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 02:04 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Nice weekend Miky!

Hey @Randyc151 it’s been a while… Please feel free to reach out anytime. What I mean is the maps that we build to make the cars fast and fun on the street are different from what we put together for long sessions with on a road course. Those conditions are much more grueling and you get higher loads/temperatures so the maps will vary for sure. Not to mention the fact that you don’t want that much torque that we have fun with on the street coming out of corners on the track. I can happily go over all that with you. We usually have a map for every occasion so that you can get the most out of every situation as safe and consistent as possible
Yeah, I think in late 2016 you were still working out the whole ECU thing with the 991.2 and we decided that it was not the right time for a track tune. No doubt you've advanced the science for this now, obviously. Kudos. I'm happily sticking with the stock powertrain on the GT2RS, but am plotting a track build next year based on the TTS. We'll talk then.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:59 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Time flies! I remember we were working hard with Cobb on the 991.2 stuff and boy has it come along way! Even on the GT2RS I’d be happy to have a nice discussion with you about it we’ve done so much!

I know this platform has moved over a little bit too high horsepower and straight line record type of fun. But these cars are at home on the road course. It was my true passion for so many years and I’ve had so many awesome cars I’d be happy to help any of you with anything anytime!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 06-27-2022 at 03:04 PM.
moto_geek (07-04-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 04:12 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

It's time for an update as the season is well under way and I'm in need of counsel on a few things I'm considering.

Watkins Glen
After finally having driven WGI, I will say it takes the top spot on my list of tracks so far. The track "flows" and the elevation!! Ran my fastest time on the first day (2:08) so there's plenty of room to improve with more seat time and cajones (you definitely need ***** at this track!). Got a surprise promotion to Black run group.
The CI jumped in on Sunday and promoted me to the next run group out of left field so all in all, it was an awesome weekend.

My son helping my friend with his GT3R

My son mocking me after I buy more consumables.

My friend also brought his daughter so the kids were able to play together while we were driving.

Y-Pipe hose slipping off throttle body!
Many of you ( especially @SamboTT@ByDesign trackside!) have lamented with me about the hose that connects the Y-Pipe to the Throttle Body popping off at the track (driving that heavy *** car on the track with a whopping 200hp is not fun). Even having replaced the hose with the updated part from the 991.2, it kept happening!

Well, I think I may have found out why....Notice how the hose has popped off the throttle body again...

The Y-pipe is mounted to the chassis so it doesn't really move much. Whenever the engine is revved, it's vibration gets isolated and absorbed by that rubber damper bracket in the picture below...because the rubber in the bracket has essentially rotted away (presumably due to heat), the vibration was getting passed to the throttle body.. Now, every time the engine is under load and vibrating, the throttle body was slowly pulled away from the Y-pipe hose resulting in the hose slipping off the throttle body!

In case this happens to anyone else, the part number is 9A1 110 290 71 (pictured below).

The bracket has been ordered from Germany and will be here in 6 weeks. I hope this solves it!

Pitt Race!
Excited to head back to one of my favorite tracks to drive on! I had the car loaded up and made the 4.5 hour trip up with a few of the fellas. My personal best was a 1:58 and I immediately ran a 1:56 on the first day. I lined up with one of my guys that drives a .1 GT3 on slicks and had some fun. Having a rabbit to chase proved to be valuable as I ended up running a 1:55 chasing him around. It was seeing the GT3's lightweight agility against the Turbo's traction and authority. He brakes later but I get the power sooner. Nothing but respect to a GT3 and it's really nice to go toe-to-toe with one and see the differences/trade-offs first hand.

Gorgeous day at Pitt race!

The damn boost hose popped off AGAIN but we swapped in a T-Bolt reinforced with zip ties until the new bracket arrives. So far, so good!

The fun immediately came to an end when I started feeling some vibration through a high speed kink, sure enough... I delaminated AND corded the driver front

Time to pack up and head home..

But not without a stop for some fireworks for the 4th of July..

19" Rims on the TT
My car is a Turbo (not a Turbo S) so I don't have centerlocks (thank god), PDCC or PCCB. I was chatting with my local tire guy who supports all of the car clubs in the area for some new tires and he found a set of used 19" OZ HLT ultralegerra's that came off a 997 Turbo. We mounted 265's up front and 325's in the rear before test fitting them on the car. They clear the brakes with no issues (my dust cover has already been removed) but the lower control arm! Oh my! This should sound familiar @Jean!! He tried grinding down the lower control arm a smidge to get a little more clearance but it's still tight! For those of you who have moved to 19's or trimmed the lower control arm, how much have you trimmed off? I'm worried that under heavy load, it rubs. Please share your experiences with me!

Before grinding it down a little bit:

After grinding it down a smidge..

CAMBER CAMBER CAMBER
So.. I've been wearing the outside shoulders of the front tires for some time now and it's time for some lower control arms... I had planned on doing the TPC wide track kit but candidly, renovating and furnishing the new house has me blowing through cash. I'm thinking about just doing the lower control arms at the moment as it seems to be more friendly towards my dwindling budget and I wanted to hear what others are doing?

Last edited by KONG991TT; 07-18-2022 at 07:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KONG991TT:
Bluemax2 (07-17-2022), MovingChicane (07-17-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 09:52 AM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have a track tune from Sam, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.
moto_geek (07-25-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:11 PM
miky360
Instructor

Have you guys experienced the strut tower failure like the GT guys have?
Old 12-18-2022, 07:11 PM
sig
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen strut tower failure or read of others having trouble with it, but I've only been doing this for a few years.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:13 PM
sig
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have missed it in this thread, but for the guys running 265/325 Sport Cup 2's, what cold tire pressure do you run for just driving around town?

The dealership aired my tires up to 38/48 psi and the rear tires were not gripping so well when I took a quick turn.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:41 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sig
I may have missed it in this thread, but for the guys running 265/325 Sport Cup 2's, what cold tire pressure do you run for just driving around town?

The dealership aired my tires up to 38/48 psi and the rear tires were not gripping so well when I took a quick turn.
DO NOT run tires at the pressure the dealers or the door sticker call for. Michelin calls for those tire to run between 30-35 hot. On the street, I run them at 36psi on all four corners.

Also, no, broken strut towers are not an issue on the TTS. If you hit a pothole on a Cayman...different story.
sig (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:03 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sig

In the stock sizes I run mine at 32 / 36 Cold keeps the tps system happy and feels good to me.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:43 PM
moto_geek
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

This is dealership wide default action by Porsche to be safe. But to get the performance from the tire and comfort ride you want to run them lower. This is also a tough question to ask on a forum, because so many other factors come into play. The air in your tires react differently to Atlanta cold humidity versus Colorado dry cold air. Now run them to low and risk damaging the integrity of the cord in the sidewalls as well. My recommendation for SC2's for daily driving between 32-34 front and 36-39 rear. Don't forget when you running lower air, go into your PCM of your porsche and set the tires to "Summer Tires" and the TPMS should not complain.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car