Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Welcome. I changed the whole 2 axles/driveshafts 991.349.038.03 You should look into what caused it, probably axle spacers will avoid this in the future. I had my track width maximized with the Cup control arms, and run slicks, so the axles separated from the mount which caused them to fail. Spacers can be found at Tarrett or other vendors. The whole thing is not cheap!

BTW I have had the same clicking / buckling when tires are cold after my latest alignment (much more aggressive) the weird thing is that once the tires are warmed up it goes away. With the car all apart we just redid all cv joints and checks axles etc. other than typical ware and they where good.

When checked at the track all we could come up with was an Ackerman issue with the way it had been aligned which made one of the front tires skip when cold at full turn.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:02 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Pdtp,

That's very interesting, actually thanks it was you who reminded me about using the axle spacers with my wider front track after my axles failed, and I think they're great insurance for cars with aggressive geometry and sticky tires on the track.. We need to see that beast of yours!
Old 09-24-2020, 02:10 AM
siddharth.desai
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
BTW I have had the same clicking / buckling when tires are cold after my latest alignment (much more aggressive) the weird thing is that once the tires are warmed up it goes away. With the car all apart we just redid all cv joints and checks axles etc. other than typical ware and they where good.

When checked at the track all we could come up with was an Ackerman issue with the way it had been aligned which made one of the front tires skip when cold at full turn.

Thank you Pdtp,
I will get the axle and cv joints checked immediately. I have ordered a new set in any case.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by siddharth.desai
Thank you Pdtp,
I will get the axle and cv joints checked immediately. I have ordered a new set in any case.
If you are running LCA's with shims make sure you add the axle spacers. Its the only way to safely add more camber (above stock) and not damage your axles. They are pretty reasonable and easy to install. I would also add to your maintenance schedule refreshing wheel hubs and bearings every 6k track miles.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:14 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Wjm3
that sounds more dangerous/backwards. I think the stock boost response Profile would be better. Stock the car doesn’t have weird gear shifts so why would turning off traction “help” unless the boost Onset is causing it behave non smoothly and kick it on?
I have absolutely no experience with boosted cars on track so this is a learning experience and so far a few exciting f ups but no scars. Thursday went back to stage 2 stock ecm tune with aggressive PDK which I am labeling the sweet spot and I won’t mess with this for some time. Because of weight raw power & all wheel drive I find it more work to get a great lap than with my GT but fun and a new challenge. Just being able to drive to & from the track is worth it. Observations-the AP racing rotors are as effective as the PCBs and I find a bit easier to modulate although I’m a left foot braker and my home track requires a lot of trail braking so that may just be a matter of circumstances and style. I have 1 more club day and over the winter my 1 upgrade will be to 265/325 tire widths which I think will maximize grip w/o going crazy. The cherry on top is the TTS is a vastly better street car (vs GT) on our winter ravaged NE roads, so for me this has been the perfect combination.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

Just spent the weekend with TrackDaze at Summit Point again - I think I'm at the limits of my tires (still plenty to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel!).
Ran at a 1.24 pace all weekend (without traffic) but put together a string of 1:22's. Thinking it might be time to move to a stickier compound soon.
All in all, it was nice running with TrackDaze as they give you plenty of seat time (4 hours over 2 days). I don't have the extended gas tank so I literally had to refuel in between sessions!

Old 10-01-2020, 11:35 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Aim SOLO 2 DL Users:
I need some help identifying the boost channel via CAN integration into the 991 Turbo. I've been tooling around with Race Studio and I don't actually see a channel setup for boost pressure.
Did I set up my device incorrectly or does the AIM not log the boost channel? I'm trying to see how the car is managing boost around the track..

Old 10-02-2020, 11:50 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
Aim SOLO 2 DL Users:
I need some help identifying the boost channel via CAN integration into the 991 Turbo. I've been tooling around with Race Studio and I don't actually see a channel setup for boost pressure.
Did I set up my device incorrectly or does the AIM not log the boost channel? I'm trying to see how the car is managing boost around the track..
I'd reach out to Peter Krause (the definitive expert on AIM...and a lot of other track stuff) and he'd be the one to help you. Secondly, I'm not sure that's going to make you any quicker, but it will scratch your curiosity itch.

@ProCoach Peter is one of the premier instructors for pros, not exactly for beginners, but he can lead you in so many right directions while you earn the skills needed before you would want to hire him yourself.

Last edited by Randyc151; 10-02-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:06 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your response Randy. Hope you are keeping well.
I will try and reach out to Peter on this. She felt a little underpowered during my 2nd day on Summit Point last weekend. Lately, I've been able to touch 150mph down the front straight and was stuck in the lower to mid 140's on the 2nd day. Given the boost leak I had at Pitt race and VIR, it definitely created an itch to scratch.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,341 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I'd reach out to Peter Krause (the definitive expert on AIM...and a lot of other track stuff) and he'd be the one to help you. Secondly, I'm not sure that's going to make you any quicker, but it will scratch your curiosity itch.

@ProCoach Peter is one of the premier instructors for pros, not exactly for beginners, but he can lead you in so many right directions while you earn the skills needed before you would want to hire him yourself.
Thanks, Randy!

Kong991TT, PM or, better yet, email me and let's see what can be done.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

The Garmin Catalyst data recorder setup is awesome. Be sure to talk to @ProCoach if anybody is interested in talking to somebody before they buy this thing. I caught up with Peter at VIR this week in the paddock, and he has sold a zillion of them already to his clients and beginners alike.

Last edited by Randyc151; 10-15-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
The Garmin Catalyst data recorder setup is awesome. Be sure to talk to @ProCoach if anybody is interested in talking to somebody before they buy this thing. I caught up with Peter at VIR this week in the paddock, and he has sold a zillion of them already to his clients and beginners alike.
Good to hear...

Pricey, but I suppose really not-so-much in the overall scope of tracking a Porsche!
Old 10-15-2020, 10:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,341 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Good to hear...

Pricey, but I suppose really not-so-much in the overall scope of tracking a Porsche!
It's an investment. It encourages you to do more of the things you're doing well, so you focus on the right executions and go quicker without more risk.

It's one of the less expensive options I offer, but has turned out to be one of the most effective. So, the value is proven.

The other thing is that it grows with you. As you get better, it helps more. Please reach out if I can answer questions.

It's simple, too. One of the first devices where the technology doesn't get in the way of getting good information out of it.
The following users liked this post:
pfbz (10-15-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:56 AM
Giorgos 996 Turbo S
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently visited Nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps (Belgium F1 Circuit).

Check my best lap from Spa

The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Giorgio,

Now I'm really jealous!!!

BTW you are putting us all to shame with the video skills as well. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pics too!

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car