Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
It’s a shame they are making that an issue for you. Hold your ground. It’s their issue to remedy.
Classic Porsche. There was a blemish in the CF hood, and they've been gathering the various parts to replace the hood for 6 months now...I don't expect this is going to be any easier, except now I have to worry about the window breaking anytime I drive the car while this gets sorted out. Fortunately, it's too hot to track at the moment, so the car is getting some rest.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:40 AM
miky360
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Edit: wrong thread
Old 07-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it generally difficult to get Porsche to warrant things that they should?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Is it generally difficult to get Porsche to warrant things that they should?
It's really dependent on the dealer, mostly. Some dealers think if you've ever driven your car NEAR a track, then anything wrong with the car must be from track use and the car is dead to them - basically out of warranty. Other dealers understand the owners' manual has specific instructions for how to track the car. In reality, I think dealers make less money for doing warranty repairs, so they'd hope to get you to pay retail instead. When Porsche gets involved, they are usually reasonable, but they only get involved when the dealer brings them in to the conversation. In the end, I don't actually know where the breakdown is with where I have had claim troubles, but I suspect it's that the dealer does not want to get Porsche involved more than anything else. Similarly, my dealer reports EVERYTHING to Carfax, which I don't think is right, but they do it anyway. I stay away from my local dealer unless I specifically need warranty coverage or I want service work to be done "on the record".
Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 PM
ArtF10
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have read thru this entire thread and it has motivated me to do a few mods. I had a 991.2 GT3 last year that I ended up trading for a 991.2 turbo. I wasn't using the GT3 enough to justify keeping plus I wanted the use of a backseat for the kids. I have a long commute to work so the turbo was more comfortable for the daily trip. The buckets in the GT3 were not good for daily driving. Fast forward too now. I've had the turbo for 7 months and the car has 9k miles so definitely worth the change. I went to my first hpde event with the turbo a few months back and ran it stock. After that I was hooked. I ordered a gmg exhaust, DSC V3 module, gmg springs, cup 2's, SRF fluid, and an alignment. I ran the car at another event with the kids and it ran great. I'm still a novice and have a lot to learn but really found something I really enjoy. I'm obsessed with it. I signed up for 4 more events and some private coaching as well. Next mods will be girodiscs and better pads. I have also been researching safety mods as I feel that might be in my future. My dilemma and reservation is the safety mods end up negating some of the usefulness that attracted me to the turbo to begin with. With seats, harness, roll cage my back seat becomes useless. When I get to that point the car will probably not fit the daily driver profile any more. My question is if I go down that road am I better off just going back to the gt3? I never had the gt3 on a track. Maybe if I did u probably would have kept it
Attached Images  

Last edited by ArtF10; 07-19-2019 at 08:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vtknight (07-23-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:04 PM
ArtF10
Instructor

Also added RS side skirts
Attached Images  
KONG991TT (07-23-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtF10
Also added RS side skirts
Looks great!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

The last time I was on track was over a decade ago on Shenandoah @ Summit Point in my E46 M3. Though I've got some track time under my belt, this thread is particularly interesting and useful in helping me get acquainted with my 991TT as it's got a lot more power and is AWD. It's great learning again; great discussion fellas.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 AM
ArtF10
Instructor

For those of you that run a 265/325 tire set up, does this work on stock wheels? I have lowering springs with -1.9f/-2.2r camber.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

For those of you that run a 265/325 tire set up, does this work on stock wheels? I have lowering springs with -1.9f/-2.2r camber.
Short answer, yes. Longer answer is that different years of the run had different sized wheels, and the later the year...the better those tires fit. I ran them on 20x9 front and 20x11.5 rear with great success. I had H&R on my first car and Techart on my second 991 and both worked great.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

I have read thru this entire thread and it has motivated me to do a few mods. I had a 991.2 GT3 last year that I ended up trading for a 991.2 turbo. I wasn't using the GT3 enough to justify keeping plus I wanted the use of a backseat for the kids. I have a long commute to work so the turbo was more comfortable for the daily trip. The buckets in the GT3 were not good for daily driving. Fast forward too now. I've had the turbo for 7 months and the car has 9k miles so definitely worth the change. I went to my first hpde event with the turbo a few months back and ran it stock. After that I was hooked. I ordered a gmg exhaust, DSC V3 module, gmg springs, cup 2's, SRF fluid, and an alignment. I ran the car at another event with the kids and it ran great. I'm still a novice and have a lot to learn but really found something I really enjoy. I'm obsessed with it. I signed up for 4 more events and some private coaching as well. Next mods will be girodiscs and better pads. I have also been researching safety mods as I feel that might be in my future. My dilemma and reservation is the safety mods end up negating some of the usefulness that attracted me to the turbo to begin with. With seats, harness, roll cage my back seat becomes useless. When I get to that point the car will probably not fit the daily driver profile any more. My question is if I go down that road am I better off just going back to the gt3? I never had the gt3 on a track. Maybe if I did u probably would have kept it
Don't rush into harnesses and roll cages. There is a way to pin yourself well with the stock seatbelt, and added safety from the roll bar is rather limited in this car. Enjoy the turbo as is. It's very good on track, especially with stability control off or a least in the less restrictive sport mode, which .2 edition has. If you end up doing many events per year, GT3 may make sense eventually or start with a slower car.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 AM
ArtF10
Instructor

Thanks for all the info guys. One more question, I have read mixed opinions about using a harness bar vs using a roll cage. I was contemplating just getting the seats and harnesses and using TPC harness bar. That way I can use my seats and harnesses in any future car and not hack up my interior for now. Has anyone reverted back to stock and remove the cage. Just wondering how reversible or irreversible it is. Thanks again for all the valuable info
Old 09-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the info guys. One more question, I have read mixed opinions about using a harness bar vs using a roll cage. I was contemplating just getting the seats and harnesses and using TPC harness bar. That way I can use my seats and harnesses in any future car and not hack up my interior for now. Has anyone reverted back to stock and remove the cage. Just wondering how reversible or irreversible it is. Thanks again for all the valuable info
I think you can get away with going to a harness bar instead of the half cage, and it's easier on the interior, for sure. I did remove the half cage from my last car, and I ended up only having to replace the rear piece of carpet (the piece in the very back, over the engine/under the rear window) and I took the car to an interior shop and they made me a couple of pieces of 2" x 6" trim to install that covered up the two cuts in the trim on the sides, where the seat barely didn't cover up the holes. Total cost for both interior repairs was a few hundred dollars.

If nothing else, going back to a GT3 will not add anything to your track experience. The TTS is faster, and also easier/safer to drive faster. The AWD will keep you safer if things get mixed up on track, and I'd rather see you get a second car (Macan?) for when you need rear seats more than getting a GT3 as a dedicated car. Sorry to hear you've caught the obsession! Try to avoid getting a GT2 RS if you can, but it's a difficult temptation that has brought lesser men to their knees.
phefner (09-13-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM
ArtF10
Instructor

Thanks Randy. This thread was my inspiration to keep the car and track it. The only worry without the roll bar is in the event of a rollover and the roof collapses I'll be harnessed into a seat that doesn't move. The safety mods are always in the back of my mind. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:24 AM
ArtF10
Instructor

How many track days are you guys that run Sport Cup 2's? I just finished my 6th day on this set. Still have tread but thinking the may have heat cycled out. Not quite at the wear indicator but last session was starting to get greasy. Probably have about 28 or so sessions with these

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car