Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Centerlock wheel change - easier than I expected (Photo heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 977 Posts

Did you buy the torque wrench/breaker bar combo? If not, then you’ll need a breaker bar. Porsche recommends having all four wheels off the ground when you change the wheels. I use Jack Point jack stands. You’ll also need som Molub-Alloy anti-seize paste.

Depending on your jack, you may need ramps also. I bought Race Ramps, as shown in the photos. My jack is low profile, but with the Jack Point “puck” on the jack, it wouldn’t fit under the car.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:07 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Did you buy the torque wrench/breaker bar combo? If not, then you’ll need a breaker bar. Porsche recommends having all four wheels off the ground when you change the wheels. I use Jack Point jack stands. You’ll also need som Molub-Alloy anti-seize paste.

Depending on your jack, you may need ramps also. I bought Race Ramps, as shown in the photos. My jack is low profile, but with the Jack Point “puck” on the jack, it wouldn’t fit under the car.
Yes ordered the combo torque wrench/breaker bar you recommended. What is the irwin clamp/spreader used for? To hold the break pedal while on jack stands?

Matt
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwlmd
Yes ordered the combo torque wrench/breaker bar you recommended. What is the irwin clamp/spreader used for? To hold the break pedal while on jack stands?

Matt
It’s used to depress and hold the brake pedal. I used a different brand that can be seen in the photos. This allows you to clamp the front calipers down on the rotors, which allows you to loosen or tighten the centerlock nut without rotating the wheel. You’ll also need somebody to sit in the car and hold the steering wheel while you torque the nuts on the front wheel. This keeps the wheel from turning left or right as you apply torque.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:27 PM
911tts-LA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot find this - Molub-Alloy anti-seize paste. Where can I buy this?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Old 08-04-2018, 07:43 PM
911tts-LA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Forgot to look up Suncoast.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Subscribed for future use.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I removed my summer wheels and tires today, and I installed my winter wheels and tires. I am using my OE wheels with my winter tires, and aftermarket wheels with my summer tires. This was my first time changing center lock wheels. Thank you so much for the time and effort that went into documenting the Center Lock wheel change. I just got my JackPoints and I am sort of anzious about the first time. Seeing your sequence of pics, now my anxiety is greatly reduced.

Overall, it was much easier than I expected! So giood to hear. I have read numerous threads about this, and I expected the application of the proper 440 lb./ft. of torque to be very difficult. It wasn't difficult at all; this wheel swap was as easy or easier than the 5-lug wheels that I've swapped in the past. I think the key is having the right tools. Agree, I have collected the tools you have mentioned with a few revisions:
  • RENNtorque device, eliminates the need for the 48" brealer bar and torque wrench,
  • (Sitting in my tool box): A Snap-On 1/2" X 24" conventional torque wrench and 1/2" X 24" conventional breaker bar,
  • *** TORQUE SOLUTION Center Lock Wheel Tool, compact tool to be certain the center pin is engaged. I am painting ir RED so I wont lose it.
  • All the other tools and devices you have listed below.

I used JackPoint Jackstands, and the Precision Instruments torque wrench. I had to use Race Ramps to get the jack under the car, but it was very easy. I'm not going to provide a step-by-step guide here, as there are plenty of those online. I just thought I'd give a few impressions and quite a few pics.

1. The JackPoint Jackstands were very easy to use. The 991 cabriolet body is very stiff, so jacking it from the rear jackpoint raises the front wheel also. (I sispected this would be the case, start at the rear wheels.)
2. The Precision Instruments torque wrench must be assembled correctly for clockwise (CW) tightening of the centerlock bolt, as opposed to the CCW setting.
3. It's good to have lots of rubber gloves ready for use with the Molub-Alloy aluminum paste.
4. A centering tool is VERY handy to protect your PCCB rotors.
5. This was much easier than I expected! If you've changed standard 5-lug wheels before, then you can change centerlocks.

Here are a few pics:
***TORQUE SOLUTION Center Lock Wheel Tool (Appears to be made of DELRIN)

Old 02-23-2022, 02:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Good luck! I’m sure it will go well for you. The only thing that I didn’t mention in my original post that is helpful is to have someone hold the steering wheel when breaking the centerlock nuts loose for the front wheels. It’s also helpful when tightening them. If you don’t do this, then the steering wheel tends to turn when you apply torque, making things more difficult. My wife usually helps out with this part of the procedure.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:21 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
***TORQUE SOLUTION Center Lock Wheel Tool (Appears to be made of DELRIN)

The center lock cap removal tool, on the other end from what you use to pry off the cap, has the same plastic nut shape to jiggle out the locking ring.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
The center lock cap removal tool, on the other end from what you use to pry off the cap, has the same plastic nut shape to jiggle out the locking ring.
I just look for any excuse to buy a new tool or gadget....I also painted the tool white so it would be easier to find.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:25 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts
Default PCNA Tech info

PCNA Tech info
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CL removal:install.pdf (236.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-24-2022, 08:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default This page from Walt B.

Invaluable document.....I have seen too many track support prople too lazy to change out the center lock wheels according to PCNA Service protocol seen in the post. it hurts my eyes to see it happen. I now have theJackPoint jack stands and the rest of the tools need to properly change my center lock wheels. My center lock wheels are only being changed with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-24-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:04 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 178 Posts

So I see all wheels have to be off the ground. Can you not just lift one corner at a time and change? Is there a reason behind that?
Old 02-25-2022, 09:25 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default It's because...

Großer Bruder from PCNA Service says that's the way to do it. Earlier in this string is the "science" behind PCNA Service Bulletin...it has to do with properly seating the center lock wheels.....
ZOHR Mobile Tire Shop outlines the center lock changing process in a very simple, and easy to follow process:
https://zohr.com/blog/how-to-remove-...r-lock-wheels/

CL wheels me seem to be a pain in the butt initially, but ponder these points:
  • A very high probability that your CL wheels will never be stolen,
  • Yiu will need some special tools to facilitate the change, who doesn't like special tools?
  • You'll never have to spend money and fool with wheel spacers,
  • If you decide you can't stand CL wheels, for about $3,500, in addition to the cost of a a set of 5 lug wheels, $2,000???, you can change out the Center Locks to 5 lugs.
  • Cars with CL wheels make your car somewhat rare and special. You want to be rare and special? Correct?

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-25-2022 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RadarP3C (02-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Centerlock wheel change - easier than I expected (Photo heavy)