Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

would you buy used '16 TTS with minor accident on CarFax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I was actually surprised how many people downgrade things like seats and the turbo S Wheels on the TTS...
Old 10-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Well then that's a no brainer. Accident plus lack of options = PASS.

Keep looking for the right car. In this price range, you must get what you want. The "must have" options cannot be compromised. For me they are:

18 way seats heated and vented
Heated wheel
Sport Chrono
Full leather (assuming not a TT which comes with it standard)

Good luck.
Originally Posted by QueueCumber
So true.

I wanted:
Full leather (no odd colored tacky interiors)
burmeister
PCCB
turbo S Wheels
Sport Chrono
18 Way seats
Ventilated seats
Subtle exterior color
I was actually surprised how many people downgrade things like seats and the turbo S Wheels on the TTS...

Thank you everyone for your responses.....

YES, I AGREE !! For this kind of money, there should be no compromises on the boxes you want checked
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

would you buy a CPO car with Press Vehicle option?

I started a new thread with this question but also wanted your thoughts...

I am considering a '14 TTS Cab that has the Press Vehicle option, which to my understanding means that it was used by the press to evaluate or test the vehicle. The concern of course, it that these people that used the car have no financial interest in the vehicle and therefore tend to abuse it. The dealer states it was used by Porsche executives and that the car is in excellent condition. It appears to be in excellent condition on visual inspection and it has the CPO warranty for another 2.5 years. Another consideration is the ability to sell the car down the road, as this will be an issue at that time as well.

I ran this buy a friend of mine that is in the auto industry, who buys and sells cars. He said press vehicles are typically loaded with options to impress those reviewing the cars, and he would not hesitate to buy one, providing it met all other conditions/requirements he wanted.

Your thoughts? Many thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 10:55 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS

I am considering a '14 TTS Cab that has the Press Vehicle option, which to my understanding means that it was used by the press to evaluate or test the vehicle. The concern of course, it that these people that used the car have no financial interest in the vehicle and therefore tend to abuse it. The dealer states it was used by Porsche executives and that the car is in excellent condition. It appears to be in excellent condition on visual inspection and it has the CPO warranty for another 2.5 years. Another consideration is the ability to sell the car down the road, as this will be an issue at that time as well.

I ran this buy a friend of mine that is in the auto industry, who buys and sells cars. He said press vehicles are typically loaded with options to impress those reviewing the cars, and he would not hesitate to buy one, providing it met all other conditions/requirements he wanted.

Get a PPI done from a reputable independent in the area. Have them perform a DME report to confirm that the engine has not been subjected to abuse, overrevs, etc. Also have them use a paint meter to check and see if any of the panels have been resprayed - which would indicate a collision of some kind.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
Get a PPI done from a reputable independent in the area. Have them perform a DME report to confirm that the engine has not been subjected to abuse, overrevs, etc. Also have them use a paint meter to check and see if any of the panels have been resprayed - which would indicate a collision of some kind.
thank you

I will arrange to have this done

Last edited by Elliott991TS; 11-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 PM
bitatasg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elliott,

If it helps... I just bought a 16 TTS 5800 miles original MSRP of 198k. I paid 156k. There’s tons of these cars on the market and more added every day. No need to buy one with a ding on the record.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bitatasg
Elliott,

If it helps... I just bought a 16 TTS 5800 miles original MSRP of 198k. I paid 156k. There’s tons of these cars on the market and more added every day. No need to buy one with a ding on the record.

yes, this particular car is optioned to my taste and deeply discounted from MSRP of 210k to 122k, it has 33k miles but appears to be in excellent condition, with CPO for another 2.5 yrs
Old 11-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

If you're asking the question, isn't it really also the answer? There is something about the press vehicle that is a stigma. Again, if the price is right, options, etc., I would be more comfortable than an accident on car fax.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

For what it's worth, I would have no problem buying a properly repaired TTS, as long as the pricing is right. I don't have any issues with the general stigma.

(Of course, I've never done it...always bought new....but I would not have a problem with it)
Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

the dealer told me you can only do a DME report on cars with manual transmissions. PDK cars cannot be over revved.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:18 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

the dealer told me you can only do a DME report on cars with manual transmissions. PDK cars cannot be over revved.
That's what I've read previously.

As far as press cars go, the TTS is so robust, I wouldn't worry about the car being beaten on by the press, and certainly not by executives. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and the engine was cherrry picked for the press. Still, I would leverage that it was a press car to try to get a better deal.

Definitely have it inspected for accidents and paint work on all the panels independently if it's not a Porsche Dealer. If it has a CPO, and you're buying from a Porsche dealer, have them check each panel and state that no paint or accident repairs were done on the vehicle in the sale agreement. From what I've read they can't CPO if there was paint work done to more than one panel. I would make sure there weren't repairs done to any panels and I would think you are good to go if the Carfax doesn't have any oddities listed on it. Things that scare me off are if the engine was lifted out of the vehicle, particularly multiple times. Could always be a problem they never solved.

That being said, 30k+ miles seems like a lot to me, even at that price.Typically, quite a few new to the used market TTS cars appear every week on the Porsche Pre-owner website when the dealers have time to post. Just keep looking and waiting until the right combination and price pops up and be ready to jump on it. There are plenty of used TTS cars that have been sitting around at ridiculous price points waiting for impulse buys. The good deals go quick and don't sit around.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bitatasg
Elliott,

Carafax is clean, it just has "Press Vehicle" on the build sheet. Not sure if that counts as a ding

That's what I've read previously.

As far as press cars go, the TTS is so robust, I wouldn't worry about the car being beaten on by the press, and certainly not by executives. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and the engine was cherrry picked for the press. Still, I would leverage that it was a press car to try to get a better deal.

Definitely have it inspected for accidents and paint work on all the panels independently if it's not a Porsche Dealer. If it has a CPO, and you're buying from a Porsche dealer, have them check each panel and state that no paint or accident repairs were done on the vehicle in the sale agreement. From what I've read they can't CPO if there was paint work done to more than one panel. I would make sure there weren't repairs done to any panels and I would think you are good to go if the Carfax doesn't have any oddities listed on it. Things that scare me off are if the engine was lifted out of the vehicle, particularly multiple times. Could always be a problem they never solved.

That being said, 30k+ miles seems like a lot to me, even at that price.Typically, quite a few new to the used market TTS cars appear every week on the Porsche Pre-owner website when the dealers have time to post. Just keep looking and waiting until the right combination and price pops up and be ready to jump on it. There are plenty of used TTS cars that have been sitting around at ridiculous price points waiting for impulse buys. The good deals go quick and don't sit around.
Yes, very true, many on the market to choose from

Interestingly, I spoke to a PPI company and they told me the car does not need a PPI if its a CPO Porsche, that it has passed their rigorous testing. I know there are some questions about how rigorous they actually perform the inspections, but this is coming from a company that only makes money by doing PPI's, so I tend to trust their opinion.

Originally Posted by Randyc151
For what it's worth, I would have no problem buying a properly repaired TTS, as long as the pricing is right. I don't have any issues with the general stigma.

(Of course, I've never done it...always bought new....but I would not have a problem with it)
I agree, thank you

Originally Posted by Michael_s
If you're asking the question, isn't it really also the answer? There is something about the press vehicle that is a stigma. Again, if the price is right, options, etc., I would be more comfortable than an accident on car fax.
yes, I feel the same way, for me it really depends on how much I like the car to begin with, then subtract all the negatives. With buying a used car there seems to always be some negatives, but one has to expect that or else buy new
Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Interestingly, I spoke to a PPI company and they told me the car does not need a PPI if its a CPO Porsche, that it has passed their rigorous testing. I know there are some questions about how rigorous they actually perform the inspections, but this is coming from a company that only makes money by doing PPI's, so I tend to trust their opinion.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...he-dealer.html

Your money. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

I was able to get my paint metering done for free by just asking a local shop that does my state inspections if I could drop by with the vehicle...
Old 11-03-2017, 12:08 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

This is an older thread, but the OP was buying a 911 from Porsche of Beverly Hills. Read about the problems he had, despite it being "CPO."

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

We've discussed PPIs a great deal on the 991.1 HFS thread. There is much leeway in just how rigorous a P-dealer can/will/must be when performing a CPO. Some are stalwart about it; some do the bare minimum; some it varies from car to car, depending upon the mood of the general manager that particular day.

Since you're spending $100K+ on the car, I'd say that the PPI is cheap insurance. When I bought my C4S as CPO, the inspector found that one of my side marker lights was foggy with condensation that wouldn't dry out. It hadn't been caught by the CPO.

Post-inspection, I mentioned this to the dealer, who then agreed to replace it at no charge.

Conversely, what would the dealer have done, if I'd bought the car without a PPI, had it delivered the 2,000 miles from IL to CA, and then noticed the marker light?

Would they have said, "Oh, sorry, but since it's CPO, we'll take care of it."

Or would it have been more like, "Tough."

But it is your money, so it's up to you. Either way, this discussion is starting to get me a hankering, for a Turbo...
Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...he-dealer.html

Your money. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

I was able to get my paint metering done for free by just asking a local shop that does my state inspections if I could drop by with the vehicle...
Thank you!

The dealer agreed to provide a written statement that the vehicle has been inspected and does not have any evidence of being in an accident.

I looked into a PPI but the company told me it was not necessary since it was CPO Porsche. They essentially lose money by telling me that, so I tend to trust their opinion.

Originally Posted by r00t61
This is an older thread, but the OP was buying a 911 from Porsche of Beverly Hills. Read about the problems he had, despite it being "CPO."

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

We've discussed PPIs a great deal on the 991.1 HFS thread. There is much leeway in just how rigorous a P-dealer can/will/must be when performing a CPO. Some are stalwart about it; some do the bare minimum; some it varies from car to car, depending upon the mood of the general manager that particular day.

Since you're spending $100K+ on the car, I'd say that the PPI is cheap insurance. When I bought my C4S as CPO, the inspector found that one of my side marker lights was foggy with condensation that wouldn't dry out. It hadn't been caught by the CPO.

Post-inspection, I mentioned this to the dealer, who then agreed to replace it at no charge.

Conversely, what would the dealer have done, if I'd bought the car without a PPI, had it delivered the 2,000 miles from IL to CA, and then noticed the marker light?

Would they have said, "Oh, sorry, but since it's CPO, we'll take care of it."

Or would it have been more like, "Tough."

But it is your money, so it's up to you. Either way, this discussion is starting to get me a hankering, for a Turbo...
Thank you for your comments!

I agree, CPO certification does not guarantee the car has been actually inspected. However it does provide extended warranty from Porsche, which to me is valuable.

The dealer has excellent reviews on the internet, they serviced the vehicle, did a brake service, replaced all 4 tires with P Zero's, repaired left seat bolster and left door, did a full detail.

My plan is to keep the car a year or two, then look for another newer CPO

Quick Reply: would you buy used '16 TTS with minor accident on CarFax?