Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Porsche Driving Exp in ATL?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 AM
FLLPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Driving Exp in ATL?

Has anyone done this program and what insights / tips do you have for me - want to make the most out of my time there!

...I am booked for next week in Atlanta to do the Porsche Driving Experience (Turbo for 1.5 hrs). Pretty excited about this and looking forward to seeing the limits of the Turbo in a controlled environment

Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I did it about 2 months ago prior to picking up my new Turbo. A great experience. If you are just going to drive the Turbo 1.5 hours you will for sure get your money's worth. I especially liked the "track" and wet skid pad. Skid pad really lets you get a feel for the car. Coming from a GT3, rear wheel drive, it was an real eye opener learning how differently AWD reacts. The "track" gives you a lot of different looks and enables you to exercise the car at any speed you and your instructor are comfortable with. They really took a hands off approach with only gentle coaching on finer points of the car. Especially with the exercise of all facets of the suspension and traction control system. It was a blast and I would highly recommend to anyone. It is indeed "your" time and the instructor will allow you to focus on any element of the facility that you choose. Have fun!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:40 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FLLPorsche
Has anyone done this program and what insights / tips do you have for me - want to make the most out of my time there!

...I am booked for next week in Atlanta to do the Porsche Driving Experience (Turbo for 1.5 hrs). Pretty excited about this and looking forward to seeing the limits of the Turbo in a controlled environment

Thanks
Looking forward to hearing your review. I have booked the experience in December.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 PM
msmacan
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did that about year ago. Drove Turbo S on all surfaces, instructor (fred) was awesome accommodating my questions and allow me to do whatever I asked. I used launch control about 20 times! Skid pad was interesting to feel the car... Definitively convince you to buy a car after that amazing experience.
The cafeteria wasnt impressive, museum is very nice with antique models on display.

Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by msmacan
i did that about year ago. Drove Turbo S on all surfaces, instructor (fred) was awesome accommodating my questions and allow me to do whatever I asked. I used launch control about 20 times! Skid pad was interesting to feel the car... Definitively convince you to buy a car after that amazing experience.
The cafeteria wasnt impressive, museum is very nice with antique models on display.

Enjoy!
Wow I'm excited. Especially since I already own a Turbo S.

I wonder if I should move up my session. I booked it in December as a Christmas gift from my wife.

The cafeteria isn't great, but the restaurant 356 is pretty good.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:38 PM
FLLPorsche
Advanced

Thanks, after the ride I will post a review
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I did it last week at the Los Angeles facility in a Turbo S. Great experience, fantastic instructor, first time I've done Launch Control, and that was wild. If you like 911's, you'll like them even more after this experience -- very impressive performance in these conditions -- lots of slipping / sliding, and jamming on the brakes.

Don't worry about the restaurant -- your stomach might not be in the mood after this experience. My email confirmation suggested not to eat before, and to take some motion sickness medication prior to arrival, if you are prone to this condition. Good idea to bring your spouse with you, just in case you don't feel up to driving home. My wife hung out on the balcony with other spouses and had a good time -- snapped some pictures.

The LA facility is fantastic, and the staff is great.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 PM
gled
Instructor

We just did LA. Put your wife in a car. Mine did the Turbo S and Mecan Turbo HP. No watching with her.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I did this when I first got my initial Porsche 911. It was the best thing I ever did to learn to appreciate the performance of the 911 rather than becoming addicted to the speed and power of the car. You quickly get the need for speed out of your system and learn more on how to achieve better balance and control, as well as how to avoid that possible incident in front you if it happens. Enjoy, it's a great time. Got to ride along with Hurley Haywood. An experience I'll always cherish.

Jay
Old 10-15-2017, 01:41 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3

Don't worry about the restaurant -- your stomach might not be in the mood after this experience. My email confirmation suggested not to eat before, and to take some motion sickness medication prior to arrival, if you are prone to this condition.
Good tip. Might be a good idea to take some dramamine beforehand. When I finished my session i was feeling pretty sick. Instructor said 1 in 4 people get sick. I fly jets for a living and have never had motion sickness in my life. Yet lapping that twisty tight end of the Atlanta track had me on the verge of puking. My wife and I skipped the post driving meal.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 AM
FLLPorsche
Advanced

I went yesterday and in short it was great!

First the facility is beautiful, the mini-museum is a good way to kill 10 minutes and then watching the track from above is all a good appetizer. You then meet your instructor and you talk about what you want to accomplish for the day. They really make it about understanding your goals are and accommodating them. My instructor (shout out to Tyler Fling who was really great!!) was soft spoken, very laid-back, easy going and impossible to scare. He can dial it up from constant input to just high level feedback (I choose the constant input). I did the TT package and ended up with a TTS (could not really feel the difference between that and my daily drive TT). THere are 4 main parts, the Track, which is short but very technical in the back part, the launch control / slalom area; the kick plate and the polished concrete circle. You driver coach lets you dictate how much time you spend in each section and will provide super useful tidbits along the way.

The Track - is super fun but a little short. It would be better if it was a little longer and there were more big sweeping turns. But plenty to learn on and your instructor can guide you on how to glide the car around as opposed to fighting it, you wont become Mario Andretti in a day but you will definitely pick up a lot of pointers. Also, they are very good about allowing faster cars to pass so you never get caught behind someone (at least not for that long).
THe Kick Plate - the first time it throws you as you dont know what to expect but round 2 you catch the spin and by round 3 you are pretty much an expert
Polished Concrete - wish I had spent a little more time here, in the turbo its easy to catch the slide, i would have spent more time seeing if I could induce and keep a power slide around the whole circle...maybe next time
Slalom / Launch Control - always wanted to do a slalom course and you really learn about cadence and rhythm there, launch control - have had my brand new TT for 2 months and never did it so was good to finally try, now that i know it is completely safe and wont kill my car...fun might ensue

Overall a fun experience and something for the Porsche enthusiast

A few things to bear in mind:
1) knowing now I might have gone for a different package that would have exposed me to cars other than just the TT, maybe getting a chance at a GT3 or GT3 RS would have been fun. 90 minutes is a long time in just one car, if you are going anyway get the chance to drive something that you might not otherwise get a chance to drive

2) for those of you who have severe back problems like me...do not sit on a plane for 3 hours in a middle seat in coach, land, go straight to the track and then drive for 90 minutes - it will detract from the fun factor. make sure to leave enough time between your flight and your drive time to unwind your back. I was already uncomfortable from the flight but getting in the car right away I could feel my back tightening up and needed a break by the 45 minute mark and then could not drive the full 90 minutes...be smart, leave time between your flight and your drive time to make the most of it

One take away from the day - the TT is an incredible car and as a mere mortal not sure I will be able to ever appreciate its full capacity but it was fun to give it a try in a safe and controlled environment...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Exp in ATL?