Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

That's a big win for Turbo - it's almost as fast on this track, even though GT-R is on a "special" tires, but it's also so much more comfortable off the track. I totally did not expect Turbo to finish #3 in this comparison because it's way too comfortable and civilized for their taste (they seem to favor loud and harsh cars in this test). I guess Randy convinced them that it's great :-)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
That's a big win for Turbo - it's almost as fast on this track, even though GT-R is on a "special" tires, but it's also so much more comfortable off the track. I totally did not expect Turbo to finish #3 in this comparison because it's way too comfortable and civilized for their taste (they seem to favor loud and harsh cars in this test). I guess Randy convinced them that it's great :-)

Are the P zero Corsas considered special? That's what the Turbo said. Certainly better than the regular P Zero.

Maybe the Trofeo R is special.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I haven't read or watched the MT Best Driver's car yet but nice to see the Turbo up there. In my mind, I basically cross off cars like the 488 since any car in the unobtainable category (price and availability) doesn't really count for me, even if it deserves its place at the top. And ouch for the 570, behind the Lexus!

One editor said he only picked 488 over Turbo S due to sound.

I don't understand the Turbo's reputation as a boring car. It's not as reflexive as a GT3 but it's a legitimate sports car and hilarious fun. Well done, Porsche!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
Are the P zero Corsas considered special? That's what the Turbo said. Certainly better than the regular P Zero.

Maybe the Trofeo R is special.
P Zero Corsa are the same level as Sport Cup 2 tires that come on GT3 and RS, maybe slightly better, and are a step up from regular P-zeros. GT-R was on, as they call them, "Corvette spec" Sport Cup 2 tires, which are another step up, despite the same naming, and are comparable to Trofeo R tires.

The same naming (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2) used for two different tires is confusing, but once you see/touch the tires, they are very different:

Corvette spec (almost no tread grooves, softer rubber, square sidewalls and shoulders):

Normal sport cup 2 tire:
Old 09-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
One editor said he only picked 488 over Turbo S due to sound.

I don't understand the Turbo's reputation as a boring car. It's not as reflexive as a GT3 but it's a legitimate sports car and hilarious fun. Well done, Porsche!
I agree. I believe a big part of it is self fulfilling prophecy. If people say that it's boring and clinical, then you go into it with a biased view and can easily convince yourself that it's true, even though it's not. No doubt it's boring for some, but to me it's an exciting car.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think these track tests are just hype to pump up the latest model on the market. AMG is paying for all the new ads around the media.
Competitors choose to just upgrade without all that. Mercedes knows how to make heavy fast cars. Now AMG puts it all into a lighter package.
I love the way Porsche does it too!!
What I'm trying to say is I want them all.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
I think these track tests are just hype to pump up the latest model on the market. AMG is paying for all the new ads around the media.
Competitors choose to just upgrade without all that. Mercedes knows how to make heavy fast cars. Now AMG puts it all into a lighter package.
I love the way Porsche does it too!!
What I'm trying to say is I want them all.
I'm tempted by a ZL1 1LE... but I think a 720S will blow the doors off of a 488.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Odo3
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

The Turbo S is the best all round sports car in the world. Unfortunately it continues to get penalized for being too capable, with limits well beyond the abilities of most journalists. Unlike the Turbo S, most of the other cars in the test are not suitable for a road trip and I'll bet their maintenance bills after track time are expensive. Sure like to see the Turbo S's time with the same tires as the Merc GT R.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Odo3
The Turbo S is the best all round sports car in the world. Unfortunately it continues to get penalized for being too capable, with limits well beyond the abilities of most journalists. Unlike the Turbo S, most of the other cars in the test are not suitable for a road trip and I'll bet their maintenance bills after track time are expensive. Sure like to see the Turbo S's time with the same tires as the Merc GT R.
I'm with you but the Merc is doing it with 2WD. That is with an odd long wheel base etc. I never knew AMG was so capable. I believe this may be a start of an all out affordable Supercar world war!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
I'm with you but the Merc is doing it with 2WD. That is with an odd long wheel base etc. I never knew AMG was so capable. I believe this may be a start of an all out affordable Supercar world war!
The GT's wheel base is 103.5 vs 96.5, so yes, longer.

Realize though that the AMG is - effectively - a mid-engine design. In fact, arguably, is "more" mid-engine than a 'traditional' mid-engine (e.g. 488, 981, Elise etc.) because both the engine and gearbox are inside the wheel base.)

Thus both the Pinocchio nose and the stellar handling.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Originally Posted by worf928
The GT's wheel base is 103.5 vs 96.5, so yes, longer.

Realize though that the AMG is - effectively - a mid-engine design. In fact, arguably, is "more" mid-engine than a 'traditional' mid-engine (e.g. 488, 981, Elise etc.) because both the engine and gearbox are inside the wheel base.)

Thus both the Pinocchio nose and the stellar handling.
All of them, the C7, 991, 488, 720 etc all are close to mid-engined to one extent or another. I believe 'torque' is the true measure that gets you around a track faster. That means when it comes on apposed to having it when the cams kick in or when the turbos are at speed.
I think that's why the 1LE does so well (plus monster size tires) around that track. It's nose heavy, heavy in general, but that 'torque grunt' is what makes the car a star.
Mercedes has more cylinders, liters than the 991 so the torque is almost always there.
The 991's are superior in ride comfort. Those sticky tires the others are using make allot of noise. God forbid they are runflats tires...the ride/noise sucks.
The 991's are superior for all around driving on public roads. If Porsche feels like pushing all the competitors aside only they know how to do it best.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

^ Also, with the Turbo S, you can explode out of corners like no other car. You can lay on the throttle way earlier than the high powered front engine rwd cars. With the rear weight bias, high amount of torque and rear steering, its corner exit abilities (among others) are supernatural.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

It's either "Hey Look at Me" AMG

or

"I love driving this car!!!" Turbo S

Turbo S for me all day long and twice on Sunday!!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Drag race shows what you should buy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMG GTS or 991 TTS/TT ?