Sponsored by: Road Spy

Build Stages Summary Table - Need Your Help

Old 10-05-2021, 10:27 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Build Stages Summary Table - Need Your Help

Hi guys,
I'm trying to summarize my research on the different stages and have put together a first pass draft of a summary table for the different stages. I need your input to build this out properly, but I think once done it will be a nice quick reference tool for all of us, especially newbies. Please take a look and send me your input and I will build this out and publish updates as the data gets more refined. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by gbakerge; 10-05-2021 at 10:30 PM. Reason: error
The following users liked this post:
Medakiss (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 12:33 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 629 Posts

I paid a lot more for my Champion Intercoolers. I guess inlet pipes, plenums and Ypipes don’t figure into this table? I would think they are essential bolton’s, especially at stage 4 and above if you expect to make the power.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:35 AM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Not too sure about the stage numbers, but the parts are definitely correct. I'd also add in a Y pipe like mentioned above.

We have basically everything you'd need except turbos and exhaust.

JB4, Intercoolers, Y pipe with methanol bung provisions, Methanol kit with JB4 integration and safeties.

-Payam
Old 10-06-2021, 08:35 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Originally Posted by BMS
Not too sure about the stage numbers, but the parts are definitely correct. I'd also add in a Y pipe like mentioned above.

We have basically everything you'd need except turbos and exhaust.

JB4, Intercoolers, Y pipe with methanol bung provisions, Methanol kit with JB4 integration and safeties.

-Payam
Thanks for the feedback, if you guys have some better hp estimates and costs, happy to add those in as well for these mods.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:49 AM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 247 Posts

I like your chart. This is my 2nd day on Stage One from Sam & Cobb. Love it!
Old 10-06-2021, 12:43 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd add the FVD tune and Europipe exhausts to the lists. I'm not sure the hp numbers are additive in the linear fashion you suggest - experts will chime in.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:14 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Hi guys. Honestly I think it would be a lot easier to just break down the stages based on the basics. Then you can consult to see who you are comfortable working with on the tuning and which exact components you’re happy with. The different components vary on price and sometimes also in performance.

Calibration can also really depend on octane, how aggressive the car is pushed and how that group of components work together. My suggestion is always to set a goal and a budget. Get through the stages in the best order possible so you don’t have to redo anything. Most importantly so you’re having fun. There are also a lot of little components in between like for example headers or intake also

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 10-06-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Pb Pedis (10-07-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 01:35 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi guys. Honestly I think it would be a lot easier to just break down the stages based on the basics. Then you can consult to see who you are comfortable working with on the tuning and which exact components you’re happy with. The different components vary on price and sometimes also in performance.

Calibration can also really depend on octane, how aggressive the car is pushed and how that group of components work together. My suggestion is always to set a goal and a budget. Get through the stages in the best order possible so you don’t have to redo anything. Most importantly so you’re having fun. There are also a lot of little components in between like for example headers or intake also
Thanks Sam, not sure I follow you yet. Are you suggesting to do a separate table for each stage?

I am embarking down this path as a new 991.2 TT owner and I want to make sure I know my options before going head first down the slippery slope!
Old 10-06-2021, 02:41 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I totally get it and most people on here know I have a funny dictation language with Siri lol.

Basically what I’m saying is you should break down the stages as intended by component states which allow for greater levels of performance. The costs and individual components as well as specific power levels or achievements can vary. Those have to do with Tuning, octane and the marriage of any given group of parts. How they work together And how much needs to be pushed on Tuning to extract send performance. In general they are all pretty similar but when you start getting into years of development with this platform and certain performance landmarks…There are differences that start to stand out. As far as levels of efficiency/performance. And you can make a stage two car run stronger than a stage three car but that doesn’t mean it’s better or consistent. Also exhaust diameter, intercooler flow and other ancillary components that have to do with temperature control, pressure drops and everything else really can start to vary. That’s why I say stages, budget and Tuning are critical. Once you have someone you’re comfortable with to take you down that path based on experience and results it’s much easier than grabbing information that sometimes can be out of context or not with great detail. This is all just my opinion of course.
Pb Pedis (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 03:43 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

How much power can we build before having to get into the bottom end (rods, pistons, etc) and built trans?
Old 10-07-2021, 03:50 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It depends on your luck and how far you are willing to push. We have a few cars at 1000wheel. One at 1070 bent rods. We pushed this one intentionally to learn. Luckily with careful tuning it wasn't catastrophic. That being said we have seen issues at 850 wheel as well. For teh majority these cars are quite strong. We feel with enough attention to detail 800-900wheel can be achieved with minimal risk. Hundreds of cars are in that range and several even higher.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
Medakiss (10-07-2021), Pb Pedis (10-07-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 01:26 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
It depends on your luck and how far you are willing to push. We have a few cars at 1000wheel. One at 1070 bent rods. We pushed this one intentionally to learn. Luckily with careful tuning it wasn't catastrophic. That being said we have seen issues at 850 wheel as well. For teh majority these cars are quite strong. We feel with enough attention to detail 800-900wheel can be achieved with minimal risk. Hundreds of cars are in that range and several even higher.
The guru has spoken, thank you Sam!
Old 10-10-2021, 09:55 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Although the figures are not perfect, hopefully this is in the ballpark for a quick reference guide. I have updated the table based on the feedback provided. My biggest question is whether the hp figures are within a fair range. Is 40 hp gain a fair estimate for a high flow exhaust? Is 20 hp gain a fair estimate for intercoolers? Etc etc. Input here is welcome.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:42 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Although the figures are not perfect, hopefully this is in the ballpark for a quick reference guide. I have updated the table based on the feedback provided. My biggest question is whether the hp figures are within a fair range. Is 40 hp gain a fair estimate for a high flow exhaust? Is 20 hp gain a fair estimate for intercoolers? Etc etc. Input here is welcome.

@SamboTT@ByDesign is a top provider of all of your listed categories. He can supply the parts at a great price and integrate the tune to match each upgrade in stage.

You will not add Meth for $500. Have you thought about labor or parts only ?
Old 10-10-2021, 02:48 PM
gbakerge
Racer

I was trying to capture parts only as many on here work on their cars themselves. Let me know if you have a better estimate on the Methanol parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Stages Summary Table - Need Your Help