Porsche Car Connect

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Porsche Car Connect

Greetings,

Curious about any feedback in general and with both the Apple and Android versions.

Thanks!

G.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

Apple car connect works great in my 17', having said that my phone is usually turned off when I drive the Porsche, really don't want or need to be bothered, and they can live without me for a few hours.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hcvone
Apple car connect works great in my 17', having said that my phone is usually turned off when I drive the Porsche, really don't want or need to be bothered, and they can live without me for a few hours.
Thanks- are you speaking of Apple CarPlay or Apple Car Connect (the IOS/Android App)? If the latter, curious how you would use while you drive (though you don't specifically).

<<really don't want or need to be bothered>>

Wishful thinking for me

Best,

G.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:17 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't remember the details anymore but I found the functionality limited enough that I uninstalled the app. (Apple FWIW)

I found it quite a mess that Porsche ended up creating a system that requires three separate subscription based services with unrelated accounts to be needed to get the cars fully connected. It would be better received if Porsche just bundled them as one take-it-or-leave-it "service" and pay the fees to all three companies for everyone that opts in.

I frequently use the phone over Porsche's standard wireless Bluetooth setup and use CarPlay once in a while. I have been pleased with the Bluetooth and have nothing but good impressions on how that works. CarPlay is good most of the time, once in a while the few supported apps are buggy or take several minutes to load, and even after all these years voice recognition (Siri) for anything beyond calling someone in your contact list is pretty unreliable. I end up using the phone in hand and/or pulling over more than I'd like to. On the plus side I'd expect minor updates and improvements will make it into CarPlay over the next few years. And I believe voice recognition processing is on Apple's servers so that should improve over the long term.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I can't remember the details anymore but I found the functionality limited enough that I uninstalled the app. (Apple FWIW)

I found it quite a mess that Porsche ended up creating a system that requires three separate subscription based services with unrelated accounts to be needed to get the cars fully connected. It would be better received if Porsche just bundled them as one take-it-or-leave-it "service" and pay the fees to all three companies for everyone that opts in.

I frequently use the phone over Porsche's standard wireless Bluetooth setup and use CarPlay once in a while. I have been pleased with the Bluetooth and have nothing but good impressions on how that works. CarPlay is good most of the time, once in a while the few supported apps are buggy or take several minutes to load, and even after all these years voice recognition (Siri) for anything beyond calling someone in your contact list is pretty unreliable. I end up using the phone in hand and/or pulling over more than I'd like to. On the plus side I'd expect minor updates and improvements will make it into CarPlay over the next few years. And I believe voice recognition processing is on Apple's servers so that should improve over the long term.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up so comprehensively. Though I saw three different types of service, I didn't realize that they were three different subscriptions residing in one App- never mind the need to do so through three unrelated accounts. Completely agree with your comment to offer as one bundle or at least tiers of products within a bundle and definitely only one account.

While I love the concept of CarPlay, the implementation seems a bit clunky- particularly how it interacts with other PCM functions and the lack of controls from the steering column multi-function display. Somehow, it'd be great if there was more cross-over in the Phone, Music and Maps functions.

Best,

G.

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect