Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

911 Turbo Cabriolet reviews?? Worth the Extra Cash???

Old 08-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts
Default 911 Turbo Cabriolet reviews?? Worth the Extra Cash???

The 991 top is the best ever offered in a 911. It looks better than previous generations with the top closed, and it offers a much quieter interior. It's a fantastic car. Opening or closing the top takes 13 seconds, if I recall correctly. Get the cabrio....
Old 08-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

If you like a cabrio, and not everyone does, there is zero reason beyond the extra cost to avoid it. The cab is a very stiff car, and carries only a small weight penalty. Far less of a penalty than the turbo can overcome. The 991 isn't a quiet car and the cab only introduces a little extra noise. It's not quite as classic / clean looking as the coupe but it still looks damn good.

You cannot open / close with the fob from the factory, but the Smart Top Controller fixes that for a very reasonable price.

I would only have my 911 with top if I was getting something like a GT3.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

We love our cab. I find the noise increase to not actually be an increase. When riding in my friends coupe you here move exhaust note than in my car however I get more road noise than he gets. Exact same car so I am guessing the actual decibel level is close.

As mentioned no open or close from fob but the action is fast and I do think 13 seconds is correct. Easy to do at a stop sign or light no problem.

I think with the top up it looks just great, seems they changed the rake a bit on the 991 to look closer to the coupe.

We love ours.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by triplekg
Id built a million configurations online and still can't decide. Last night my wife say - you're stupid if you don't get a convertible . Last 3 cars been Rag Top and I really enjoy driving with the top off...
I think you answered your own question here. You will be disappointed without a cab in your life.

I've never seen a Turbo Convertible in person - Does the convertible take away from the looks???
I think most people would agree the coupes are better looking. With the 991, Porsche payed close attention to the lines of the cab, and worked to as closely mimic the coupe lines as possible. Also, the top is really closer to a hard top than anything else. Really impressed with the top on my 991 cab.

Does it hinder the performance at all??
Yes, slightly. I can't imagine you'd notice it much in the real world with a Turbo. In my Carrera S, it's well worth the couple tenths of a second hit in the 0-60 time to be topless.

Is the top quick to go up and down and can you do it from Key fob?
Not in the US, but there is a simple plug and play aftermarket option for this made by http://mods4cars.com

Also, the top is quick as previously mentioned. And, you can operate it up to a bit over 30 mph, so easy to pull off at a stoplight. . .even if the light changes on you mid operation.

Does going cabriolet affect resale value either way????
Doesn't seem to on the 991. At least not yet. In the 991 range, they still go for a slight premium over a coupe. . .but I suspect this is simply because the original price of the cab was higher. When I looked at 993s, the cabs were much cheaper, but I'm not sure how that plays into the equation here. Others on here may have more insight on this in the long run.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you have some great suntan lotions picked out as I have a serious farmers tan going! I don't have the turbo, the 911s cabriolet, and drive more with the top down than up. With the top up, it is very quiet and enjoyable.

I added the smart top controller and love it! you can install yourself and the top maybe takes 8 seconds to put up or down. it is annoying to have to hold the up or down button for the top the whole time, which is why the smart top is a great addition.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:05 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 723 Posts

Cab can be fun at any speed, put some winter tires late in the year and drive all year long, depend on how cold you get and how much snow. The top holds up to heat and noise fairly well. I take mine to the track and don’t fall behind other coupes.

I second that a hardtop would have to be a GT3, otherwise cabriolet all the way.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder though... do you need all the power of the turbo? my 2017 S is stupid fast... I couldn't imagine another 120hp and 100 torque :/
Old 08-12-2017, 03:27 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the things that sets the convertible apart is the two toned color (top/bottom) of the car. That gives you a distinction coupes cannot achieve.

If, however, you chose black paint and a black top, then, your distinction is gone, and, for all intents and purposes, you're going to look very coupe like. Which is fine , if that's what your aiming for.

Except, if you want to look like a coupe and having the top down is not a driving force for you, then logic suggests you should save some money and get yourself a coupe. There's the crux: is the top down something you want to experience on a regular basis?

I don't completely understand why your wife says you are stupid if you don't get a convertible. But, I'm lead to believe, firstly, she seems more convertible inclined than you and, secondly, would be a willing passenger with the top down. If all that's true, then consider yourself fortunate; because, it's a prerequisite to experiencing the top down on a regular basis. And besides, to me, a convertible going down the road, top down, never looks quite right without a female passenger sitting in the right seat. You can get away with it top up.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Cabriolet all the way! My 991.2 TTS is my first drop top and I LOVE it!

While it appears to be a soft top, there are magnesium plates under the fabric allowing it the benefit of a coupe with respect to lower noise and enhanced profile with top.

It goes up and down very quickly at up to 35 mph. I also love the built in wind deflector for the back seat. While I never use it, it's very well integrated into the design.

The Smart Top is a must have. Relatively inexpensive and easy to install - it allows you to open/close with the key fob. It also allows you to simple hit the up or down switch when you're in the car - where you need to hold it during the entire up or down operation without it.

Visibility has not been an issue, but I do recommend adding Lane Change Assist.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

If you like having a Cab, and I certainly do, then why ask...
Visibility is definitely impaired but the Lane Change Assist option pretty much negates.
As for how much power is enough..... there's never enough.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default to Cab to not to Cab, that is the question

Ever since I was 14 YO I wanted a 911 Turbo Coupe, don't most of us. Getting a much more practical Cayenne S (New England weather) came first. 2 months ago I started looking long and hard for that 911 Turbo Coupe until I rented a 2017 911 Carrera 4S Cab for a couple of days. I never considered a coupe until then. The new 991 Cabs have three magnesium plates that when unfolded retains the exact profile of the coupe with no "rib" lines. The interior finish of the Cab looks just like a Coupe interior, the fit and finish is beautiful and it is quiet. Long story short, last week I bought a very low mileage 2016 911 Turbo Cab! I cannot wait for it to arrive (I will share pics). I am a Harley rider, my wife said the Cab was as much if not more fun than being in the back of our bike except it was safer. My advice, Buy the Cab!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I love my 991.1 GTS cab. I live in the perfect climate for top-down driving - by the beach in So Cal - and I drive with the top down 75% or more of the time. I have been very impressed with how quiet the ride is with the top up. The Smart Top is an awesome addition. FYI Smart Top users, Mod4Cars recently updated the Smart Top to include some new features. Previously, the default window up setting for the Smart Top raised both the front and back windows. The default factory window setting was with the front windows up only. I asked Smart Top if they could add the factory default option and they did! You can download the update at mod4cars.com. Something else I love about top-down driving - when I push my car, I love hearing the scream of the magnificent 3.8 NA flat six engine and I love the synthetic smell emanating from the engine and the wheels.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:32 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

I called the dealer today - order is locked in as a coupe so this thread is pretty much moot!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I called the dealer today - order is locked in as a coupe so this thread is pretty much moot!
If it is locked because you want the coupe, then this is awesome and congratulations!

If you really want the cab, I'd press them to give you a different allocation. They should be able to sell the coupe to someone else and I would anticipate you could get a turbo cab allocation with no problem.

No matter which you end up with, be sure at this point it's the one YOU want. Otherwise you'll be driving one of the best coupes in the world and potentially regret it.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:26 PM
triplekg
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
If it is locked because you want the coupe, then this is awesome and congratulations!

If you really want the cab, I'd press them to give you a different allocation. They should be able to sell the coupe to someone else and I would anticipate you could get a turbo cab allocation with no problem.

No matter which you end up with, be sure at this point it's the one YOU want. Otherwise you'll be driving one of the best coupes in the world and potentially regret it.
I wanted the coupe all the way - Wife wanted the convertible. I win lol

The Dealer today pretty much put an end to any potential conflict! lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 Turbo Cabriolet reviews?? Worth the Extra Cash???