Sponsored by: Road Spy

Am I over reacting???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Am I over reacting???

Do the forward seat motor in my 17' TTS went out. Sucks but it is what it is. So my dealer had to order a whole new bracket assembly to fix the problem. Apparently on the 17' when replacing this bracket, there is a part of the interior/leather that needs to be "re-fitted". Still fine with that.

I know this as my service advisor called me to tell me the car wouldn't be ready the same day as it needed to go to their upholsterer. Fine.

As we were getting of the phone he said the car was being picked up shortly and he would call me when it got back. Ummmmmmm.....huh.

Apparently they don't have anyone in house to complete the job so they "sub-contract" to a shop that's a good 6 - 7 miles away and have someone from their shop pick up the car, take it back to their shop and return it. What the what??

1) I was utterly shocked that they didn't inform me that the car would have to leave the dealership to complete the work.

2) Someone other than a dealer employee would be driving the car around town weather it was only to and from or not.

I asked them if they could just send the seat and not the car for the upholstery repair. He said yes. If you could do that, why send the whole car??

I am extremely particular about my cars. Always have been. I don't really even like valet's parking it but if i can see the car that's fine. What if it was a 918 Spyder, would they have not said anything to the owner that the car would have to go to another shop? All i know is that our cars are amazing, and the heritage of the performance speaks for itself. I don't know many people that given the opportunity wouldn't Ferris Bueller the car between stops. I used to work for a leasing company and of course did the same.

Should the dealer have told me that the car would be collected/driven but a subcontracted company??

Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Millwallmart
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also be uncomfortable with that tbh. If the chair could've gone without the car then it should have done. I wouldn't hold out for being understood though and expect a few eyebrows if you complain. The truth is that most people that work on our cars have never, and prob only will never, own such a product. My car means a little more to me than I care for people to know because of the whole 'it's just a piece of metal' reply. The fact is it's my f*ckin piece of metal that I worked my a$$ of to own. NO can truly live up to the expectations I have when caring for my cars, it is what it is...
Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Millwallmart
I'd also be uncomfortable with that tbh. If the chair could've gone without the car then it should have done. I wouldn't hold out for being understood though and expect a few eyebrows if you complain. The truth is that most people that work on our cars have never, and prob only will never, own such a product. My car means a little more to me than I care for people to know because of the whole 'it's just a piece of metal' reply. The fact is it's my f*ckin piece of metal that I worked my a$$ of to own. NO can truly live up to the expectations I have when caring for my cars, it is what it is...
Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dc7391
Do the forward seat motor in my 17' TTS went out. Sucks but it is what it is. So my dealer had to order a whole new bracket assembly to fix the problem. Apparently on the 17' when replacing this bracket, there is a part of the interior/leather that needs to be "re-fitted". Still fine with that.

I know this as my service advisor called me to tell me the car wouldn't be ready the same day as it needed to go to their upholsterer. Fine.

As we were getting of the phone he said the car was being picked up shortly and he would call me when it got back. Ummmmmmm.....huh.

Apparently they don't have anyone in house to complete the job so they "sub-contract" to a shop that's a good 6 - 7 miles away and have someone from their shop pick up the car, take it back to their shop and return it. What the what??

1) I was utterly shocked that they didn't inform me that the car would have to leave the dealership to complete the work.

2) Someone other than a dealer employee would be driving the car around town weather it was only to and from or not.

I asked them if they could just send the seat and not the car for the upholstery repair. He said yes. If you could do that, why send the whole car??

I am extremely particular about my cars. Always have been. I don't really even like valet's parking it but if i can see the car that's fine. What if it was a 918 Spyder, would they have not said anything to the owner that the car would have to go to another shop? All i know is that our cars are amazing, and the heritage of the performance speaks for itself. I don't know many people that given the opportunity wouldn't Ferris Bueller the car between stops. I used to work for a leasing company and of course did the same.

Should the dealer have told me that the car would be collected/driven but a subcontracted company??

I'd be a little more than upset and would demand that I drive the car back and forth. People don't care about our cars or the hard work it took to afford one.

I've become friends with the shop Forman at the dealership that does my work. The service advisor gets mad at me when I tell him that the Forman is the only person I want to work on my car. He's a great tech and a true car guy so the adviser can get mad all he wants lol.

I have a 17 tts cab so only have had two oil changes, one warranty claim and an update done.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:52 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this at Newport Porsche? They've serviced all of my 911s and never had any issues (despite some of my cars having issues ;-))...
Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Not overreacting at all. I don't want anyone driving my car that I don't know about and agree with beforehand. My beloved TTS that I traded after it was rear ended is the perfect example. The Porsche approved repair facility let the PPF installer (subcontracted out) drive it to a different area to install and "somehow" the headlight "fell out" while they were moving it.
Nope!
I now make it perfectly clear that if I order/buy a new one, my salesman and my established service rep are the only two that can drive it to get all necessities taken care of before I take possession. My established rep is only one to drive it when its time for maintenance. They do look at me sideways when I make them agree, but they do it or I go elsewhere. Most are very willing to make you happy.
I have HORROR stories of my previous R8 waiting on a recall item at the dealership; and if I told you the condition I found it in on a surprise check you wouldn't believe me. Just imagine tree sap and coffee cup rings and you can get the gist.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

No one drives the freaking car. That's my rule. They need to move it, they can pay to flatbed it but absolutely no one drives the car for any reason. I do all my own work and therefore I don't use dealers, but the ONE exception to that would be a tech doing a test drive.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:33 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

6-7 miles...oh the horror
Trust the shop...trust their judgement
Example, my Porsche shop outsources the alignment
It's probably 8 miles, BFD
Old 08-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Millwallmart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
I'm afraid I feel differently about my cars, it's a similar emotion to someone touching my woman- sad but true!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I let my P dealer drive my car. I'm pretty close with the techs and only a handful of guys touch it... but I certainly understand not allowing it. There was a guy on Long Island that took his car to a P dealer and the techs recorded beating on it and posted it to Facebook (or similar) and he saw it.

BTW, what P shop can't do an alignment? That seems weird to me.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Catorce
Banned

Uh, no. First off, a tech doesn't drive the car to the alignment shop usually. It's most likely the runner / gopher / car wash kid and quite frankly he's probably not to be trusted.

BTW, what car do you own?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 PM
dc7391
Advanced

Thats your opinion. To me (and clearly apparently most) it IS a BFD. They didn't advise me that the car would have to leave the dealership and be driven by another vendor/company. So yea i do question their judgement, and the person who's doing the driving.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Everyone that drives these cars (non-owners) messes with them as much as they possible can get away with. Everyone loves to faaaack with a car like this. Everyone! I don't let anyone drive my car unless I am with them. If you are really rich and have 29 cars, I get it -- it's no big deal. Most of us don't want our cars messed with. If someone drives your car, they will mess with it as much as they think they can get away with. Every time.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Catorce
Banned

^agreed 100000%
Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Uh, no. First off, a tech doesn't drive the car to the alignment shop usually. It's most likely the runner / gopher / car wash kid and quite frankly he's probably not to be trusted.

BTW, what car do you own?
I had a 997 4s
I now have an AMG GT S
The Porsche shop that outsources the alignment down the street from them is an Indy, 6 years I took the Porsche there and it was always fine.

I recently had a drivers seat recall done, afterwords to test they had to go for a drive.
I recently had an oil change done and afterwords got a message too much oil... so I took it back and they had to take out a tiny bit of oil, they then drove it a bit to make sure the message when away...
It turns out that the oil level sensor is very sensitive, as I found threads about it online.
Seems like necessary part of the job.
I don't valet my cars though, that seems to be more in line with the thinking on this topic.

Quick Reply: Am I over reacting???