Position of 911 GTS and 911 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 PM
evo2point0
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Position of 911 GTS and 911 Turbo S

Hi folks.

I've been watching (YouTube) and reading several reviews of 991.2 Carrera GTS lately.

My understanding is...

1. Entire 911 line of cars (718 for that matter), except GT3 (and it's RS variant) are turbo charged now.

2. Almost every reviewer of 991.2 Carrera GTS says "Carrera GTS is the car which fills the gap between Carrera S and GT3".

3. 991.2 Carrera GTS is now turbo charged while 991.2 GT3 is still NA.

I must have been mistaken but I thought Turbo (and Turbo S) was the model for people who find GT3 (and GT3RS) too hardcore for DD and want a car just as fast but comfortable for DD as well.

If #2 above is Porsche's intention, where does 911 Turbo (and S) positioned ?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evo2point0
Hi folks.

I've been watching (YouTube) and reading several reviews of 991.2 Carrera GTS lately.

My understanding is...

1. Entire 911 line of cars (718 for that matter), except GT3 (and it's RS variant) are turbo charged now.

2. Almost every reviewer of 991.2 Carrera GTS says "Carrera GTS is the car which fills the gap between Carrera S and GT3".

3. 991.2 Carrera GTS is now turbo charged while 991.2 GT3 is still NA.

I must have been mistaken but I thought Turbo (and Turbo S) was the model for people who find GT3 (and GT3RS) too hardcore for DD and want a car just as fast but comfortable for DD as well.

If #2 above is Porsche's intention, where does 911 Turbo (and S) positioned ?
Above gt3
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (02-11-2021)
Old 07-30-2017, 12:02 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

They're probably referring to MSRP, assuming no ADMs and that perhaps the GTS is a little edgier with standard options than a CS but not quite as edgy as the GT3.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:36 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the other forum I'm seeing all these GTS build threads and MSRP's around $160K and wondering at that price why a GTS and not the TT? To each his own but I don't get it. I did before everything went boosted but now now.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM
medacus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's necessarily a price thing. To me they are just very different cars. The turbo has always been the epitome of the line while the gt3 is a track focused car you can also drive on the street. For me the gt3 was just too aggressive both in looks and in character. I'd drive the turbo to a meeting but the gt3 is just a tad too much in my opinion. Also with two young kids I have the need to throw them in the back on occasion.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
In the other forum I'm seeing all these GTS build threads and MSRP's around $160K and wondering at that price why a GTS and not the TT? To each his own but I don't get it. I did before everything went boosted but now now.
Can't get a Turbo in a Targa, MT, or RWD, or some combination of the 3 so some are willing to pay for such options. But I hear you if options are similar. Would rather have a cpo Turbo myself at that point.
catdog2 (02-11-2021)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:00 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Can't get a Turbo in a Targa, MT, or RWD, or some combination of the 3 so some are willing to pay for such options. But I hear you if options are similar. Would rather have a cpo Turbo myself at that point.
I wanted a fast Targa, so it was a GTS for me, price was $191,000 CDN but it is highly optioned. I could have got a Turbo for a few thousand more, but I like my Targa GTS in carmine red with black accents and the exhaust sounds really good.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Millwallmart
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's purely preference.

I've just ordered a Turbo S Cab because it ticks all of my requiements:
1- Ballistic speed on tap when the mood takes me.
2- The occasional Trackday here and there.
3- Convertible for when I'm in the mood for a cruise
4- Socially accepted hyper car which can go (and be parked) anywhere

Targa is arguably a better looking car and the hood tech is incredible but tame when sat night to a Turbo S at the lights...

GT3 is to boy racer for everyday and defo doesn't blend in when required.

i think they they are all gorgeous but I instinctively check the rear arch every time I see a 911 to see if it's a Turbo- hence my choice ...
Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Millwallmart
I think it's purely preference.

I've just ordered a Turbo S Cab because it ticks all of my requiements:
1- Ballistic speed on tap when the mood takes me.
2- The occasional Trackday here and there.
3- Convertible for when I'm in the mood for a cruise
4- Socially accepted hyper car which can go (and be parked) anywhere

Targa is arguably a better looking car and the hood tech is incredible but tame when sat night to a Turbo S at the lights...

GT3 is to boy racer for everyday and defo doesn't blend in when required.

i think they they are all gorgeous but I instinctively check the rear arch every time I see a 911 to see if it's a Turbo- hence my choice ...
+1, although I don't find the Targa to be better looking.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
+1, although I don't find the Targa to be better looking.
+1 on your +1!
The list nails it
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

911 Turbo/S is the king of the line up.
Porsche say so themselves in their promotional material.

GT3 is a nice car, if you enjoy a bit more track time. As a daily driver, the Turbo is better in every single aspect, including performance. Yeah it costs a fair bit more, but you are paying for a quicker, more comfortable street car.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Carrera/S is the primary 911 model line and the GTS is a rare and well optioned S with some nice exclusives and is not for sale until the C/S has been out for a while. With the 991.1 the GTS was the highest model available with a manual transmission but the 991.2 GT3 now offers it.
Turbo/S are the top mainstream models. They are only PDK/4WD/no targa.
GT#/RS are the track oriented models so not for everyone. Also production is limited so you typically can't just go order one without any strings (wait time, ADM, whatever).
Cup cars are the true race cars.

Porsche uses MSRP to show heirarchy. At similar base MSRPs the turbo and GT# cars offer similar track performance. To most the GT# car will feel much better doing it as the turbo gets there with brute force instead of finesse. Turbos are faster at stoplights, heavier, and more practical/sensible for daily use. GT# have no rear seats and are more visceral and raw. GT# cars are weekend and track cars that can be daily driven. Carrera/S/GTS and turbo/S are meant to be daily driven and can be a lot of fun at the track.

The GTS offers practical benefits of a turbo at a lower base price as well as some layout combinations that are not available to the turbo line (such as a targa, RWD, or MT build). With the 991.2 there is some argument about the GTS being as quick as a GT3 but tire games cloud the truth of it; in the past it was not as quick around a track. And IMHO it doesn't need to be as it offers other benefits.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:40 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Carl Over; 02-10-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:51 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 635 Posts

If I wanted a MT car, it would not be a GT3 (too over the top for me). If I had to have MT, I would have bought a GTS 4 coupe 7MT and started the modding process to catch up to a Turbo or Turbo S. Sometimes I think that I would supplement my TTS with a Targa 4 GTS 7MT and mod it...just to have one!
Old 02-11-2021, 06:24 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

Having had a 991.2 C2S with all the sports options (SPASM/PDCC/Sunroof delete/Sports Pkg etc.) I thought the TT would be same package dialed up, however, I was mistaken. The Turbo seems to be on a higher level of sophistication and power delivery. Even the PDK seems programmed differently and the 3.8 has a lot more torque and immediacy. It feels more refined and overall a higher level package. And this is even on my non-S 991.1 Turbo, so there is a pecking order and unless you need a manual or the NA engine in 991.1, I would step up to Turbo/Turbo S, it's a level above.
Beezupra (02-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Position of 911 GTS and 911 Turbo S