Sponsored by:

My Audio Upgrade Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:42 AM
StefaninMA
AutoX

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Default My Audio Upgrade Report

There have been many questions about upgrading the GT3 audio. I thought that it would help to have a thread of GT3 owner experiences.

I had it done at a shop in Boston (Sound in Motion). I believe that they'll post pictures soon on their FB site. Just for reference, my daily driver is a PGTS with Burmester.

-- Overall verdict: the system sounds really great. The clarity is better than my Burmester system and the noisy GT3 environment isn't much of an issue. The quality of the work is *excellent*. (The shop owner does the installation himself; he started in 1988 and has won several awards.)

-- Here is a rough description of the components: Dynaudio Esotec with upgraded Esotar mid bass, Genesis Series III 4ch amp, Audio control processor, Illusion Audio subwoofer in passenger footwell (custom enclosure), sound insulation in the doors, system tuned with RTA, subwoofer control in ashtray (in place of lighter). The subwoofer can be removed easily (just unplug).

-- My audio sources: 160 GB iPod, stock CD player, HD radio.

There is obviously quite a bit of work involved. The amp is flush with the sidewall of the front trunk (you couldn't tell that it's there).

The car just came back and after listening for a couple hours, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 AM
Red GTS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you are one of the first to have an aftermarket system installed in the GT3, keep us informed how the system's performance. post pic's when you have a chance would love to see the install
Old 04-10-2015, 03:35 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you mind posting or PMing the cost out the door?

Sounds very nice.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

pic
Old 04-10-2015, 04:08 AM
CaymenGTS
Track Day

I couldn't understand why but to each his own. The sole purpose of having a GT3 is to listen to all the noise the car makes isn't it? Personally the first thing I do when I get into mine is to turn that stereo off! I wonder how many of you do the same.

Cost aside, I probably would have opted for a GTS or Turbo/S with Burmeister if I really wanted a great in car stereo experience.

But most of all, enjoy it!!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:15 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm putting Focals in my Cup Car.

I listen to funk when I operate. I'll listen to disco when I drive on the track.

There are always exhaust purists that want more cowbell.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used to live down on the corner. You can never have too much cowbell!!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 AM
aznkuja328
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StefaninMA
There have been many questions about upgrading the GT3 audio. I thought that it would help to have a thread of GT3 owner experiences. I had it done at a shop in Boston (Sound in Motion). I believe that they'll post pictures soon on their FB site. Just for reference, my daily driver is a PGTS with Burmester. -- Overall verdict: the system sounds really great. The clarity is better than my Burmester system and the noisy GT3 environment isn't much of an issue. The quality of the work is *excellent*. (The shop owner does the installation himself; he started in 1988 and has won several awards.) -- Here is a rough description of the components: Dynaudio Esotec with upgraded Esotar mid bass, Genesis Series III 4ch amp, Audio control processor, Illusion Audio subwoofer in passenger footwell (custom enclosure), sound insulation in the doors, system tuned with RTA, subwoofer control in ashtray (in place of lighter). The subwoofer can be removed easily (just unplug). -- My audio sources: 160 GB iPod, stock CD player, HD radio. There is obviously quite a bit of work involved. The amp is flush with the sidewall of the front trunk (you couldn't tell that it's there). The car just came back and after listening for a couple hours, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
do you mind to tell us which esotec are you using? and are you running the fronts semi active in 3 ways and disconnected the rears? is the subwoofer active?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced

I am installing a Pioneer AVH-X5700DAB head unit in my 2015 991 GT3 in a couple of weeks.

My car has the most basic CDR31 radio - no NAV, no sound plus, no rear speakers. I plan to use it on the road as much as the track, so wanted a better radio option. I also wanted a rear camera to help with parking in the apartment building I am in.

The Pioneer is a double din unit, with nav, Apple Car Play, digital radio. I ordered the fascia from Suncoast with the 991 double din mount.

I think it will be a reasonably straight forward install - installer will just make up a quad lock connector so that none of the original wiring needs to be cut to facilitate an easy re-install of the original unit at time of eventual sale.

Will probably fit rear speakers as well - I think it is just a matter of removing the plastic trim pieces, screwing in the speakers and then replacing the trim covers. Hopefully the wiring back to the head unit is already there.

Will update the forum when it gets done.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

How and where did the fit the massive Esotec tweeters? I had written DynAudio off due the size of them. I was planning the do Hertz Mille instead, but I love the smoothness of Dyn tweeters.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM
StefaninMA
AutoX

Many good questions. Apologies for not being able to answer all of them (the shop has more details).

Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sound...on/88032636715

Speakers: Dynaudio Estec 242 6.5" 2-ways with upgraded Esotar mid bass (they fit in the doors). The rear speakers aren't used (and not needed). Better to have the sound right in front of you.

It took more than a week to do this right, so labor is a big cost driver, no matter what equipment you put in. May as well pick good stuff.

I love the engine/exhaust sound but when you're cruising on streets/standing in traffic at lower RPM, you won't hear much of it. With the right sound system, the car is perfect. As Preuninger said, it's a feast for the senses, which includes music.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 PM
mainly
Racer

how much weight?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 PM
StefaninMA
AutoX

Don't know. But if you add the bigger speakers, sound insulation, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least +30 pounds. Just a guess. I have the buckets, so it all works out.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:34 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by StefaninMA
Don't know. But if you add the bigger speakers, sound insulation, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least +30 pounds. Just a guess. I have the buckets, so it all works out.
sounds about right.

but 30 lbs is a fair amount when you have such little torque.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 PM
C63toGT3 Guy
Rennlist Member

Jeez. I just checked the FB pics and that install is sea elle ee aye enne!

Nicely done.

Quick Reply: My Audio Upgrade Report