Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This car is so much fun :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015 | 01:01 PM
Total911_GT3RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Ah yes, San Diego. Perfect climate for a GT3 all year 'round. But we do have the benefit of having different seasons up here - winter and construction!
Yes, pretty fortunate to have good GT3 weather in San Diego. There are definitely some great roads here which I have covered in articles for Total 911 mag but there many in dire need of repair. As we all probably do, some drives have to be pre planned to ensure the roads are not too bad. All in all though, the roads are pretty good and great fun in the hills of San Diego.
Old 01-11-2015 | 01:40 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

I'm enjoying winter driving, as I normally do with whatever car I buy. I do 90% of my road pleasure driving during the winter, once it's warmer the only driving I generally do is errands or to the track.

I don't much enjoy warm weather driving on the back roads as there is too much traffic.

I always run winter rubber from about Thanksgiving until Good Friday.
Old 01-11-2015 | 02:35 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Below 40 degrees is where I noticed you have to be very careful on these tires

Let's say it's midday and 32F outside, but it's sunny and the roads are warmed up and dry from the sun and a check of the tires shows the psi's have risen appropriately from when you started the car. Still tricky driving?
Old 01-11-2015 | 02:41 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Napoli
Let's say it's midday and 32F outside, but it's sunny and the roads are warmed up and dry from the sun and a check of the tires shows the psi's have risen appropriately from when you started the car. Still tricky driving?
Let me guess, it's midday, sunny and 32F in Philly right now
Old 01-11-2015 | 02:46 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Let me guess, it's midday, sunny and 32F in Philly right now
LOL. Almost. 35F and sunny.

32F and sunny won't stop me. Currently, there's way too much salt on the roads for my taste.
Old 01-11-2015 | 05:29 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by Napoli
I know Michelin used to recommend not storing the tires below 40F and not driving below 45F on the old MPSC. I'm not sure if that's still the case with the MPSC2 as mine are off the car.

It was something to do with the compound degrading from memory. I don't think this would be an issue if it's a drive and back into the garage, but would avoid parking it outside for long periods with them on to play it safe.
Old 01-11-2015 | 07:30 PM
Dude-
Pro

Originally Posted by Haku
Quite right about the tires. In the cold, there really isn't much traction.

I'm glad you are ok. I hope the car was as well.
Thank Haku, I'm ok, the car is ok but my feelings are hurt. I pushed the car a little too hard and now I know not to try that stunt again in the cold. Below 40 is probably a good flash point where you notice it. Car and tire still grips like hell but its not superman anymore under 40 degrees.

Last edited by Dude-; 01-11-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2015 | 09:50 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I know Michelin used to recommend not storing the tires below 40F and not driving below 45F on the old MPSC. I'm not sure if that's still the case with the MPSC2 as mine are off the car. It was something to do with the compound degrading from memory. I don't think this would be an issue if it's a drive and back into the garage, but would avoid parking it outside for long periods with them on to play it safe.
I believe this still holds true for the MPSC2.
Old 01-11-2015 | 10:22 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I believe this still holds true for the MPSC2.
So if this is the case, cars which are stored for the winter months in the colder climates with below freezing temps, is the recommended option to remove and store tires indoors? My garage is attached to the house and insulated but not heated. On the coldest of days it generally does not get below freezing inside but I would think below 40 F.
Old 01-11-2015 | 10:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
So if this is the case, cars which are stored for the winter months in the colder climates with below freezing temps, is the recommended option to remove and store tires indoors? My garage is attached to the house and insulated but not heated. On the coldest of days it generally does not get below freezing inside but I would think below 40 F.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-12-2015 | 06:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

I love the car as well. Unfortunately for me very few places and time to exercise it. I have less than 1500 miles on it. I will be putting it up for sale this week.

Quick Reply: This car is so much fun :)