Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I grew up in Mass. Now live in Cali. What's wrong with us? Lol
Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Unfortunately in Mass a no front plate ticket, while only a couple of bucks, is 2 points on your license and could cost thousands over the course of 7 years it takes to drop off....
Thats absurd...wow. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I'm noticing blue states with front plate laws. Makes sense, additional revenue. I don't want to get into a political debate but I think it's ironic.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:00 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
When I got my Vette in 2003 I got two fix-it tickets within a week in LA. That, however, was the heyday of the camera ticket era, and I have the feeling they were enforcing the front plate rule strictly for that reason. Anyone have recent experience in LA area?
Generally if my meter goes over and I get a ticket for that, i'll also get a ticket for no front plate. I've been given a ticket once for having no plate while still having time on my meter, on Sawtelle -- which has notoriously bad meter maids. Never been pulled over for no front plate but I expect them to use it if they ever felt like it.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
My SA has been instructed to tape a sign on the front bumper: 'Do not drill or attach front plate!' Keep a tow hook or platypus in the front passenger footwell and tell the officer you just got off the highway and were just about to put it back on. Tell him it flutters at highway speed and could damage your paint.
LOL!

A simple Google search " Front plate " will reveal many threads,including this one. The cops probably have an Internet department that will pass info along to the troopers. Maybe it can happen that the cop will tell you I've heard'em all...
Old 12-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no points in MA for no front plates , just fix it ticket.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Not that I'm actually contemplating having holes drilled in my front bumper when I take delivery at the end of March, but I was wondering how many Ontario drivers have actually put them on (using the standard method or using the tow hook) to avoid being stopped constantly by law enforcement officials looking for an easy ticket. Almost makes one want to live in Quebec!

David
Even if you don't buy the tow hook plate mounting bracket, just carry the extra plate with you and say you just got a new bumper and that you haven't had a chance to mount it yet. That seems to work every time I use this excuse (which is twice in my Cayenne and about three times in my C4S)
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

On my .2 GT3 I put a couple of rare earth magnets on the grill. I bent the plate a little so it would mate with the grill. When I parked the car I got the plate out of the frunk and attached it. Easy on easy off.

I did this after a meter maid watched me park my car in the Short North in Columbus, OH and waited on me to leave. The guy then walked over and put a ticket on my car.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:00 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the front toe hook detachable plate from us millworks. Now I just need my car. See other thread.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:08 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

The car just looks so good/clean with no front plate I have refused to put one on. But I just got my 3rd ticket in 4 months. I am OK paying the fines but the cop who just wrote me ticket #3 told me if I get any more I’ll be ordered to go to court and it won’t just be a fine. Has anyone in Ontario ever heard of this? It also got me thinking since he could see the previous tickets on my record – will my insurance company see these tickets and even though they are zero-points tickets, will they count as minor infractions? I keep a US Millworks tow hook mount in the car and on all 3 occasions I had it in the car and said I just forgot to put it back on. None of the 3 officers cared and all wrote me tickets.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
The car just looks so good/clean with no front plate I have refused to put one on. But I just got my 3rd ticket in 4 months. I am OK paying the fines but the cop who just wrote me ticket #3 told me if I get any more I’ll be ordered to go to court and it won’t just be a fine. Has anyone in Ontario ever heard of this? It also got me thinking since he could see the previous tickets on my record – will my insurance company see these tickets and even though they are zero-points tickets, will they count as minor infractions? I keep a US Millworks tow hook mount in the car and on all 3 occasions I had it in the car and said I just forgot to put it back on. None of the 3 officers cared and all wrote me tickets.
All good questions. Would like to know the answers, particularly on the insurance side.

David
Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I acknowledge that the GT3 looks cleaner/better without the front license plate, I bought this car for it's performance/driving experience, rather than its cosmetic appeal.

So when my car arrived, I just told the dealership to drill the front bumper and put the plate on. I didn't want to have the mental hassle to remember to attach this or detach that everytime I want to drive my car. It's illegal to not have a front plate where I live, so I just accept that and have a front plate permanently attached. I also don't care about re-sale, as I plan to keep the car long term.

I don't think it looks THAT bad, does it??
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Although I acknowledge that the GT3 looks cleaner/better without the front license plate, I bought this car for it's performance/driving experience, rather than its cosmetic appeal. So when my car arrived, I just told the dealership to drill the front bumper and put the plate on. I didn't want to have the mental hassle to remember to attach this or detach that everytime I want to drive my car. It's illegal to not have a front plate where I live, so I just accept that and have a front plate permanently attached. I also don't care about re-sale, as I plan to keep the car long term. I don't think it looks THAT bad, does it??
I actually don't think it looks THAT bad, myself. I'm considering getting a really nice frame (not the dealership's) putting it on and then not having to worry about being pulled over. Here are some pics of Ontario plates on a Guards Red 991 GT3 along with a nice little review and track test video: http://driving.ca/porsche/911/review...orsche-911-gt3

Last edited by DES GTS; 12-11-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 PM
maximus136
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what I did on my 430 and my 997 was to scan the plate and have a reflective decal made….the I stuck the decal as a plate….no drilling looks like the real thing and you keep the metal one inside in case they ask….
Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by maximus136
what I did on my 430 and my 997 was to scan the plate and have a reflective decal made….the I stuck the decal as a plate….no drilling looks like the real thing and you keep the metal one inside in case they ask….
+1 ^^^^ I've done this for years. Been pulled over many times and never been a problem! Does the same thing as the plate! Most cops actually like it! And a little bonus is that it's hard to steal.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front plates are mandatory here in the U.A.E and most people put it on with double sided 3M tape, rarely anyone drills the front bumper. Holds well even with our heat, wash, rain...........etc

Last edited by UAEGT3; 12-17-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Front Plates