Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
AP says this engine is supposed to last 300K, but I worry about how realistic this is. I plan to drive my .2 GT3 for a decade, so I hope I don't find out.
Is that 300k before a rebuild, or 300k before going in the dumpster?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,144 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Is that 300k before a rebuild, or 300k before going in the dumpster?
He actually said it doesn't need a valve adjustment for 300k km. Not sure he said anything about the rest of the engine's lifespan...
Old 06-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
He actually said it doesn't need a valve adjustment for 300k km. Not sure he said anything about the rest of the engine's lifespan...
Can you provide a link? I'm fairly certain AP stated the engine would last for 300K (186,000 miles)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 PM
turbo8765
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting that they're marketing the .2 GT3 motor as being the same as the race motor.... but the race motor has a rebuild interval measured in hours while the street motor is good for 186k miles?
The following users liked this post:
Porsche24 (10-11-2023)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^KABOOM
YOWZA!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Every manufacturer in the auto industry deals in " life expectancy " terms when they plan their builds. If I'm not mistaken,at this time,the life expectancy industry standard is 100K miles. Is that lame? ABSOFREAKINLUTELY!!! Back in the day Mercedes were advertising that they are the only manufacturer in the World who makes their analog(in that day) mileage/km counter with the 7th digit. Now they are made of plastic and want you to buy their " latest and greatest " once the warranty's up.
So Porsche's life expectancy is 186K miles for their new GT3. Not too bad considering " industry standard "...
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Every manufacturer in the auto industry deals in " life expectancy " terms when they plan their builds. If I'm not mistaken,at this time,the life expectancy industry standard is 100K miles. Is that lame? ABSOFREAKINLUTELY!!! Back in the day Mercedes were advertising that they are the only manufacturer in the World who makes their analog(in that day) mileage/km counter with the 7th digit. Now they are made of plastic and want you to buy their " latest and greatest " once the warranty's up.
So Porsche's life expectancy is 186K miles for their new GT3. Not too bad considering " industry standard "...
I'll never see 186K, maybe half that. Let's hope for all, AP is right.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I'll never see 186K, maybe half that. Let's hope for all, AP is right.
Well, " life expectancy " and " industry standard " are exactly that : estimates. On top of that,every manufacturer builds planned obsolescence to force us and buy their new models. If one has a Ford or quite a few other manufacturers(the majority),one would know you can't find OEM factory parts 10 years or older. So if you need a part for your old vehicle that the aftermarket doesn't produce,you either 3D print like Jay Leno or junk the car. Porsche and Mercedes are some of the few rare manufacturers that support old cars.

So all these estimates vary on many factors. For example,in the case of the new GT3,Porsche's life expectancy for its engine might be 186K miles,but heavily tracked cars will not reach that. Then another might be driven a lot on the highway,maintained well and rarely tracked,so it can last 250K miles.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:43 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

I wonder how they can do shims under the rocker arm and never need an adjustment for clearance. All of my motorcycles with shim under bucket or shim under rocker arms needed the valve clearance checked and at times I had to remove cans and change the shims. The exhaust valves typically got tight as the engine broke in and got worn. I put 60k mikes on a zx9 and it was coming close to needing a new head as the shims got thinner and thinner to get it back to spec. Not sure how Porsche can have a high rev engine that uses shims and never need and adjustment. Must be doing something real special with the valve seats.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Can you provide a link? I'm fairly certain AP stated the engine would last for 300K (186,000 miles)
Grant is correct. Here is a quote from an interview with AP:

"But the main point on this engine is the cylinder head. We changed the valvetrain to almost a race car or motorcycle engine so we do not have any longer the hydraulic valve adjusters, we threw them out. So you cannot adjust the play in the valves, which is not necessary because it will never change because of the materials involved here. We ran one engine on the dyno for 300,000km and it did not change, not one a half a tenth and we did it several times. So the owners do not have to worry that they have to go to the dealer every 10,000km to adjust the shims."
Old 06-05-2017, 02:01 AM
acf321
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I just hope I get one! Do we know the engine number / code? Reason for asking is if searching for info on this new motor, the anorak sites / writers will normally name it numerically. Also, I read on EVO that the 6 speed manual was a remnant of the 996 GT1 race transmission, but I am looking for more information on this. Can anybody point me to any intel / research / articles on the 6 speed tranny in the GT3. I searched on here, but for some reason was not successful. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Grant is correct. Here is a quote from an interview with AP:

"But the main point on this engine is the cylinder head. We changed the valvetrain to almost a race car or motorcycle engine so we do not have any longer the hydraulic valve adjusters, we threw them out. So you cannot adjust the play in the valves, which is not necessary because it will never change because of the materials involved here. We ran one engine on the dyno for 300,000km and it did not change, not one a half a tenth and we did it several times. So the owners do not have to worry that they have to go to the dealer every 10,000km to adjust the shims."
So.. doesn't that sound like a metallurgical change, some new stronger alloy? We should look through their IP filings to figure this out
Old 06-05-2017, 09:56 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

That's some real special alloy or something on the valve seats, if it never wears a bit. Call me skeptical.....even people that have made high-revving engines.....like the OEM bike manufacturers....for a long time....you need to get it checked at 35K miles or so....it used to be a lot less, the Ducati guys really had it bad as desmo valvetrain is a pain to do. You have to adjust the open and closed clearances. I liked adjusting my own valves, as you really learned how to work on things and be good in tight work spaces.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:21 PM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha had high revving bike engines in the 80s with valves that basically never wore. My father's two Concour 14 motorcycles have never required a valve adjustment (The first being an 08 sniffing 100k) and he runs them like he doesn't have much time left.

My KTM, OTOH... Every 10 hours if you spank it...

We have the technology but when the customer is well trained to accept frequent valve maintenance... No need to spend the extra coin...
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
Interesting that they're marketing the .2 GT3 motor as being the same as the race motor.... but the race motor has a rebuild interval measured in hours while the street motor is good for 186k miles?
indeed in hours applies for the posers that will drive their brand new manual transmission .2 GT3
in 1st gear all the time

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Engine