Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can sofa's 18 way be retrofitted to a 991GT3 replacing buckets?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

How is the lumbar support on LWBs? I get lower back pain without adequate support. The 4 ways kill my back, 14s (and I assume 18s) are great with the lumbar pushed as far out as it goes.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
How is the lumbar support on LWBs? I get lower back pain without adequate support. The 4 ways kill my back, 14s (and I assume 18s) are great with the lumbar pushed as far out as it goes.
I easily retrofitted the LWBs with a little extra foam padding. The inserts are simply velcro'ed in. You could have someone fab your own cheaply.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I easily retrofitted the LWBs with a little extra foam padding. The inserts are simply velcro'ed in. You could have someone fab your own cheaply.
Ugh. For almost 200k they can't produce a car with light OEM seats compatible with human anatomy?
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (09-25-2023)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:02 AM
Mdrnenzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Ugh. For almost 200k they can't produce a car with light OEM seats compatible with human anatomy?
The Ferrari carbon fiber sport seats are the most comfortable sports car seats I have been in. Wish Porsche has the same. The buckets are not for comfort in the RS or CGT. But, it fits the cars mission.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the PIWIS should be able to tell the computer which seat is in the car.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 AM
MYoung959
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Sunday, I bought a 991.2 GT3 with full bucket seats. On Monday, I promised my wife that I would have the seats replaced with the 18-way seats (aka Adaptive Sports Seats Plus) or, at worst, the 4-way seats (aka Sports Seats Plus). On Tuesday, I called my dealer's service department and was told that yes indeed they have made a few swaps just like this. They distinctly remember each swap because they charged their customers $30,000 to do the job.

What on earth could justify this price? I should think that the wires to the bucket and 18-way seats are identical and that all the motors that control motion are local to each seat and just need some power that only comes in one flavor. Some on Rennlist have suggested that the air bag sensors, switches and wiring are points of difference, but it seems to me that almost all the conceivable parts for air bag functioning are also local to the seats. Yes, there might be some tweak to the control coding, but this should, IMHO, seem pretty straightforward too.

So, I'm looking for definitive, authoritative, and even experienced advice on what can be done. And, if it can be done by anyone or any dealer in California, I'd be on my way there tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by MYoung959
On Sunday, I bought a 991.2 GT3 with full bucket seats. On Monday, I promised my wife that I would have the seats replaced with the 18-way seats (aka Adaptive Sports Seats Plus) or, at worst, the 4-way seats (aka Sports Seats Plus). On Tuesday, I called my dealer's service department and was told that yes indeed they have made a few swaps just like this. They distinctly remember each swap because they charged their customers $30,000 to do the job.

What on earth could justify this price? I should think that the wires to the bucket and 18-way seats are identical and that all the motors that control motion are local to each seat and just need some power that only comes in one flavor. Some on Rennlist have suggested that the air bag sensors, switches and wiring are points of difference, but it seems to me that almost all the conceivable parts for air bag functioning are also local to the seats. Yes, there might be some tweak to the control coding, but this should, IMHO, seem pretty straightforward too.

So, I'm looking for definitive, authoritative, and even experienced advice on what can be done. And, if it can be done by anyone or any dealer in California, I'd be on my way there tomorrow.
I bet you can find folks with 4-ways with the same stitching color that will simply trade seats with you for FREE.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM
MYoung959
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mech33
I bet you can find folks with 4-ways with the same stitching color that will simply trade seats with you for FREE.
I'll be at the Werks Reunion next week and hope that I can find a swapper (or is that a swappee?). Also, I have to find someone knowledgeable of the job here in California. My local shop, SGS, is willing to do the work but they would like guidance on any possible difficulties like wiring or coding.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

The GT3 seats do not have a memory function
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM
MYoung959
AutoX

Originally Posted by Akunob
The GT3 seats do not have a memory function
Not an issue with me. I've got a pretty good memory and don't require computer support. Also, I'm the only driver.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyk79 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Yeah, the LWB seats would be a no-go for my wife, too. Your wife is going to love the 18-ways. You probably want to keep the LWB seats for if/when you sell the car. Even if you could just get one seat for her it would solve the problem, unless you find the LWB seats uncomfortable, too. Good luck sorting this out.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

AFIAK, the wiring harness in the 7.2 is "standard" there is no difference across the seat types (you can check PET to confirm this) so it should be a simple swap involving a torx head, a friend and a 6 pack of beer
and will take about 2 hours...

certainly the swap (I did myself) from 18 ways (with seat heating) to LWBs this was the case.

I do not believe any re-coding is required, although if you are swapping to 18 ways it may require such - $30k is total, misinformed *BULLSH*T* ...
Old 08-15-2018, 02:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Since I have never done it on a 991 I cannot speak with authority, however I have
done it (in the opposite direction) on the 997's... I put 996 recaro's in my 7.1 and
GT2 sports buckets into the 7.2, both were compatible, but this was a 18->lwb
change and not the other way

The nub of the "issue" is the wiring harness *and* the preferences memory function...

the mounts for the various seat types are compatible, so you will be able to remove the LWB's and install the 18's, and the wiring harness should be compatible
for the airbag and seatbelt functions also...

The $64k question is in regard to the other functions of the 18 ways - the various motors for controlling the position, seat heating etc... you can probably determine
the compatibility from PET if you check the various options for the wiring harness
for the seats, if there are variants, chances are they are not "upwards compatible"

If the harnesses are compatible (which I suspect is the case) then the last
question is in regard to the preferences memory function, its my belief that this
is probably controllable via PIWIS programming.

hopefully someone will have done this in reality and can confirm or otherwise my assertions.
Does the 30K include the 18-way seats? If so, then the price is about right. Otherwise, it’s just highway robbery.

If you’re in SoCal and need a lead on an 18-way to LWB swap (platinum stitching) let me know. PM me.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:00 PM
MYoung959
AutoX

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
AFIAK, the wiring harness in the 7.2 is "standard" there is no difference across the seat types (you can check PET to confirm this) so it should be a simple swap involving a torx head, a friend and a 6 pack of beer
and will take about 2 hours...

certainly the swap (I did myself) from 18 ways (with seat heating) to LWBs this was the case.

I do not believe any re-coding is required, although if you are swapping to 18 ways it may require such - $30k is total, misinformed *BULLSH*T* ...
Thanks, Larry. I've got to find someone willing to swap. I understand that the dealer service department wants about $25,000 for seats that if purchased as an option are only $2,640. Can you spell "highway robbery"? I'm up on the Central Coast in Nipomo on the San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara county border so getting to SoCal is an easy ride. Can't PM you here but you could reach out to me if you like. I don't know the rules about giving you my address here, but you could find my website where I show my car rally and other types of apps.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:44 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Wondering
Nope, unless you invest (waste) a fortune.

I tried that already, getting the driver's seat from my 991.1 Turbo S to the 991.1 GT3 RS and vice-versa. Wiring harnesses are different.

I was looking to remove even more weight from my 991.1 Turbo S (one of the lightest ones around, lighter than some 991 GT3s out there). My surprise: the weight saving was not what I expected, my LWB was 38 lbs, my TTS 18-way ventilated/heated 66 lbs.

However, there is a 991 Carrera Sport Plus Seat (4-way, height and backrest angle are powered) that could be a direct fit in a GT3/GT3RS, as these seats don't have fans, heaters, memory, and all the other adjustments. They may be compatible with the standard wiring harness in the 991 GT3 RS. These sport seats have the same layout as my sport seats in the 991.1 Turbo S, and I really don't use any of the miscellaneous adjustments in the TTS, just height at minimum, backrest to my favorite angle and fore/aft adjustment to my safety and correct steering distance.

Just ask your favorite Porsche shop to snap pics of the wiring harness in the Sport+ 4-way 991 seat and compare. I think the LWB are annoying to get in and out (and I'm pretty physically active), this is one of main reasons I drive the TTS more than the GT3 on the streets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can sofa's 18 way be retrofitted to a 991GT3 replacing buckets?