Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option* (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/978863-official-991-2-gt3-release-confirmed-500hp-4-0-and-manual-option.html)

timwu12 03-18-2017 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac (Post 14041115)
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ar...enty-questions

Old article but some interesting answers by AP :)

SUBJECT: Andreas Preuninger

What is your greatest achievement? My son Philip, who has the Porsche virus aged three! And gaffing the GT street cars better and better. I'm proud of their iconic status.

What is your biggest regret? Not doing something in life to be in a position to buy a GT!

Whose work in the industry today do you admire most and why? Ferdinand Piech for his engineering genius, Walter Rahrl for his god-like ability to drive cars safely beyond the limit and Roland Kussmaul for his engineering experience combined with his efficient problem solving.

Who inspired you to join the industry and why? My father took me to Porsche Weissach R&D when I was at university. I'd always had 911 posters in my room (Carrera 2.7 RS). That visit was key: I knew I wanted to work there as an engineer.

What's the best advice you've ever been given? Actions speak louder than words.

What's the biggest challenge you're facing in the next 12 months? Keeping up the pace of GT car development.

What car do you drive for fun? I'm lucky to drive only fun cars in my job, the GT3 RS being my favourite. At the weekend I enjoy a 993.

When did you last go for a drive for the sake of it, and where? Some days ago, on an offshore boat on Lake Constance, full throttle!

What's the best moment you've had in a car? Coming home after 300kms of empty autobahn in the middle of the night, sitting in the GT3 in the driveway, ears ringing, engine ticking, feeling exhausted but wide awake.

What was your first car? A VW Scirocco Gil, spoilers all round and big wheels.

Did you pass your test first time? Yes. I started driving long before I turned 18 - my parents didn't know, but it helped me get by.

How will cars be powered in 30 years time? Hopefully with an environmentally friendly but powerful and emotionally engaging engine.

It's your last drive. One car, one road. What and where? Great Ocean Road, Australia, in a Ferrari Daytona. No, wait: Stelvio pass, Italy, in a Carrera GT. Or maybe Pikes Peak...

What music do you listen to in the car? From Robbie Williams to AC/DC, mostly rock. Status Quo have always been a favourite.

What's the best book about cars or car people you've ever read? Jeremy Clarkson's Don't stop me now. Actually, all his books.

Is there such a thing as a car too fast for the road? No! Speed will always fascinate people.

Will we see a Porsche Motorsport version of the Cayman or Boxster, or will you work only on 911s? I don't know I've got my hands full with 911 work right now, but never say never.

Why don't you build cars with paddleshiffs? It's due to weight and lack of driver involvement, but again, never say never.

How long can you use the old race engine for road cars when other 911s use the new flat six? It's mature and well aged, not old. It's tried and tested and it has character. We'll use it as long as it makes sense.

When will a road-legal Porsche do its first sub-seven-minute Niirburgring lap? A car set up for lap times at the 'Ring can be a dog on the street, so we have to find the best compromise. Maybe we have with the GT2 RS...

This is kind of sad. AP spends so much time, energy, and effort to create such a great car generation after generation and yet they still can't give one to him?!

mcsmcs1 03-18-2017 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by timwu12 (Post 14041123)
the .2 GT3 comes standard with PDLS in the silver headlight trim.

when you select the $700 option that just says PDLS it's for the black headlight trim. It doesn't say bi-xenon PDLS in black as the option, but that is what it is.

Then why under summary does it show with option code 603? Also, the regular PDLS lights appear in the graphics , both 2D and 3D.

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Option Code 603
$780

603 is the option code for PDLS right from my 2014 GT3 build sheet

Option code for Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) is XEX

shown here:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d85a00492.jpg

Drifting 03-18-2017 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by timwu12 (Post 14041123)
the .2 GT3 comes standard with PDLS in the silver headlight trim.

when you select the $700 option that just says PDLS it's for the black headlight trim. It doesn't say bi-xenon PDLS in black as the option, but that is what it is.

I don't think so. I would like you to be correct, but Porsche knows that black headlights are prized, so they want to make us pay more for them.

When you choose PDLS, the headlight housing goes from a light gray to a dark grey, this is known. That does not mean it becomes black.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen clear evidence that choosing PDLS gives you true black headlights, as the option for black headlights has always been distinguished with the word black in the formal description of the option.

timwu12 03-18-2017 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1 (Post 14041138)
Then why under summary does it show with option code 603? Also, the regular PDLS lights appear in the graphics , both 2D and 3D.

Option Code 603
$780

Option code for Bi-Xenon Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) is XEX

shown here:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d85a00492.jpg

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 14041140)
I don't think so. I would like you to be correct, but Porsche knows that black headlights are prized, so they want to make us pay more for them.

When you choose PDLS, the headlight housing goes from a light gray to a dark grey, this is known. That does not mean it becomes black.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen clear evidence that choosing PDLS gives you true black headlights, as the option for black headlights has always been distinguished with the word black in the formal description of the option.

In the standard equipment portion of the PDF in my configuration, it shows:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...15308623ee.png

Someone else in an earlier post on this thread mentioned that selecting the PDLS option makes it black, I can't confirm that other than that the configuration image changes to a black color, but it does show PDLS as standard equipment, presumably in the silver/grey color

mcsmcs1 03-18-2017 03:00 AM

Porsche has been known to make mistakes before on this, such as memory package with 18 ways on the 991.1 GT3 etc.

Here is a pic of plain PDLS, option code 603. Look familiar? I believe the list of standard features has an error, and PDLS is NOT standard. The only black lights offered are the LEDs. That's my educated guess, but we will have to check with PCNA or dealer to be sure.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e17dc26791.jpg

GT3 KSA 03-18-2017 04:26 AM

I was referring to the configurator appearance and not what it says in the options. Configurator in 2D the standard option is not black but when you add PDLS it becomes black.

Now if you switch to 3D the standard option is very black and when you pick PDLS it is also black but less black / dark than the standard option.

I know the LED in black is black but also the regular lights come in black too but is it the option with PDLS or without. I am assuming 2D is always correct except for when you paint in a different color it does not show.

As such i think PDLS for regular makes them black and silver on wheels should be darker than aluminium like on 2D and not on 3D

cwk911 03-18-2017 06:22 AM

Am I the only one who wants to take his girlfriend AND his son for a drive? I can get electric seats... (which i think is an abomination) but I cany get a couple little jump seats in the back so i can take both my favorite ppl to the lake...

cwk911 03-18-2017 06:25 AM

And while Im at it at... since when did we say its ok to time yourself... in other words, that clock on the dash is ugly and is contrary to EVERYTHING we teach at the track.

Im buying one anyway...

squid42 03-18-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by midwestamv8 (Post 14040816)
Can't answer your question, but adding to configurator oddities, in all but the chalk color, if you select the carbon fiber mirror housings and *don't* select the mirror stalk in gloss black, the mirror stalk will become body-colored... except in chalk. Then it stays black :o

The 3D configurator sometimes does not correctly update some details when you select options in the "wrong" order. Try wiggling it, or start over.

Generally the 3D view should be more accurate, however surprises in details are common, and that specifically means sometimes cars arrives with details that the sales rep is surprised about.

squid42 03-18-2017 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1 (Post 14041138)

Option Code 603
$780

The person who coded up the configurator for the 991.2 as it is right now obviously got confused about PDLS, PDLS+, the colors, the codes thereof... somewhere. It is really hard to decode what's going on. The ability to paint the washer caps makes it more confusing in this case.

Metzeger 03-18-2017 09:22 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...aef1f59a90.png

mass27 03-18-2017 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 14041039)
I don't see an option for PDLS in black on the US configurator, the only option I see to get black headlights, is if you get LEDS in black

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1 (Post 14041042)
Correct

Partially correct. There IS an option for PDLS in black. It is the only option in PDLS for $780. PDLS in "silver" is a standard option. That is why when you click the LED option for $2,290, the surround looks the same as no option clicked.

STG 03-18-2017 10:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)

^^^ Our first official manual pic posted here earlier this week.

Attachment 1146135Attachment 1146136

Leica 993 03-18-2017 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac (Post 14041115)
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ar...enty-questions

Old article but some interesting answers by AP :)

SUBJECT: Andreas Preuninger

What is your greatest achievement? My son Philip, who has the Porsche virus aged three! And gaffing the GT street cars better and better. I'm proud of their iconic status.

What is your biggest regret? Not doing something in life to be in a position to buy a GT!

I don't buy that for a minute. The head of Porsche GT Division can't afford a GT3? Riiiiiiiiiight ~ He must have some other serious hobbies, like yacht racing or collecting RM watches.

neurotic 03-18-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Houndstooth (Post 14041425)
I don't buy that for a minute. The head of Porsche GT Division can't afford a GT3? Riiiiiiiiiight ~ He must have some other serious hobbies, like yacht racing or collecting RM watches.

Ya, the head of AMG dirves around in a KIA & the CEO of BMW Motorsport Division has been spotted around town in a Dacia Sandero.