Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Definitely following this discussion closely. Anything that can be done to mitigate this issue has my attention.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:13 AM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Following closely as well.

I love this car and had hoped this would be my last track car!!!
I think it is the best Porsche has produced short of the racing versions. But......

A question for those in the know. Did Porsche change the valve train in the 991.1 rs(compared to the gt3)? I understand the displacement difference but is this the same valve train the three versions of the gt3 are using?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by s996
Following closely as well.

I love this car and had hoped this would be my last track car!!!
I think it is the best Porsche has produced short of the racing versions. But......

A question for those in the know. Did Porsche change the valve train in the 991.1 rs(compared to the gt3)? I understand the displacement difference but is this the same valve train the three versions of the gt3 are using?
Same valve train between RS and GT3
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 07-24-2016, 04:56 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Jamie

I guess that takes away the get out of jail free card by simply trading up to the RS.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting to think about. Not one Rs failure that I've read about on this forum, but I'm wondering if that's just reflection of the fact that not as many are tracked hard?

Last edited by Jpacione; 07-24-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
Interesting to think about. Not one Rs failure that I've read about on this forum, but I'm wondering if that's just reflection of the fact that not as many are tracked hard?
That would be my completely uneducated, uninformed, and most likely ignorant guess.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:21 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
Tracked hard??? They are hardly driven at all, I have seen very few do any hard duty other than the press fleet. Most photos of 911Rs they are on display or parked.....I mean for goodness sakes haven't you heard they are all selling second hand for $1.3 million dollars, they can't be driven to preserve value ! Ha ha
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Our analysis and consultation with some of the original engineers who designed the valve train for Porsche point to this being an issue while the engine is operating normally, not isolated to dry start, cold revving etc. of course these things may contribute but are not the source.

Anytime you have metallic wear happening in an engine the damage isn't isolated to the area you can see wearing. The metal debris that is being pumped through the engine will create accelerated wear in all bearing surfaces and in the cylinder/ring contact. This is why I was so disappointed in Porsche when they started doing head swaps for this issue, instead of engine replacements.

We can't predict how Porsche will react to this design change fix of the finger follower/cam wear issue. The fix is intended for those that plan to keep their cars for the long haul and with 2014 cars coming out of warranty in 2018 we'll have plenty of time to test and prove the fixes merit.

We will be documenting the fix in my own car (2014 E engine) taking finger followers out and measuring pad thickness over the coming months after its all installed.

It's important to me as a fellow owner to eat what I cook so to speak.

Parts are finishing up design, as soon as we have prototype parts in hand we'll show what's going on and what we did to resolve it. Until then has to remain a bit cloak and dagger to protect our effort thus far
Jamie - Thanks for taking the initiative on this. It will be very interesting to follow the info you post re your own car.

BTW - I agree with you 100% on changing heads (vs the entire engine) after major metallic abrasion. The pics posted in another thread of a severely worn finger were pretty alarming. I wouldn't be comfortable with that amount of particulate being pumped through the engine. Do you believe the oil filter will be effective in catching most/all of the particulates? Or is this a case of secondary damage being done before the particulate makes it to the filter in the first place?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:29 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Jamie - Thanks for taking the initiative on this. It will be very interesting to follow the info you post re your own car.

BTW - I agree with you 100% on changing heads (vs the entire engine) after major metallic abrasion. The pics posted in another thread of a severely worn finger were pretty alarming. I wouldn't be comfortable with that amount of particulate being pumped through the engine. Do you believe the oil filter will be effective in catching most/all of the particulates? Or is this a case of secondary damage being done before the particulate makes it to the filter in the first place?
Another good reason to have an oil analysis done. I just sent in an analysis to Blackstone on the new "G" motor just put in... it now has ~700 miles on it.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If the garage confirms that I need an engine replacement, then it won't be due to over reving on cold starts. I have been religious about getting the engine up to temp before giving it the beans so it must be something else.
News today from my garage. They swapped coils between cylinders 5 and 6 and spark plugs between 4 and 6. Took the car out and again got mis-fires on cylinder 6.

Will now take out the rocker arms, photographed them and send them to PAG. If confirmed by PAG that I have the dreaded GT3 disease, I will have a new engine delivered and installed late next week...hopefully.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

News today from my garage. They swapped coils between cylinders 5 and 6 and spark plugs between 4 and 6. Took the car out and again got mis-fires on cylinder 6.

Will now take out the rocker arms, photographed them and send them to PAG. If confirmed by PAG that I have the dreaded GT3 disease, I will have a new engine delivered and installed late next week...hopefully.
Chris,

If that happens, would this be your second G engine?

Good luck with everything, hope it all turns out well.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Chris,

If that happens, would this be your second G engine?

Good luck with everything, hope it all turns out well.
Mine is an "F" series engine. It's 2015 car with a late 2014 build.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:09 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If confirmed by PAG that I have the dreaded GT3 disease, I will have a new engine delivered and installed late next week...hopefully.
Not granted. There is also a chance PAG will decide to give you a new top part for engine rebuild, as they did with my engine. Took 9 1/2 weeks to get my car back.

I really wish you to get a new engine, it will be faster then. But it's all up on PAG.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
Another good reason to have an oil analysis done. I just sent in an analysis to Blackstone on the new "G" motor just put in... it now has ~700 miles on it.
Bruce. It would be great if you can let us know the summery findings of the oil analysis here. I doubt at 700 miles there will be much to tell...
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Will do. The reason why I wanted it done was because the new engine would not give me an oil reading for the first 4-5 days when I got it back. When it decided to, it claimed it was overfilled. Same symptom when my 'F' motor blew. The mechanic said he put 6.5 quarts in the added as needed - which is the proper way to fill. So I sent the car back to them and asked for oil analysis. Too reset the oil indicator, the mechanic turned off the motor, raised the back lid and close it... that's how you force an oil reset - makes the oil level recalculate. Now it reads two bars below high.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?