Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:14 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Looks like I'll be the first one here to test Porsche's new warranty. To refresh the background - about 2 months ago, my car threw a CEL (red Reduced Power that disappeared on restart and reappeared on reaching 7500 RPM and yellow permanent one). The car has been sounding increasingly diesel-like and idling rougher and rougher since last fall, though. I took it to a dealer, and the dealer replaced coil packs and dismissed any of my requests to look at valve lifters.

Yesterday I had a chance to drive the car for the first time since, and it threw the CEL again. Shut down, restart engine - the CEL is gone. Try driving again but short-shifting - worked for some time but I got too close to redline once and Red CEL came up again. I continued driving to cool down, and shortly I got Oil Low, park safely message. Oil was one notch below max when I started driving. I park the car as soon as I find a safe place. Add 1/2 quart of oil, start the engine - nope, the same message, and it sounds unhealthy - clunking quite a bit. There were no leaks of any kind, though.

So I shut it down and call roadside assistance.

Porsche roadside tow truck shows up (over 3 hours later than the ETA they gave me!) and asks me to start the car to help get it loaded. I start it, and it dumps good two quarts of oil on the ground in seconds. We winch it up, and get it to the dealer.

Now the fun begins. Once I got it to the dealer, a different one from the last time because it was closer. SA was very unfriendly. And peppered me with remarks like "this looks tracked, I'm not sure it's going to be covered by warranty", and literally interrogated me. He also called the dealer that replaced the coil packs while I was there, but that did not clear anything up for him. And finally he made me sign $400 estimate for diagnostics, again because he was not sure it would be covered, and refused to give his business card (because I can just call the number on the receipt). That was my worst customer service experience with Porsche so far. I hope it's not a sign of what to expect next and things will work out.

It really would not matter to me if the car just disappeared tomorrow, but I know my hyperactive sense of fairness will really eat at me if Porsche gives me crap. I first complained about diesel-like clunking sound and very rough idle 10 months ago! Luckily I have it on record. It was getting progressively worse and two dealers refused to really look into it. Of course, it blew up.
First off my sympathies to you. I am also sure you will be sorted and may end up in a better position than those of us whose engines are still okay. Why? Because you will get an engine with the issue fully resolved while the rest of us are driving around waiting to see what happens.

Increasingly also I imagine this will affect resale values. Sorry but Porsche has admitted to a flaw in this engine and that is what the rest of us sit with. I bought this car to enjoy in my retirement, not really planning on buying another sportscar (okay never say never).but you get the picture. That plan is now no longer possible. Am I being squeemish?

Also: if Porsche had shared with us the likelyhood of what happened to you happening one can apply one's mind. So far no one has answered the question: how many cars are affected?

Oh I forget, Walliser said they all are!

Except yours when the new engine comes. I presume they have fixed the inclusions.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
Increasingly also I imagine this will affect resale values. Sorry but Porsche has admitted to a flaw in this engine and that is what the rest of us sit with. I bought this car to enjoy in my retirement, not really planning on buying another sportscar (okay never say never).but you get the picture. That plan is now no longer possible. Am I being squeemish?
I take the opposite view. This engine has a 10 yr/ 120K mile warranty, which should support resale value and bring much peace of mind. If my engine blows, great, I get a new one. If it doesn't blow, great, it didn't blow.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Manifold
I take the opposite view. This engine has a 10 yr/ 120K mile warranty, which should support resale value and bring much peace of mind. If my engine blows, great, I get a new one. If it doesn't blow, great, it didn't blow.
Thanks Manifold, I am trying to be cheerful about this, I really am. In all other respects the car is such a peach. Never had a car with turn in like this! And the sound
Old 08-30-2017, 07:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I have/had the same view, except when that I lost 3 track days AND one full vacation day due to his issue already. The teardown is scheduled for today. I'll post updates.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Increasingly also I imagine this will affect resale values.
Before the extended warranty announcement, there would have been no way I would have purchased a 991.1 GT3 even though the risk of engine failure was small.

Now with the 10 yr/100K mile coverage with full engine replacement, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. I just don't want a PDK.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:50 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because you will get an engine with the issue fully resolved .
I would not take this for granted, whatever PAG says.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:12 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new engine

Old 09-04-2017, 11:07 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

congrats, a new bulletproof motor!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:09 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Note the date!!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:12 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

It was on the test stand October 2016!!!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:51 AM
levd
Pro

December 2015?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:20 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It says 343 Kw (459 Hp). ((((
Old 09-04-2017, 04:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Could be old stock. I asked about this possibility and PCNA said that some engines in inventory may need to make their way through the system. If this engine is prone to failure you get a bunch of miles on it before getting the newer version. I actually hope mine holds up for another year or two before I get a replacement. Less miles on the next one.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:10 PM
levd
Pro

So much about "everyone from now on will get a latest and greatest revision engine with issue fixed forever".
Old 09-04-2017, 04:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
So much about "everyone from now on will get a latest and greatest revision engine with issue fixed forever".
Glass half full, Levd. Glass half full!

If my engine went tomorrow and I got old stock I would be happy and just drive it hard. In 4 or 5 years if it goes, I could end up with a 9 year old GT3 with a new engine in it.

That is a good outcome IMO.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?