Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Track rats - 12v air compressor? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/917116-track-rats-12v-air-compressor.html)

inactiveuser7616 02-05-2016 09:00 PM

Track rats - 12v air compressor?

Seems for $40-50 I can get a portable compressor to use at the track.

Is this a good idea?

Mech33 02-05-2016 09:22 PM

I find air compressors to be slow and tedious at the track. If you make it a habit, I'd recommend investing on this setup: http://www.prestacycle.com/product/p...gen-cylinders/

I use the 30 CF. Costs me $20 to fill up with nitrogen and it lasts roughly 1/2-3/4 of a year worth of track days.

http://www.prestacycle.com/_dm/wp-co...pg&w=960&h=640

Todd B 02-05-2016 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (Post 12991592)
Seems for $40-50 I can get a portable compressor to use at the track.

Is this a good idea?

Track should have air available. And you can always add a portable air tank to fill your tires at your pit location.

I had a friend plug his 12v air compressor into my 997.2 GT3 and it promptly blew after a short time. It was plugged into the socket in the passenger footwell.

zedcat 02-05-2016 09:33 PM

I drive to/from the track (about 60mi each way). I carry a small Kobalt (Lowe's brand) compressor to fill the tires at the end of the day since I'm usually bleeding through the day as temps rise. The Kobalt is both 12v and 120v and you can set the target pressure and let it run. When it breaks will toss it and get another. Only downside is it's adding wet air- dried air or N2 is better but for me it's convenient.

R.Deacon 02-05-2016 10:50 PM

Phil ,
I bought and have used for 4 years now some cheapy 12v cigarette plug compressor for Pep Boys or
AutoZone , I top up tires at days end before drive home . I have tub the size of the trunk that accommodates my needed gear compressor , cleaning stuff , oil and 200 mil cup, brake fluid , centerlock paste rags etc. blue tape and so forth . The only track I've been too out a dozen or so
is Lime Rock that has a free air up and running

fbirch 02-05-2016 11:56 PM

I have a small battery-powered unit that I like because I don't need to plug it into a 12V socket and drag a cord around the car. It's good for adding a few pounds to each tire to adjust the pressure during a DE, but not for airing up a seriously under-inflated tire. An air bottle works faster, but most of them are big and clunky, and 911's don't have a lot of trunk space.

inactiveuser7616 02-06-2016 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by R.Deacon (Post 12991822)
Phil ,
I bought and have used for 4 years now some cheapy 12v cigarette plug compressor for Pep Boys or
AutoZone , I top up tires at days end before drive home . I have tub the size of the trunk that accommodates my needed gear compressor , cleaning stuff , oil and 200 mil cup, brake fluid , centerlock paste rags etc. blue tape and so forth . The only track I've been too out a dozen or so
is Lime Rock that has a free air up and running

Awesome! I really appreciate your insight.

Not only am I recomfirmimg what I would have considered items to bring, but certainly learning some good new ones!

Thanks a ton R.Deacon.

FLT6SPD 02-06-2016 12:01 AM

Whats your budget?

I have a twin ARB in the Jeep for offroad duty. They have a self contained model in a case.

http://store.arbusa.com/Compressors-C9.aspx

inactiveuser7616 02-06-2016 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD (Post 12991979)
Whats your budget?

I have a twin ARB in the Jeep for offroad duty. They have a self contained model in a case.

http://store.arbusa.com/Compressors-C9.aspx

No budget per se. But if I can get the job done reasonably well for $30-50...why not!?.. Now if it ends up not doing the job, well then I'll upgrade.

Dr.Bill 02-06-2016 01:18 AM

I had a bicycle pump for a while. Worked fine and helped the biceps!
A small 12v pump is OK for emergencies.
Now I have friends with trailers and big air compressors. That works best. :)

Macca 02-06-2016 02:04 AM

I've experimented with a few units as our track doesn't have air. The cheap cigarette lighter adaptor models are a waste of time as they fail in short order. I now use a twin piston unit, connects to the battery direct via aka gator clips and pumps at 160 psi per minute. Around $100 used outlay but it's fast (will pump each tyre from 28 hot to 36 hot in about a minute) and its robust enough to hand around my track buddies and do 3-4 cars before it's due a cool down. I'll post specs and picture tonight. It's available on eBay...and it works

seapar 02-06-2016 09:35 AM

I use a Vi-air model I plug into cig lighter. I have the car running also. I also have a extension cord bought thru Amazon that attaches to the cig plug so it reaches all 4 tires. If there is air at the track like the Cantrell's trailer I'll use their air. Options just in case.

FastLaneTurbo 02-06-2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 12992173)
I've experimented with a few units as our track doesn't have air. The cheap cigarette lighter adaptor models are a waste of time as they fail in short order. I now use a twin piston unit, connects to the battery direct via aka gator clips and pumps at 160 psi per minute. Around $100 used outlay but it's fast (will pump each tyre from 28 hot to 36 hot in about a minute) and its robust enough to hand around my track buddies and do 3-4 cars before it's due a cool down. I'll post specs and picture tonight. It's available on eBay...and it works

That has been my experience also. The small Compressors often fail quickly,
the large ones will blow your 5A Lighter Plug Fuse, the compressed air tanks
are heavy, require lashing down, and take up too much valuable and limited storage space, Tracks often lack AC power outlets and available compressed air, so I use what Macca does, a larger compressor requiring a direct connection to the battery, and have purchased a set of permanently mounted battery connectors from Amazon making the battery connection available in the trunk without removing the GT3's plastic battery cover.

inactiveuser7616 02-06-2016 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo (Post 12992953)
That has been my experience also. The small Compressors often fail quickly,
the large ones will blow your 5A Lighter Plug Fuse, the compressed air tanks
are heavy, require lashing down, and take up too much valuable and limited storage space, Tracks often lack AC power outlets and available compressed air, so I use what Macca does, a larger compressor requiring a direct connection to the battery, and have purchased a set of permanently mounted battery connectors from Amazon making the battery connection available in the trunk without removing the GT3's plastic battery cover.
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug: Automotive

Could you post some pics please?

PierreTT 02-06-2016 02:19 PM

I bought VIAIR 85P and like it alot