TPMS track mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default TPMS track mode

Hi All,

Just wanted to check my understanding of the track mode in TPMS - I have a day at Dijon Prenois in France on Thursday and wanted to get it right this time - when I did a day at Monza a while back I left it in normal road mode and got a ton of warnings going off..

I had it in mind you could just go in and set your desired pressure for each wheel in the display and save them. Now I read the manual and it seems that you have to actually set all 4 tyres to the right pressure (while they are cooling down) and then save the current reading as the desired pressure. Is that really right? Seems like a weird solution - although I guess it gets round any TPMS calibration probs..

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default TPMS Track Settings

System works really well.

Simply set your cold starting pressure in the morning and activate the track pressure mode in the TPMS.

Once you do this the car will ask you each time you turn on the motor if you want to continue with track pressures.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for confirming.. Only thing is most of the advice around here is for hot pressures rather than cold..
Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
Thanks for confirming.. Only thing is most of the advice around here is for hot pressures rather than cold..
I really like the TPMS track mode. I typically reduce my tire pressures to what I feel is optimum for my autocross runs once I get to the site. I've been targeting about 28F and 30R. Then I activate race mode and set those new "Circuits" pressures as the baseline. As I begin to get more heat in the tires I continue to make adjustments to keep pressure in my desired range. Each time you turn on the ignition it will ask again if you want to use the "Circuits" tire pressure and you just select yes. Should you decide that you want to try different pressures just adjust the tires and then set that as the new baseline.

It works great because it allows you to see instantly what your pressures are after each run without having to jump out and check and without warning messages going off all over the place because pressure is lower than the recommended cold setting built into the system.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

If you use hot pressures then you'll get warnings every time you start the car after letting your sit for 30 minutes or so after your last run.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem I've had is with me -- I forget to confirm the Circuits mode when I restart the car and then the system gets into "Learn" mode which locks you out of Circuits. Wish it would just stay in Circuits mode for some reasonable amount of time and/or distance.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
If you use hot pressures then you'll get warnings every time you start the car after letting your sit for 30 minutes or so after your last run.
If the car sits long enough for the tires to cool, I think you can just select "Circuits" mode again and the "Apply pressures" to establish a new baseline. Once the tires are again up to temp, repeat the process and you'll be good to go without the warning messages.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
The problem I've had is with me -- I forget to confirm the Circuits mode when I restart the car and then the system gets into "Learn" mode which locks you out of Circuits. Wish it would just stay in Circuits mode for some reasonable amount of time and/or distance.
Yes! Happens to me too. Very frustrating. Takes half a day to get out of learning sometimes.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:26 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got confused I tried to use this system for the first time.
Basically the circuit mode lets you run with much lower temps that are actually allowed in the normal mode. Remeber here that TPMS readings compensate for the temperature change. It means that in normal mode if you set 2.0/2.3 at 20C even if you get the tires very hot and high pressure the Fill Info would show 0.
What happens if you heat the tires and set the proper pressure like 2.0/2.3? For the Normal mode you are running well below the min acceptable pressure because once you cool the tires to 20C you would have way too little pressure.
Hence is the Circuit mode. It works exactly the same way and only disregards the minimum allowed pressure (for cold tires of course).
Old 06-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they key here is you have to set TPMS in Circuit mode up at the beginning of the day to get a trouble free day. On two track days i forgot and was fighting the system which was frustrating. The information above makes it much clearer now how it was supposed to work. My work around has been to use standard TPMS mode, lowering the initial session pressures never below 26 PSI then letting air out from there (assumes Im never sitting around long enough for the tyres to cool below 26 PSI but thats never been the case yet). It then works fine. That said the Circuit mode seems better suited and if you follow the guide above form mike and others and remember to do this you wont have issues Im sure...
Old 04-16-2016, 10:37 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 25 psi TPMS Circuit Mode Hack?

Guys,

I start my sessions at 25 psi to reach 29F/30R hot.

I would like to lower the Circuit low threshold to 25 psi somehow, (PIWIS exercise I am guessing)

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Good info in this thread: I just realized that I need to look in my handbook...
The following users liked this post:
yojimbo007 (12-05-2019)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I think they key here is you have to set TPMS in Circuit mode up at the beginning of the day to get a trouble free day. On two track days i forgot and was fighting the system which was frustrating. The information above makes it much clearer now how it was supposed to work. My work around has been to use standard TPMS mode, lowering the initial session pressures never below 26 PSI then letting air out from there (assumes Im never sitting around long enough for the tyres to cool below 26 PSI but thats never been the case yet). It then works fine. That said the Circuit mode seems better suited and if you follow the guide above form mike and others and remember to do this you wont have issues Im sure...
Originally Posted by unclejosh
Guys,

I start my sessions at 25 psi to reach 29F/30R hot.

I would like to lower the Circuit low threshold to 25 psi somehow, (PIWIS exercise I am guessing)

Thoughts?
To OP, Dave hope all is well

I'm looking into lowering the minimum PSI as well. What a giant PITA...

So to make the system work all day you need to set Curcuit mode with cold 26PSI = 1.8 Bar. If not your car will cool down in between sessions on cold days back to below 26PSI and you have to add air just to set the system. If not in between sessions than for sure overnight. As opposed to Macca I had this happen all the time in Europe with the cold temps but at Sebring as well, 22PSI overnight as I was aiming for 32PSI hot.

So if you are not worried about the last few 0.1 secs jus set tires in race mode at 26PSI and avoid annoyance.

Setting them hot does nothing to the minimum treshold do-over problem.

The system is also very quick and accurate, you see PSI drop on cold days on long fast straights. If it detects 1 tire at 25 PSI when you start the car you have to start all over -> Summer tires, drive and set, Circuit mode, drive and set..

Problem is that this happens specially at cold days when the PSI goes higher. So 26PSI is too high cold because it goes to 36PSI (Dunlops even worse than MPSC2, even with Nitrous).

Dijon kills tires like no other track I have been to, so to get the rear tires to make it through the day a bit more pressure may help, so in Dijon case maybe not so bad to run a bit higher.

I can barely work an IPhone, so maybe I missed something but this is as much as I could figure out so far.

Now, if someone could setup the Pitlane speed limiter.......
Old 04-17-2016, 02:44 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Got TPMS Circuit Mode to 25 psi Baseline without Red Flags

Guys,

This is what I did to set TPMS Circuit Mode to 25 psi Baseline :

1. Relearn TPMS with cold tires. Let rest until pressure is the same as cold pressure before the learning was started.
2. Set circuit mode to 26 psi with a good gauge, no China Basura. Ex. Tanner.
3. Turn off car and remove key (not sure if this is necessary).
4. Set tire pressures to 25 psi with a good gauge.
5. Turn car back on, and there should be a screen that asks "circuit" or "new pressure". Choose circuit.
6. Your circuit TPMS should now show 25 psi per attached picture, and no alarms thrown. I tested this once during one session. No issues.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

^^ I've never been able to achieve that!

I will try it Monday when my car is cold and sitting.

So I set car in circuits first thing, (that's confusing because I don't always get Circuit option) than drop to the setting I want, restart engine, I get choice -> circuits and set again?

Done?

Quick Reply: TPMS track mode