Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK-S VS PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Does porsche actually refer to it as PDKs? Or the gt3 PDK?

It seems porsche also refers to the new gt3 RS as PDK.
Do they actually say PDKS anywhere?

Last edited by -eztrader-; 03-04-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I honestly can't tell the difference between PDK-S, my custom setup PDK in my 981 and PDK in my wife's Macan Turbo (with sports chrono in sports plus mode). I probably like the GT3 paddle feel the least of all 3, but my 981 runs an aftermarket wheel/levers which I like the best.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:39 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
1) Mechanical changes: lighter gears and shorter gear ratios (maximum speed attained in 7th gear)
2) Faster shift times: "less than 100 milliseconds"
3) Superior software: when in automatic mode, PDK-S has superior shift maps that are better tailored to track use (it just "knows" what gear it should be in when braking before a corner, and will hold gears appropriately longer when cornering and accelerating).
4) Superior shifting "feel" with shorter throws when pulling the paddles. Also, when using the centre stick to shift, upshifts occur when pulling the stick back, and downshifts occur when pushing the stick forward (reverse of the normal PDK).
5) Paddle neutral function: ability to put the car in neutral instantly when pulling both paddles simultaneously and then reengaging gears instantly by letting go of the paddles.
6) No forward "creep" when not pressing the accelerator when in Drive
Good summary, though a comment on #3. In the basic automatic mode I find the shift map to be pretty economy oriented, likely the mode used to obtain the EPA MPG rating. I have been mainly using manual, but the "SPORT" automatic mode obtained by pressing the PDK-S Sport button is the track tuned automatic mode.

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I honestly can't tell the difference between PDK-S, my custom setup PDK in my 981 and PDK in my wife's Macan Turbo (with sports chrono in sports plus mode). I probably like the GT3 paddle feel the least of all 3, but my 981 runs an aftermarket wheel/levers which I like the best.
Hmm... I've driven our 2012 Cayman R which has a similar era PDK box as the 997.2 back to back with the PDK-S and it would take nerve damage or pain killers to not feel the difference. Certainly 2, 4, 5 and 6 above can be instantly felt.

The jury is still out on the PDK-S paddle feel, at first I found them a bit stiff but I'm still assessing the feel.

Ryan
Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by reidry
Hmm... I've driven our 2012 Cayman R which has a similar era PDK box as the 997.2 back to back with the PDK-S and it would take nerve damage or pain killers to not feel the difference. Certainly 2, 4, 5 and 6 above can be instantly felt.

The jury is still out on the PDK-S paddle feel, at first I found them a bit stiff but I'm still assessing the feel.

Ryan
I agree on the older models, but this is a 2015 GT3 vs a 2015 Macan T vs a 2014 981 Cayman (100% customized with a 3.8L engine, reflashed tranny setup etc). All 3 have sports chrono, and in sports plus mode.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm glad someone else mentioned the paddle feel. I also preferred the paddle feel on the 991S. Admittedly, I've only had the car for 4 days and 290mi, but I find the paddles a little too hard to press. Maybe they will break in?
Old 03-02-2015, 01:56 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree on the older models, but this is a 2015 GT3 vs a 2015 Macan T vs a 2014 981 Cayman (100% customized with a 3.8L engine, reflashed tranny setup etc). All 3 have sports chrono, and in sports plus mode.
How about the audible clutch / flywheel chatter and slight jerkiness at low speed?

Can't imagine they adopted that behavior in the Macan.

Ryan
Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,126 Likes on 5,272 Posts

This is surprising to me on so many levels.

The differences, I think, are most exaggerated at low-speeds just tooling around town where the PDK-S in auto mode drives like a teenager behind the wheel of his first car with a clutch pedal.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:15 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I'm glad someone else mentioned the paddle feel. I also preferred the paddle feel on the 991S. Admittedly, I've only had the car for 4 days and 290mi, but I find the paddles a little too hard to press. Maybe they will break in?
I don't know if there is any truth in it, but I suspect the GT3 might have mechanical switches vs digital in the other PDK setups. They might give a little more overtime if that is the case.

Originally Posted by reidry
How about the audible clutch / flywheel chatter and slight jerkiness at low speed?

Can't imagine they adopted that behavior in the Macan.

Ryan
Sure you get some chatter at low speed in the GT3 - I get a hell of a lot more in my Cayman and less in the Macan. I don't tend to drive my GT3 at low speed for more than a mile to get onto my favorite driving highways.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This is surprising to me on so many levels.

The differences, I think, are most exaggerated at low-speeds just tooling around town where the PDK-S in auto mode drives like a teenager behind the wheel of his first car with a clutch pedal.
Well, that might explain some of it, I've never driven my 981 on the street (was picked up by truck from the dealer to get converted straight away), and I don't take the GT3 if I'm heading into town.

I still maintain no detectable difference in shift times between the three when all being driven in manual mode with sports plus active. Sure there is probably a few ms in it, but it is not noticeable to me.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if there is any truth in it, but I suspect the GT3 might have mechanical switches vs digital in the other PDK setups. They might give a little more overtime if that is the case. Sure you get some chatter at low speed in the GT3 - I get a hell of a lot more in my Cayman and less in the Macan. I don't tend to drive my GT3 at low speed for more than a mile to get onto my favorite driving highways. Well, that might explain some of it, I've never driven my 981 on the street (was picked up by truck from the dealer to get converted straight away), and I don't take the GT3 if I'm heading into town. I still maintain no detectable difference in shift times between the three when all being driven in manual mode with sports plus active. Sure there is probably a few ms in it, but it is not noticeable to me.

This is very surprising! The PDK in my Macan turbo feel so much slower than the PDK in my Gt3! Not only is way faster, it's also much much smarter as well...
Old 03-03-2015, 11:08 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
This is very surprising! The PDK in my Macan turbo feel so much slower than the PDK in my Gt3! Not only is way faster, it's also much much smarter as well...
I agree. Night and day difference in feel from the Macan to the GT3 for me too. I thought the PDK in the Macan felt pretty crisp/firm until I got the GT3. Now I understand why they call them "flappy paddles".
Old 03-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I'm glad someone else mentioned the paddle feel. I also preferred the paddle feel on the 991S. Admittedly, I've only had the car for 4 days and 290mi, but I find the paddles a little too hard to press.
Not me. I go back and forth between the GT3 and a Cayenne S that has the same sport wheel with paddles that is in the 991. The GT3 paddles feel taut and responsive, the Cayenne paddles feel almost sloppy by comparison.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:45 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

My Cayenne GTS paddles weren't the big problem. The big problem was when I shifted with my thumbs, there were huge delays before the transmission shifted. It seemed like a second or more.
For just fun street driving and some DE track days in a Cayman S, it sounds like a manual tranny with 4.41 gears is still the way to go for many of us. And that's cheaper than PDK with Sport Chrono.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:51 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 991S PDK loaner for 3.5 months before my GT3 arrived. I found the PDK-S to be noticeably better in every way. I can't understand how people can't tell the difference?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I had a 991S PDK loaner for 3.5 months before my GT3 arrived. I found the PDK-S to be noticeably better in every way. I can't understand how people can't tell the difference?
Does the 991.1 Turbo S has kick down in manual mode?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
Does the 991.1 Turbo S has kick down in manual mode?
I would ask in the turbo forum, not the GT car forum.

Quick Reply: PDK-S VS PDK