Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
From my development manager at HAWK- don't change drilled rotors unless they are below minimum thickness OR the cracks are so bad you actually feel them while braking. Everything else is a waste of a rotor. So I asked what if the cracks meet between holes- "Don't worry, use up the rotor. If you feel it then change." FYI, YMMV, but HAWK is in the racing and brake business and I assume that they know what they are doing. Of course this is for track day users, not competitors as I know a lot of Cup racers change rotors as a matter of schedule rather than actual wear.
In that conversation, did you ask when they'll have pads available for us? It'd be nice to have some competition.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my development manager at HAWK- don't change drilled rotors unless they are below minimum thickness OR the cracks are so bad you actually feel them while braking. Everything else is a waste of a rotor. So I asked what if the cracks meet between holes- "Don't worry, use up the rotor. If you feel it then change." FYI, YMMV, but HAWK is in the racing and brake business and I assume that they know what they are doing. Of course this is for track day users, not competitors as I know a lot of Cup racers change rotors as a matter of schedule rather than actual wear.
Great feedback as well !!!! I was a bit doubtful when the guy suggested me to change the rotor along with the first pads... but why not?

First Porsche so I am learning
Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
In that conversation, did you ask when they'll have pads available for us? It'd be nice to have some competition.
Good question. I hadn't planned on a lot of tracking with the new gt3 but I will reach out to him and find out.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

glad to know i am not alone.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pop pics of rotors here and let's have a look. I've seen bazillions and I'll have an opinion
Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Pop pics of rotors here and let's have a look. I've SOLD bazillions and I'll have an opinion
Fixed that for you :-) No conflict of interest at all!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I replace rotors when it cracks all the way through.
You don't always feel that. And you can only see that by taking the wheel off.

If they are cracked hole to hole and hole to edge (but not all the way through where you see the crack go all the way t the inside of the rotor) i replacement them still for a weekend because i dont want the hassle of swapping rotors.

The trick is cooling them down for a lap or longer. My cool down lap i try to not touch the brake and if the track is located to allow it, i drive straight off the track to refuel, getting a little extra cool down time.

Red flags are rotor killers
Old 04-11-2015, 02:37 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

If they are cracked hole to hole and hole to edge (but not all the way through where you see the crack go all the way t the inside of the rotor) i replacement them still for a weekend because i dont want the hassle of swapping rotors.

The trick is cooling them down for a lap or longer. My cool down lap i try to not touch the brake and if the track is located to allow it, i drive straight off the track to refuel, getting a little extra cool down time.

That's what I thought you should do too and the distinction as cracked all the way through was given, and the answer was the same, but this time he added that's why I hate drilled rotors. They always crack and its a matter of degree as to how bad, but rarely is it bad enough to change. So use best judgement but don't change just because surface cracks meet hole to hole.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Why would cooling them down quicker via forced air be better than slowly letting them cool in the paddock? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems counterintuitive from what I know of metals.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Because they cool down evenly, if you are forced to stop, still shove the car a bit so the caliper does not keep one part of rotor hot.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:04 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Because they cool down evenly, if you are forced to stop, still shove the car a bit so the caliper does not keep one part of rotor hot.
Exactly. Quick but even cooldown causes heat-checking - spiderweb of smaller cracks that usually do not cause rotors to fail. In wet, rotor may cool down too fast and heat-checking may actually turn into cracks. But as long as car is moving, rotors are less likely to crack.

Uneven cooldown when parked causes long cracks across the entire rotor, which is a write-off - it's usually either a red flag or a passenger throwing up in the car ;-). Another side effect of that is that heat from rotors goes into calipers and causes boiled fluid, blistered lines, etc. Better to do cool-down lap or at least a half.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm happy to finally say that the clubsport setup on my 991 GT3 is FINALLY DONE. It's taken some time because of inevitable issues with being one of the first few to use a new product. However, I'm happy to say that both Cantrell and GMG really stood behind their products and helped as much as they possibly could to make sure that the project was completed and completed perfectly. I'm very happy with the final result!

The setup:

1) Cantrell motorsports rear 1/2 cage. Points to note:
- Bolt-on
- plastic trim and carpet need to be trimmed
-mounting points are in the exact same location as OEM mounting points

2) GMG anti-sub strap mounting plate. Points to note:
-drilling into the floor is required to mount the plate
-the plate is mounted using rivnuts

3) Schroth GT3 specific profi-II6 harnesses. The GT3 specific belts have eyelets that match to the OEM lap belt mounting points perfectly.

4) Modified passenger LWB seat to accept anti sub strap. Opened up seat cushion and hole cut in shell to match the driver seat.

The cage:

weight of the cage WITHOUT mounting plates (forgot to weight those, but I'm guessing another 5 pounds): 46.5lb

The seats and rear shelving removed:

Seats removed and floor shown:

Everything disassembled and out:

Precut holes in carpet from the factory to show factory mounting point

Tool used to trip plastic

Hole trimmed:

Mounting plate installed:

Trim installed:

Cage going in:

Cage installed:

Next up is the installation of the GMG antisub plate:

Opened up the carpeting to expose the hardware/electronics under the seats:

Holes drilled:

Rivnut tool:

Rivnuts installed:

Plate installed:

Antisubstraps bolted down:

Pic showing the straps passing through the passenger side seat with the hole cut in the seat:

Pic showing how the GT3 specific lap belt eyelets fit perfectly into the OEM mounting points:

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-12-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Finally IN and DONE!

passenger side!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

A video walkthrough of the setup:

Old 04-12-2015, 02:08 AM