Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   SF to Portland "break-in" roadtrip... recommendations? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/844338-sf-to-portland-break-in-roadtrip-recommendations.html)

rookie1 11-17-2014 01:33 AM

SF to Portland "break-in" roadtrip... recommendations?

I'm planning to take a few days off in February when my GT3 arrives and do a SF to Portland roundtrip with my wife to break the GT3 in properly.
We have never been to Portland, so we are planning to spend a few days there as well.

The route should look something like this but is not final... and we might spontaneously do detours as well.

Basically it's up the coast on HWY1 and 101 and then take a faster route via I5 back. Overall trip length should be 4-5 days, with 2 days in Portland:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c2d63a4391.png

Any recommendations? I know there are some NorCal folks around here and I vaguely remember in a thread some recommendations for stops around Fort Bragg.

Recommendations both for the route & stops as well as general tips for a long trip with the car are greatly appreciated!

<3mph 11-17-2014 01:43 AM

Should be a fun trip! Couple comments on OR, although there are RLers who live in the state and could probably advise you better than me. We spent a week driving through from Vancouver, Canada, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Take a moment to stop along the OR coast (you'll pass through Cannon Beach for example, and you may want to stay here overnight for the pretty beach (weather may not be awesome) and Haystack rock). You'll love the food in Portland. Try Pok Pok for excellent Thai. You probably should try Voodoo Donuts (but Blue Star donuts is less glitzy and makes great artisanal donuts). But we've had all sorts of great food there: farm to table, Mexican, great sandwiches, food trucks, everything is available there. We drove by Crater Lake which is just spectacular for the views. I would advise avoiding the Freeway (I-5) as much as you can, even if you have to extend the trip by a day or two, and if you can take, say, 58 from Eugene, it's a pretty nice drive too on your way to Crater Lake.

Please post some photos and your impressions. Hope you have a blast!

LAGinz 11-17-2014 01:46 AM

I'm from SoCal but a few years ago I had to drive from SF to Mendocino and there was one road that ran into Mendocino that was not only beautiful to the eyes, but a real driver's road. Maybe someone out there knows what route that is.

aeGT3 11-17-2014 02:04 AM

Excellent idea; great way to accomplish brake-in. Is it 1000 miles or so from SF to Portland?
But if it is even less, a major portion of brake-in will completed any way.
I have not driven extensively in West Coast lately. Do you guys have frequent deer encounters/accidents in West coast like we have in Midwest?

seapar 11-17-2014 02:22 AM

Be sure to check the weather. May be a bit inclement for your taste and tires. When mine arrives in a month or so I hope to use weekend short trips to help break it in weather temps permitting.

montoya 11-17-2014 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
February can be a rough time for roads in Oregon. For example, I am picking my new 2015 in Bend OR at the end of January, I plan to trailer home with the Cascade passes between Bend and my home in Portland. Your I5 route goes over Grant's Pass which is at 4200' and depending on conditions can be snow, ice, or some combination with gravel thrown down for "traction" but a sure bet: rock chips.

The coast is safer for sure, but your trip over to Portland can go through some passes, again that could be snow zones- your best bet is to stay on Highway 30 from Astoria to Portland which mostly follows the Columbia River (rather than Hwy 26 which has a couple 2000' or so passes which is the route you have on your map). Once in Portland there is little chance of any snow, just rain but it can be everyday in February. Deicing chemicals are put on the roads quite often when Valley temps get near freezing, and those can leave a residue on the wheels and rockers that will come off but is a pain (kind of like road tar).

So there you have it- an adventure for a sports car for sure, February is the time of year when the 4x4 part of our garage and the oldest cars earn their keep. I wouldn't do your trip until May or June, but hey, I was raised in SoCal and while I don't miss the 50 million people there, I do miss the nice year round driving weather so maybe there are more "Southernly" adventures in February waiting for you.

Sorry I'm not more encouraging. This kind of reminds me Oregon's old governor that famously told Californians to come on and visit, but please go home!

Or this:

Attachment 887508

996FLT6 11-17-2014 03:24 AM

Point reyes station- Marin sun farms rest and butcher shop/ Tomales bay oyster co at Marshall up north of Point reyes station/ If u go thru he 128- some wineries I recommend are Goldeneye(owned by Duckhorn), Navarro Vineyards/ Toulousse Vineyards. at Albion city before Mendocino- Abion River Inn restaurant/ Vegan restaurant at Stanford inn "The Raven" at Mendocino/ Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino in a cottage/ Fort Bragg- try breakfast/lunch spot "eggheads" and if u like trains try the "skunk train" that runs the coast in Fort Bragg and there's a few restaurants below the main bridge at fort Bragg where the fishing boats are. If u hit Florence there's a Italian restaurant at the best western that's very good just before u hit the nice old looking bridge into florence. Portland- nice hotel in downtown in Macy"s "The Nines"/ both Heathman Hotel and Hotel Monaco(pet friendly) are nice too/ there's Ace Hotel but too hip for me. Restaurants- Paley's Place/ Le Pigeon/ Laurelhurst Market/ Pok Pok/ Bamboo Sushi/ the restaurant at the Heathman Hotel. Ice cream- Salt and spoon/ donuts- Voodoo Donuts. Also check out the fixed food trucks in downtown. My favorite vineyard in Carlton, Or by Portland Oregon is Soter Vineyards- sensational view of the vineyard strewn valley(warning: gravel road). There's a famous church in Portland "The Grotto" if u take elevator up sensational view all of Portland/there's Multnomah Falls(waterfall). Popular book store "Powell's". If you heading down hw 5 back checkout Ashland( do not drink that natural water fountain" and if u hit Redding Ca check out the Sundial Bridge. Mike

Scott. 11-17-2014 11:18 AM

Yeah, agree with Montoya. I would avoid going north during February and Portland also gets freezing rain. The passes usually have leftover gravel which would be even worse for your new paint job.

montoya 11-17-2014 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 996FLT6 (Post 11809154)
Point reyes station- Marin sun farms rest and butcher shop/ Tomales bay oyster co at Marshall up north of Point reyes station/ If u go thru he 128- some wineries I recommend are Goldeneye(owned by Duckhorn), Navarro Vineyards/ Toulousse Vineyards. at Albion city before Mendocino- Abion River Inn restaurant/ Vegan restaurant at Stanford inn "The Raven" at Mendocino/ Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino in a cottage/ Fort Bragg- try breakfast/lunch spot "eggheads" and if u like trains try the "skunk train" that runs the coast in Fort Bragg and there's a few restaurants below the main bridge at fort Bragg where the fishing boats are. If u hit Florence there's a Italian restaurant at the best western that's very good just before u hit the nice old looking bridge into florence. Portland- nice hotel in downtown in Macy"s "The Nines"/ both Heathman Hotel and Hotel Monaco(pet friendly) are nice too/ there's Ace Hotel but too hip for me. Restaurants- Paley's Place/ Le Pigeon/ Laurelhurst Market/ Pok Pok/ Bamboo Sushi/ the restaurant at the Heathman Hotel. Ice cream- Salt and spoon/ donuts- Voodoo Donuts. Also check out the fixed food trucks in downtown. My favorite vineyard in Carlton, Or by Portland Oregon is Soter Vineyards- sensational view of the vineyard strewn valley(warning: gravel road). There's a famous church in Portland "The Grotto" if u take elevator up sensational view all of Portland/there's Multnomah Falls(waterfall). Popular book store "Powell's". If you heading down hw 5 back checkout Ashland( do not drink that natural water fountain" and if u hit Redding Ca check out the Sundial Bridge. Mike

Good list (all much better in June/July- hint, hint)- One correction- the ice cream shop is Salt and Straw. If you are into Wines, the absolute best place to stay for a couple of days winery tours is the Allison Hotel- 5 stars in the heart of wine country. Favorite wineries for us are Willakenzie, Ken Wright and Elk Cove, all worth a visit, Willakenzie is spectacular. There is also Domain Druohin and many other gems nearby. If you love scenery and mountains, then a trip to Timberline lodge is awesome, but is a mid summer fall trip for sports cars- it is a ski area. Downtown go to hotel for business guests is the The Benson, we hear a lot of positive reviews, I have never stayed there but it looks really nice.

MayorAdamWest 11-17-2014 11:45 AM

I love Mendocino and point Reyes, but I've gone there twice now in the winter and it's been cold and rainy both times. It's still a great place, but the MPSC2 might not be happy there. Another option is to head south on rt 1 toward Santa barbara, LA, and San Diego.

rookie1 11-17-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest (Post 11809634)
I love Mendocino and point Reyes, but I've gone there twice now in the winter and it's been cold and rainy both times. It's still a great place, but the MPSC2 might not be happy there. Another option is to head south on rt 1 toward Santa barbara, LA, and San Diego.

Yeah that's our backup plan if the weather doesn't pan out. I somehow hoped it wouldn't be too bad in February but obviously there is a high chance of rainy/snowy weather.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far... super helpful even if we'll postpone the trip!

Jimmy-D 11-17-2014 12:15 PM

I agree with MayorAdamWest. Head South - Save the Northern trip for June-Aug.

JFA65 11-17-2014 12:42 PM

Just completed a fun run from San Fran/Eureka/Calistoga. Stop in Ferndale, west of 101 and south of Eureka. Very scenic off the way village. Must see Avenue of the Giants, Humbolt Park on old hiwy 1 and best drive in Ca or at least the most curves per mile, hiwy 36 from 101 to 5. Plan on 4 hrs and be sure your tank is full. Dramamine recommended for passengers.

996FLT6 11-17-2014 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by montoya (Post 11809590)
Good list (all much better in June/July- hint, hint)- One correction- the ice cream shop is Salt and Straw. If you are into Wines, the absolute best place to stay for a couple of days winery tours is the Allison Hotel- 5 stars in the heart of wine country. Favorite wineries for us are Willakenzie, Ken Wright and Elk Cove, all worth a visit, Willakenzie is spectacular. There is also Domain Druohin and many other gems nearby. If you love scenery and mountains, then a trip to Timberline lodge is awesome, but is a mid summer fall trip for sports cars- it is a ski area. Downtown go to hotel for business guests is the The Benson, we hear a lot of positive reviews, I have never stayed there but it looks really nice.

Any recommendations of dining establishments in Portland that we should partake? My daughter goes to college up there. Any recs would be appreciated : ). Thanks. Mike

ADias 11-17-2014 10:33 PM

I5 may be snowed in in Feb. I5 is boring. Hwy 1 and 101 up north is preferred. Weather (rain) may be factor there too.

The road someone mentioned close to Mendocino is CA128 between the coast and Garberville on I101.