Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Devil's advocate - what is not so good? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/832017-devils-advocate-what-is-not-so-good.html)

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 12:32 PM

Devil's advocate - what is not so good?

Okay- Now that I got every ones’ attention I felt it was time to post some of my impressions. But, rather than sound repetitive, I am going to play Devil’s Advocate and look at where they could of done better. Now, I am splitting hairs here, and there is really not a whole lot you can say bad about this car but there is not a whole lot more I can say good that has not been conveyed so far. Keep in mind that I may have to repeat some of the good to draw out some of the not so good(bad really not a word I can associate with anything from this car)- bad choice of words on my part. Just a little history; I have owned a Caymans S, 997.2 Turbo, Audi R8 V10. Have driven Vettes, Vipers and Lambos. Have yet to drive a Ferrari

-Exterior- One can argue that although it looks really good with its low stance; I think that it does force one to be very careful driving it. It is low and one has to be mindful of that. If Ferrari can make a car that does not require a lift with equal to better Performance – why not the GT3??. Also – it can be a little tough on entry while seating but once your butt is planted it is very comfortable and fitting. Other than that; love the exterior and it does not look like the C2S.

-Wing – I have heard many complaints that it really obstructs their rear view. It is not a problem for me and no need for a rear camera. May be my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I found. But – best looking wing on the market and it looks like it belongs

LEDs – I love the double tube and the DRLs(4 dots) but other than that they do not offer any better lighting while night driving. Cannot see how anyone would be able to tell

Chassis/suspension – I have no problems here. It is firm(but not too firm) and very adequate for daily driving. I think Porsche nailed it and certainly opened their audience for this model

Steering – Still need more time here before I comment. Not disappointed by any means but 300 miles is not enough and this is a very important area to cover.

Transmission/PDK-S – Interesting topic. I wonder if they built the engine around PDK-S or vice versa. They have set a new benchmark with this. A major accomplishment. A dual clutch Automatic that acts like a Manual. Who would of ever of thought???. I am a Manual guy but this is really that good. Keeps me engaged which is not easy to do w/o a third peddle.

Engine – Pretty amazing but could it have more torque? – I think so. But I can argue for and against it. More torque would be ideal but would you lose the “Jekyll & Hyde” aspect of this car. It really is a quite a daily cruiser below 4500 rpms but when you get on it it turns in to a different car. The “Jekyll” comes out and the car also hunkers down. It seriously has a dual personality. My R8 V10 was a good DD but did not have a split personality. But- you can argue that this is not what is good dependent on what you want.- It can be boring but if you want to wake up the sleeping monster it will accommodate.

Exhaust – I have heard many Ferraris and it does not sound as good as say a 458. But maybe comparing the two is sort of unfair. Now- I would never want my Porsche to sound Italian and like a Ferrari. I want my Porsche to sound German( like the air cooled days of the past). But – I have the SW bypass and love the menacing exhaust above 6000 rpms. Car sounds great but in a menacing(Hide your children) kind of way. But it is not a pretty and melodious note – do not be mistaken

Interior - very comfortable and I think overall site is very good. Now- I think there could be more options available to dress her to your liking. Other car Mfg., like say Lamborghini, lets you go a little more crazier on the interior. I wish Porsche offered that option. Quilted leather seats, Carbon paddles shifters ect. But – in the end- I do not think this is what Porsche wants this car to turn in to. I think they offer a small menu and try to keep it racing-like heritage on the interior. But it is worth mentioning

Radio – I have the sound package plus and it is okay. Do I wish they offered a Burmeister? – sure – But the engine really dominates the experience so I can live with what I got

****So far; I am very impressed with this car. It puts a smile on my face on start up. It makes you feel like a little kid all over again. Let’s face it; I hate to say for ~$150,000 it is a bargain but it really is. It is KEEPER for me and I always wanted a white GT3 and it has exceeded all expectations

Nick 09-02-2014 12:40 PM

Jimmy, excellent review. It touches many of the issues I have experienced. As you say in your summary, the 991GT3 is the best bargain on the market today.

0Q991 09-02-2014 12:52 PM

Great review, Jim.

The fact that I need to really examine closely in order to find fault is testament to how great this car is and how happy I am with it.

As ridiculous as it sounds, since I still have another tank of gas before I start to get a flavor for what the car is really like, my complaint is a ridiculous minor one--but one that I notice each time I drive it. I wish they just input the few lines of code to make the passenger mirror tilt downward when in reverse. That's not asking for too much is it? Rear visibility is horrible, as should be expected. No camera or rear sensors available as an option--blame weight?! Okay, fine. But how much would a few lines of code weigh???

That insanely minor gripe aside, I fully agree--for new cars, there is nothing this side of $300k that I would even remotely consider. That's my personal opinion.

need a 993 09-02-2014 12:53 PM

Great write-up Jimmy.
Interesting to hear that the ride is supple enough to use as a DD.

Would like to know your thoughts on the brakes though. Did you go ceramic or steel? Any regrets?

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 12:59 PM

Have steel. Phenomenal like all Porsche brakes. I have owned (2) with Steel and they are always more brake than the car needs. So I have to assume the PCCBs are also great.

But - they squeal quite a but. I even had the issue with my R8. It can be a little embarrassing while braking at a stop light. In time this usually passes. The head mechanic and my dealer said to ride the brakes a little on the HWY to glaze them over a little bit - what ever that means

doubleurx 09-02-2014 01:05 PM

Typically you should do several hard stops with new brakes. I don't think riding them on the highway will properly do it.

neanicu 09-02-2014 01:17 PM

Just curious,if you had to guess,do you see yourself owning this car long term(10 years) or most likely short term(2-3 years)?

NateOZ 09-02-2014 01:18 PM

Thanks for the insights Jimmy.

SamFromTX 09-02-2014 01:24 PM

Thanks for a nice review. I have two comments to add:
1-Wing. If one is to never drive on track, then adjusting it for less downforce will flatten it and is likely to improve rear visibility. My understanding is that it comes in the mid position from the factory, which has a degree of forward tilt already.
2-Bermister. If I remember later tonight, I'll take pics of the amp in my Panamer's trunk under the matt. That think is huuuuge and the speakers are likely huge as well. I would not be surprised it if is a 100+ lb penalty of what you have now.

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 01:33 PM

^^Well. Good question. I have not owned any one of my toys beyond 3 years. My 997.2 Turbo lasted the longest( 3 years) and I think this car will be at least 4 years and possibly sell it when it has (1) year left on the warranty. We will see. Things have been working out pretty good for me on the business-side of life so I will see in a couple of years if any thing else peaks my interest. But - Porsches are timeless and if most things going towards FI then this car could be a Keeper.

alaint101 09-02-2014 01:44 PM

Great comments. Thanks Jimmy

One aspect that could be improved, interestingly enough, is pedal placement. They seem to have kept the 'great' 3-pedal placement w/ the 2-pedal set-up.

It's fine until you need to left brake. At that point, you find way too much travel from foot rest and you are awkwardly twisted to the right.

BMW seems to have done a better job of adjusting the 2-pedal set-up, IMO.

neanicu 09-02-2014 01:53 PM

I would buy from you used in a heartbeat Jimmy! Not this car because I could've had it new,but from your posts,it does sound like you keep your cars mint.
Enjoy!

Dude- 09-02-2014 01:54 PM

Thanks Jimmy, awesome write up.

Mike in CA 09-02-2014 01:55 PM

Enjoyed your comments, Jimmy.

The interior of the 991 GT3 at any kind of highway speed is a horrible environment for audio, given all of the ambient noise. The advantages of the Burmester would be completely wasted; spending $5K on it would have been flushing money down the loo.

Dude- 09-02-2014 03:23 PM

Jimmy, in regards to the SW bypass. I have one but have not installed it yet. From your experience, is it very loud (obnoxiously loud?) or beautifully loud. Im quite happy with the tone of the high revs and feel the 0K-5K needs a little more kick. From what I understand, the SW gives the sound kick from 4-9K. In a perfect world, I would ask for a stronger sound low to mid and more emphasis on the snap crackle and pop on the shifts and downshifts.

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 03:28 PM

It is not obnoxiously loud and if you do not activate the PSE button is does not come in to play. It comes in to play above 4000 with the PSE button activated. It just takes it up a notch or two. I do not think I would want any more nor any less exhaust noise right now. For me the SW completes what I wanted at a price which is quite reasonable - plus you do get the weight savings not that any one could notice but can not hurt

24Chromium 09-02-2014 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by alaint101 (Post 11619203)

One aspect that could be improved, interestingly enough, is pedal placement. They seem to have kept the 'great' 3-pedal placement w/ the 2-pedal set-up.

It's fine until you need to left brake. At that point, you find way too much travel from foot rest and you are awkwardly twisted to the right.

Whole heartedly agree. I instinctively left foot brake in an automatic. It's obvious they kept the brake pedal near the accelerator pedal. I had a hard time at first trying to left foot brake. It felt unnatural to have to move my left foot that far. ~1100 miles in, I'm 99% accustom to it, but once or twice now I've found my right foot on the brake pedal.

I'm hoping I can translate that muscle memory to my Cup car, as I've been trying to force myself to LFB when I don't need to downshift.

frayed 09-02-2014 03:46 PM

Have to agree on the wing, it's not that bad in terms of visability. You want bad? Drive a Boxster with the top up. Ugh.

- I too wish they had a backup camera option. I don't like the look of sensors though.

- Great call on tilt mirror. Would be nice to have.

- Tq: I don't feel the motor is weak on tq at all. Pulls nice from 3k ish. Only super relevant on the street as on track you'll live at 5000 rpm +

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 04:06 PM

The car is fast - no doubt. I have only pushed her to 7000, while breaking her in, and I can not even imagine an extra 2000. Actually - how often will I even use that on the street. But - at times it is more about knowing it is there than actually going there. Hey - the car hits 60 mph in 3 seconds. How often will I be doing that??; probably not too many but sure as hell good knowing it is feasible.

What I love most about this car was exactly what I thought it would offer. More rawness and an enhanced emotional/visceral experience that the Audi and other Porsche variants can not offer in one complete package.

Jamie140 09-02-2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D (Post 11619580)
Hey - the car hits 60 mph in 3 seconds. How often will I be doing that??; probably not too many but sure as hell good knowing it is feasible.

A real man does that through the drive thru!!

Thanks for the comments. Can't wait.

KenU 09-02-2014 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D (Post 11618987)

-Exterior- it can be a little tough on entry while seating but once your butt is planted it is very comfortable and fitting.

Jimmy,

Great post. I'm a little confused on the above comment. Could you please clarify? I get the part about once you're seated it's comfortable, but not the first part. Thanks

Also, thanks to to your other posts, in my "Panamera GTS AND GT3 owners" thread which were insightful, as were some of the other members who chimed in, I did place my order today for a GT3. In Rhodium but also thinking Guards Red. Probably going Rhodium because it's the one I saw initially and fell in love with - AND because I was never interested in a GT3 before coming upon this car at my dealership when there with my Panny. Sort of a "meant to be.." kinda thing. Oddly enough, this GT3 had the 5 spoke black wheels that's on the turbo, not the centerlocks. Dealershiop told me today they are not available on the GT3. But this one did have them.

OldGuy 09-02-2014 05:23 PM

Awesome post. What I like the best are your thoughts about the PDK. With this tranny I completely understand. And I WAS one of those, I WILL NEVER HAVE AN AUTO!!! people. But this Tranny makes everything fun. "I want to still shift" is like "I still want to hand wash our guest toilet instead of using the new fire hose and drain system I put in" One stinks and the other is fun but both do the same thing!

ipse dixit 09-02-2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D (Post 11618987)

-Wing – I have heard many complaints that it really obstructs their rear view. It is not a problem for me and no need for a rear camera. May be my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I found. But – best looking wing on the market and it looks like it belongs

I think the wing on the GT3 is fine. Yes, it obstructs the view, but at least it looks cool.

Try driving the new Jag F-Type with its little flipper wing up at speed. Blocks the entire rear view and you're stuck looking at a backwards upside down JAGUAR and a picture of cat that looks like its dead.

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 05:42 PM

KenU - I was trying to be objective and look at this car from more than just what my point of view might be. Getting in and out of this car is not a problem for me at all. But, if I want to be critical; the car is very low to the ground and the seats appear to be lower than say the 991 C2S. Almost a very go-kart type a feeling and I like that. But, some may complain it might be a little tough to get in to the seat but very comfortable once positioned. It is not extreme like the McLaren MP4 which you are stepping over the top of a tub and sitting way down. That car is a PIA, in my opinion, getting in and out of but I am also splitting hairs now and most may have no issues at all.

KenU 09-02-2014 05:47 PM

^
Gotcha! I happen to agree with you, thanks

Nick 09-02-2014 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by alaint101 (Post 11619203)

Great observation! I brake with my left foot and initially found the pedals awkward. Still not accustomed to the placement.

Regarding difficult getting in our out of the car, the only way I can do this is go in butt first with my feet still on the street and swing my feet into the car. I reverse the process getting out. I am 5'11' and weight 165 lbs and it is still a pain to get in and out of the car.

Tim, the right side mirror is a sore point with me. The C2S loaner I had had the feature and it make a huge difference while backing up. Don't understand why they did not include the feature especially with the tail blocking the rear view.:grr:

Tosilog 09-02-2014 06:45 PM

I hope the right hand tilt mirror comes with MY15. It could have been just an oversight with MY14

24Chromium 09-02-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tosilog (Post 11620027)
I hope the right hand tilt mirror comes with MY15. It could have been just an oversight with MY14

Historically, GT cars have never had this feature, so don't hold your breath.

mwar99 09-02-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 11620075)
Historically, GT cars have never had this feature, so don't hold your breath.

But it should just be a software update that could be done to make more customers happy...

It would be nice to have parallel parking so as to not curb a rim too.

0Q991 09-02-2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 11619971)
Great observation! I brake with my left foot and initially found the pedals awkward. Still not accustomed to the placement. Regarding difficult getting in our out of the car, the only way I can do this is go in butt first with my feet still on the street and swing my feet into the car. I reverse the process getting out. I am 5'11' and weight 165 lbs and it is still a pain to get in and out of the car. Tim, the right side mirror is a sore point with me. The C2S loaner I had had the feature and it make a huge difference while backing up. Don't understand why they did not include the feature especially with the tail blocking the rear view.:grr:

Totally agree, Nick!

Well. I don't see why it can't be a simple software update. But...perhaps logic is overrated. :)

alpine-al 09-02-2014 09:24 PM

Regarding the LED headlights not offering any better lighting at night, it is most likely due to US regulations that limit the light output. According to an article in the Sept 2014 issue of Car and Driver, the US limits headlights to no greater than 150,00 candelas (cd). In Europe the limit is 430,000 cd.

Typical luminous intensity of high beams:

--> Halogen 162,500 cd (energy drawn: 220 Watts per pair)
--> Xenon .. 175,000 cd (energy drawn: 140 Watts per pair)
--> LED ..... 237,500 cd (energy drawn : 72 Watts per pair)
--> Laser ... 425,000 cd (energy drawn : 25 Watts per pair)

In the US, the high beams are downgraded to get below the 150,000 cd limit.

9972RS 09-02-2014 09:30 PM

^ is this a software issue, i.e., reprogram for euro LED? If so, then the LED upgrade is worth it.

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 09:57 PM

^ That would be interesting. I am sure some one can manipulate that feature. But, while I was showing my Wife the LEDs( she was actually pretending to care); She did comment that she thinks they are very bright. If we were to have this updated to the Euro spec; would it drive other Drivers nuts with the brightness? Would it be too much?? You are asking to more than double it's output.

9972RS 09-02-2014 10:01 PM

why? the brighter the roads the safer it is for everyone. As long as it's not shining directly eye-level

Jimmy-D 09-02-2014 10:07 PM

^True but will it be a distraction as the car jumps around on uneven pavement. I just could not imagine twice the brightness. There must be a reason why the US has such strict regulations- or may no reason at all :)

Mike in CA 09-02-2014 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by alpine-al (Post 11620386)
Regarding the LED headlights not offering any better lighting at night, it is most likely due to US regulations that limit the light output. According to an article in the Sept 2014 issue of Car and Driver, the US limits headlights to no greater than 150,00 candelas (cd). In Europe the limit is 430,000 cd.

Based on those numbers LED's seem a bit of a waste. The Xenon's are limited as well although the color temperature and precise cut off that can be achieved are advantages as they would also be for the LED's.... for $3K+ more.

silverrules 09-02-2014 10:53 PM

Jimmy, you nailed it. Enjoyed reading it.
While we are on this topic, when in Auto mode why the gears shift to 6, or 7th gear at such low RPM? You would never do this in a manual car.

neanicu 09-02-2014 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by silverrules (Post 11620616)
Jimmy, you nailed it. Enjoyed reading it. While we are on this topic, when in Auto mode why the gears shift to 6, or 7th gear at such low RPM? You would never do this in a manual car.

Silverrules,it does the same thing in regular PDKs found on Carreras. To me it's annoying,but it's programmed to get to the tallest gear ASAP for fuel consumption reasons.

brass4321 09-02-2014 10:59 PM

I may need to remove from my build. No automatic high beam, limited output, I could add sport chrono and more for that.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 11620547)
Based on those numbers LED's seem a bit of a waste. The Xenon's are limited as well although the color temperature and precise cut off that can be achieved are advantages as they would also be for the LED's.... for $3K+ more.

Jimmy-D 09-03-2014 12:07 AM

^^^I have to confess; I have yet to even drive this car in Auto. I did once entering the garage :) - I am not kidding

silverrules 09-03-2014 12:10 AM

You are not missing much Jimmy.

squid42 03-19-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by alpine-al (Post 11620386)

The BMW folks had the same discussion with the same data (some bimmer... some forum... sorry).

They put US F80 M3 cars with and without LEDs on the same garage door.

There was no question that within the lighted area the LEDs were brighter. People did not measure further, that leaves three possibilities:
  • BMW exceeds US specs on the LEDs (possibly to upsell them)
  • BMW artificially cripples the Xeons in the US (definitely in an attempt to upsell the LEDs)
  • It is more complicated. The total candellight power is one thing, but where is it going? At the same candle light, can you bundle more of it in the supposed-to-be-illuminated area? How much stray light is there with the Xeons that goes elsewhere and is useless?

I never read that US spec. Is that a limit on brightness inside the illuminated area or a limit on total light output?

What about limits on light that is involuntarily ending up outside the specified area? Surely that much be regulated.